Clear All

Norwegian HC-bathroom

Well, what do you think about this
    TH 12, 43 years post

Funny, if you're not in a wheelchair.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

But the sign is not a joke, it is the real deal.
      TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Originally posted by Juke_spin
        Funny, if you're not in a wheelchair.
        I think only people in a chair would find the humor here.
        Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Comment

Originally posted by WheelieMike
          I think only people in a chair would find the humor here.
          Then I guess it's my fate to be both stupid and in a wheelchair.

WFE, I never thought it was anything but real. What is there to say; if you're in a wheelchair you have no business being out in public w/o a gorilla assistant being with you at all times? Norway, in many ways, is a strange country. It's gotten stranger since Leif's been living there.
          "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
          J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Originally posted by Juke_spin
            What is there to say; if you're in a wheelchair you have no business being out in public w/o a gorilla assistant being with you at all times? Norway, in many ways, is a strange country. It's gotten stranger since Leif's been living there.
            Jupp. that is exactly what the public mean and it makes me mad, and I have written mail after mail to the city and the prime minister and other ministers but nobody care.
            TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Originally posted by woman from Europe
              I think I see a green sign and no bathroom

Comment

WFE,

I think we in the US don;t realize just how accessible our country is today.
                T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

WFE, that sign is definitely sending a mixed message! I guess if you have a limp you get to use it, but if you are in a chair you had better carry your own pitcher with you!

Comment

Originally posted by woman from Europe
                    sign was designed by someone with Parkinson's?

Comment

How many HC bathrooms on Karm√ły, Leif?

I live in a part of town with 80 000 people and it is one public HC bathroom. And two pubs with accessible bathroom.

The picture is from Aker Brygge, I think, they have a restaurant with a bathroom like that. And the MacDonalds in Stortingsgata has a HC bathroom with two steps inside to reach the toilet.

Norway is a strange land
                      TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

A friend who lives in England has learned, when she calls to see if a place is accessible to some one in a w/c, if they say "yes" she asks "how many steps". She is surprised at the frequency she gets something like "only 2" or the like.

I ran into this one this summer, at a tiny store, that would have been almost impossible to make accessible. But in this case, it was a nice effort at doing the best they could to accommodate, not a case of the public mind set that you have to deal with.
                        Last edited by sjean423; 5 Sep 2008, 5:13 PM.
                        T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by sjean423
                          WFE,

I think we in the US don;t realize just how accessible our country is today.
                          I am jealous. I have said it before, I want political asylum in US , Norway doesn't follow the law against discrimination. Dis people are still not in the discrimination law, only about color, sex and religion.
                          TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Originally posted by sjean423
                            A friend who lives in England has learned, when she calls to see if a place is assessible to some one in a w/c, if they say "yes" she asks "how many steps". She is surprised at the frequency she gets something like "only 2" or the like.
                            I ask how do I come inside and do you have a bathroom I can use. I called the train station and asked and they said: We have two strng men who can carry you but unfortunately no accessible bathrooms.

I am bored, it is so easy some places to make a ramp.

Look my street, they don't take away the snow and all the shops have two steps to get inside.
                            Attached Files
                            TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Yes, we grumble a lot, but I must admit, about 90% of the places I want to go are accessible. (Barring the ridiculous, if the local is naturally inhospitable to a chair, like a mountain path or something.) I hate stores that you can't manage to get around racks, but take for granted that I can get into the store, get into a changing room if I want to try on clothes, and use the bathroom if need be.

I am always stunned by what you post about hospitals especially, you would think of all places they would be accommodating.

Is is just that the general public assumes that all people in wheelchairs are shut-ins and invalids, so that making places accessible would just be wasted effort?
                              T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X