No announcement yet.

foolish's turn to evacuate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the good wishes, all! We just have a little wind. The video from Cuba, and Haiti is humbling. No telling what Ike will do once it gets into the gulf. Keep safe my gulf coast friends.

Comment

sorry about my lame attempt at dark humor.

Did you know that hurricane Hanna killed 500 people in Haiti? I had no idea it was that deadly a storm. for so much of humanity living in the coastal Tropics, fleeing typhoons and hurricanes is not a option. They just have to hunker down and pray.

Comment

It seems that the poorer Haitians don't have answers to their prayers. The people of Miami are trying their best to provide aid to our neighbors in Haiti and the Turks and Caicos. Cuba is still reeling from previous storms, I shudder to think what Ike is doing there.
        Originally posted by Wesley
        sorry about my lame attempt at dark humor.

Did you know that hurricane Hanna killed 500 people in Haiti? I had no idea it was that deadly a storm. for so much of humanity living in the coastal Tropics, fleeing typhoons and hurricanes is not a option. They just have to hunker down and pray.
        Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer
          Please stay safe, both of you and any other members near that area.

Is Tampa usually a safe area? (thinking for the future here .. lol)
          glad you're ok fo.

i've been through 4 major hurricaines since i've been here and have been lucky enough each time to not lose power. had some flooding and fallen trees but never had to evacuate.

Comment

Thanks, Sen.

The wind has started howling outside and we are getting driving rain in spurts. Ike is below central Cuba. I can not believe that we are getting this much weather so far away from a weakened storm!
            SAND KEY AUTOMATIC STATION JUST SOUTHWEST OF KEY WEST RECENTLY REPORTED SUSTAINED WINDS OF 50 MPH...80 KM/HR AND A GUST OF 67 MPH...107 KM/HR.
            NHC Advisory

Hope this is the worst of it.

lol - the sleep timer just turned off my big screen monitor, the only light on in the room. It took me a few seconds to realize that it wasn't a power outage.
            Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Sen! I first thought of you, when giving shout out to other Floridians, but when trying to recall some names... I completely neglected to write yours down! oh, and that guy in S. Fla. too.
              Glad you've weathered through those major hurricanes.

I was talking with a friend, about how someone needing care (dis or elderly), would manage if conditions made it impossible for caregivers to risk travel. If people were evacuated, are there plans to place those w/additional needs somewhere besides typical shelters? I'm thinking more about bathroom or other needs - not just access, but where one needs extra attention.

On a related note... I am thinking about MadP and jimnms down there in the south. Hopefully, MadP isn't gettin himself locked up and jim isn't some refugee again somewhere.... Be good guys, and stay in touch.

Comment

There are "special needs" shelters for those who have needs not met by the regular shelters. Shelters are refuge of last resort. I doubt that anyone with alternatives would chose to ride out a hurricane in that environment. Still, better a few tough days in a shelter than to be without assistance of any type. There are also special transportation provisions to serve people who are registered with the county as special needs residents in regards to emergency situations.
                Originally posted by chick
                Sen! I first thought of you, when giving shout out to other Floridians, but when trying to recall some names... I completely neglected to write yours down! oh, and that guy in S. Fla. too.
                Glad you've weathered through those major hurricanes.

I was talking with a friend, about how someone needing care (dis or elderly), would manage if conditions made it impossible for caregivers to risk travel. If people were evacuated, are there plans to place those w/additional needs somewhere besides typical shelters? I'm thinking more about bathroom or other needs - not just access, but where one needs extra attention.

On a related note... I am thinking about MadP and jimnms down there in the south. Hopefully, MadP isn't gettin himself locked up and jim isn't some refugee again somewhere.... Be good guys, and stay in touch.
                Foolish

Comment

Stay safe FO & SoFla & those in the path.
                  God bless y'all.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ike is a big storm. Even today it is factoring into our weather. Later today, we should return to sunny skies. As the clouds lift our thoughts turn to our neighbors to the West. Let's hope that the damage on the Gulf Coast is at the low end of the range of possibilities.

I don't know how anybody who hasn't dealt with these tropical cyclones can appreciate the impact they have on a region when they approach. There's days of paying increasingly greater attention to the path and intensity data. Then you start to batten down the hatches and wonder if you will hunker down, duck and cover; or evacuate. Neither choice offers much comfort. Either way, you're in for a bad time as the storm passes, an even worse time if it hits. Then there is a period of storm recovery which tries to restore the normal condition of your life, and collectively, the rhythm of your community.

Thankfully, Ike mostly missed us. But that does not mean that we escaped without damage. Local businesses lost many millions of dollars when the County ordered the tourists to leave our island chain. Even the local trade suffered as some residents obeyed the mandatory evacuation. The evacuees spent a bunch of money for gas, food and lodging when they left their homes. Many lost uncompensated days of work.

Government incurred increased expenses and reduced revenues. Schools have lost five days of school so far this season. Emergency responders spent extra hours away from their families.

Today is the day that my town will turn the corner from Ike. School re-opens, tourists start to drift back. Stores and restaurant cash registers will start to ring, but it will be days until they will achieve normal volume.

Blessedly, their won't be any storm related funerals to attend. No major debris removal projects or blue tarped roofs. No rotting food in refrigerators and freezers. No mold growing on residents walls. Yes, we got off lucky and we know it and are grateful.

No one who knows the deal will get complacent. There's always another storm. Hopefully it won't be this season (or this decade). But, the tropics are the tropics.

So why do we live here? If you've ever visited, you already know. If you haven't, you wouldn't understand.

You owe it to yourself to come find out.
                    Foolish

Comment

Glad you ok Foolish, y'all were very lucky. It may not be the case for those along the Texas Gulf Coast!

Comment

Originally posted by Foolish Old
                        There are "special needs" shelters for those who have needs not met by the regular shelters. Shelters are refuge of last resort. I doubt that anyone with alternatives would chose to ride out a hurricane in that environment. Still, better a few tough days in a shelter than to be without assistance of any type. There are also special transportation provisions to serve people who are registered with the county as special needs residents in regards to emergency situations.
                        Thanks for the info.

The pouring rain here reminded me to check back here. A gathering away from here sounds tempting right now!

Are you Fla. folk planning another get-together? Sounds like a fun plan... but I guess it'll have to wait til after this season?

I was there recently, and left right before Ike on that Thurs. I thought about swinging by the Keys ... but didn't get the chance. Like you said... I can see why some of you choose to live there and ride it out.

Comment

Working...
                        X