Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, When Are You Gonna Get Out Of That Chair For Good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I probably wouldn't have been able to say it, but I would have wanted to reply that I would be out of the chair as soon as I could be, but it certainly didn't make me feel great to be asked as though I was the slow kid in class.

Funny story, somewhat related. I took my van for its annual inspection sticker yesterday. The emergency brake has a hand lever on it as part of the conversion controls, but the truth is that I can no more push that sucker down than I can do fine finger movements. I never use it, and it just sits there between inspections. The inspector asked me to put the emergency brake on and then put it in drive. Now in theory the car is not supposed to move, IF the brake is really down. It started crawling forward and I finally told the guy I didn't have the strength to depress it. He pushed it down and the car didn't move at all now in drive. Then he starts telling me I really should be lifting weights or something to build up my left arm so I can push this down, emphasizing the muscle building over and over. I didn't have the heart to explain to him I'm a quad, so I just laughed and said it was a good thing I didn't live in mountainous regions because I never had to use it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen
      The emergency brake has a hand lever on it as part of the conversion controls, but the truth is that I can no more push that sucker down than I can do fine finger movements.
      I had to chuckle when I read this. Doesn't it suck that they can get by with expecting folks to use this silly little modification. I have good upper body strength and good hand control, but I can't even begin to operate that thing either. I think most AB people couldn't manage it, yet it's a matter of lifting weights for us
      "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Comment

I used to walk with forearm crutches too. I'd even go to the mall and walk that way. Now my shoulders are wore out. USE THE CHAIR!!!!! And to hell with the stupid assholes who ask the stupid questions. USE THE CHAIR!!!! I wish I'd gone to the chair sooner! I can't sleep some nights because my shoulders hurt. USE THE CHAIR!!!! I'm 25 years post. PLEASE use the chair. Yes, it's OK to exercise, but don't go crazy thinking being on your legs all the time is good because it isn't.

Comment

Thanks for your comments, Parashooter. I guess it's easy for us to injure ourselves by falling prey to the ableism that's all around us. Aching shoulders are definately a side effect of using the crutches; and being upright for extended periods of time causes lots of extra pain in the back, legs, and feet as well.
          "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Comment

Working...
          X