Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many really think they deserved this injury or benefitted by it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya know, I played basketball for 35 some odd years. Loved it, lived it ,coached it, boys and girls. Had a key to a gym, opened 3 nights a week for open gym, played against HS and Coll. kids till mI was 45, then WHAM!
    disability, no ankles,nothing left in the legs, lupus had stolen my biggest outlet for steam, and relaxement I had.I didn't know how I was gonna live without it. I think that this time was a rehearsal for what was to come in my life. I did live w/o basketball, and I now live w/o feeling in my legs, and control of body functions. What's next? BULLSHIT--BRING IT ON BABY!!!
    Hit me in the face with it, I have too many people in my life that I want to think I couldn't handle it.
    I do say " Crap ," every morning I awaken and realize I'm para. but ya know what? gotta "crap" sometime so may as well get up and be prepared to get on the crapper eventually in the day, and oh yeah, LIVE ALSO.
    Sorry, started to rant, but ya'll understand I hope.

Comment

How much of this constant angry rant is because YOU want a cure for YOURSELF? Hey, go for it, but realize that many have different priorities - and my motivation is about nil because:

a) I've lived with SCI four and a half decades and realized there wasn't ever going to be a cure for ME. It's nice that science and technology are finally circling close to a cure but it changes not at all that the decade or so I've got left to live will be cureless - even if procedures are found to help out recent traumas

b) Sort of an extension of the above; the mindset from living so long resolved to my traumatized condition seems well enough set not to be dethroned by recent events regarding Escr, etc..

Advocacy still does tempt me but inertia wins the day. I'd like to do some public speaking in spite of a fear of it but can't see my sixty-four y/o gimped self having much of an audience in the youth/health sky-pie'd US of A.

So here I sit with my ruined body somehow staying alive and interested in 'what will happen'. Will we start making the necessary adjustments to be responsible parts of the biosphere? Will I live to see anything approximating a cure being applied to younger injuries in spite of corporate interest to the contrary? Will DA ever admit when he's wrong?

Originally posted by Leif
      How do you bang girls?

Physiologically and anatomically the body gets ruined with SCI, the degree depending on the damage, and that is a fact, and I don’t think any can lie themselves away from that. And I actually don’t see anyone has done it here either, since there seems to be a consensus that SCI is crap. But, I think I can see some put up a rosy picture every now and then from days they think is joyful, thinking because they’d forgotten how a joyful day really was, or they have suppressed the past joyful days feelings, to lie to themselves -like fictive ideas of banging girls from Brazilian bars.

And Timaru is wrong. It’s quite possible to be working for a cure for years and still live this damned ruined life, travel and meet interesting peoples. Some of you guys just lack the necessary cure stamina for some reason, but if you had it, the cure would have been here.
      "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
      J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Originally posted by Juke_spin
        How much of this constant angry rant is because YOU want a cure for YOURSELF? Hey, go for it, but realize that many have different priorities - and my motivation is about nil because:

a) I've lived with SCI four and a half decades and realized there wasn't ever going to be a cure for ME. It's nice that science and technology are finally circling close to a cure but it changes not at all that the decade or so I've got left to live will be cureless - even if procedures are found to help out recent traumas

b) Sort of an extension of the above; the mindset from living so long resolved to my traumatized condition seems well enough set not to be dethroned by recent events regarding Escr, etc..

Advocacy still does tempt me but inertia wins the day. I'd like to do some public speaking in spite of a fear of it but can't see my sixty-four y/o gimped self having much of an audience in the youth/health sky-pie'd US of A.

So here I sit with my ruined body somehow staying alive and interested in 'what will happen'. Will we start making the necessary adjustments to be responsible parts of the biosphere? Will I live to see anything approximating a cure being applied to younger injuries in spite of corporate interest to the contrary? Will DA ever admit when he's wrong?
        If people like you had done their share in the past the cure would have been here. -No bloody wonder there are no treatments, when nobody cares, even not the SCIed themselves.

Comment

If people like you had done their share in the past the cure would have been here. -No bloody wonder there are no treatments, when nobody cares, even not the SCIed themselves.
          If it's alright for everything to be about you and your goals why can't it be alright for me to exclude you and your goals from mine? How can you have so lost your way; be making so little sense and be so selfish?

I was rehabbed at the Rusk institute 1963 - '64' where the era of HMOs wasn't even on the horizon yet. Outside of a lot of encouragement to engage in the activities and work hard toward independence the atmosphere was relaxed and there was no focus or even mention of advocacy. I came from a very dysfunctional family which offered negative support - I had to get away from there ASAP to have a chance at survival, let alone independence, and with the help of an acquaintance I made in rehab with clout and connections I was able to escape to the U. of I., which had one of the few handicapped student programs in the country at he time. Even there there was no mention of advocacy; the focus seemed to be on social adjustment and passing your courses. A few of the guys and girls I met in the program there were anticipating an early cure but most of us, including all the level headed, didn't see that happening with the state of research/medical-technology at the time for the foreseeable future.

I realistically put it so far on a back burner that the pot stayed dead cold - and so did everybody else SCI I knew or buddied with.

That's the chronology of my lack of advocacy and you would have fared little if any better. But of course, you don't give a shit about anyone else's history or perspective so I guess you'll get to stay angry and disillusioned with all the rest of us for failing to live up to your standard and expectations.
          J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

If it's alright for everything to be about you and your goals why can't it be alright for me to exclude you and your goals from mine? How can you have so lost your way; be making so little sense and be so selfish?

I was rehabbed at the Rusk institute 1963 - '64' where the era of HMOs wasn't even on the horizon yet. Outside of a lot of encouragement to engage in the activities and work hard toward independence the atmosphere was relaxed and there was no focus or even mention of advocacy. I came from a very dysfunctional family which offered negative support - I had to get away from there ASAP to have a chance at survival, let alone independence, and with the help of an acquaintance I made in rehab with clout and connections I was able to escape to the U. of I., which had one of the few handicapped student programs in the country at he time. Even there there was no mention of advocacy; the focus seemed to be on social adjustment and passing your courses. A few of the guys and girls I met in the program there were anticipating an early cure but most of us, including all the level headed, didn't see that happening with the state of research/medical-technology at the time for the foreseeable future.

I realistically put it so far on a back burner that the pot stayed dead cold - and so did everybody else SCI I knew or buddied with.

That's the chronology of my lack of advocacy and you would have fared little if any better. But of course, you don't give a shit about anyone else's history or perspective so I guess you'll get to stay angry and disillusioned with all the rest of us for failing to live up to your standard and expectations.
            It’s important to work for cures and have cures so that newly injured people will be able to not loose too much function in the acute phase and then be able to have more return of functions later on, and also to have cures so that chronics also will have return of functions and less pain. You of all should know that, but if you don’t care about that, fine. And stop you’re personal attacks.

Comment

It’s important to work for cures and have cures so that newly injured people will be able to not loose too much function in the acute phase and then be able to have more return of functions later on, and also to have cures so that chronics also will have return of functions and less pain. You of all should know that, but if you don’t care about that, fine. And stop you’re personal attacks.
              I'll stop telling the blunt truth about you as soon as you stop addressing me dismissively and with disrespect.
              J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Originally posted by Daleb
                i can't even begin to imagine.
                Dale,

It just becomes one's life. In some ways, I'm lucky this happened to me as a child. I was a resilient little bugger.

Chris.
                Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Comment

I'll stop telling the blunt truth about you as soon as you stop addressing me dismissively and with disrespect.
                  If you want the blunt truth, it is that you are more interested in useless, none important polemic, than you are in important things. Have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by Imight
                    giving it another year or 2, if not im outta here.

dont know about anyone else, but yes, this is the worst thing that could have happened to me....and no I dont plan on dealing with this for too long...

thats a promise i made to myself...
                    Promises were made to be broken.

It's still fairly soon for you, and you're clearly a smart guy (which definitely helps). Things won't necessarily get easier, but usually they do. Just give yourself time.

As for worst thing that could have happened to you - I'd kill, literally kill, to have your functional level. There are many people on these boards far worse off than you.

I'm not saying it makes your current life easy. No, even low-level paraplegia isn't fair. But you need some perspective when making blanket statements.

Chris.
                    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Comment

Leif,

You honestly have no idea what the 70s & 80s were like for those with SCI, let alone the 60s. I find your quote above personally offensive.

You are basically blaming your current paralysis on those of us that were injured before you. Do you honestly believe your current condition is in large part due to the complacency of those injured before you?

If so, I've got two words for you...

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing
                        Nobody "wants" to do this. The difference is that most people realize that it isn't the worst thing that could ever happen to them, that bad things happen to everyone and that life can go on in a positive, even joyful way.

C.
                        Death isn't the worst thing to happen either. It's inevitable and is part of the cycle of life.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeus
                          Leif,

You honestly have no idea what the 70s & 80s were like for those with SCI, let alone the 60s. I find your quote above personally offensive.

You are basically blaming your current paralysis on those of us that were injured before you. Do you honestly believe your current condition is in large part due to the complacency of those injured before you?

If so, I've got two words for you...

Chris.
                          Chris,

Given you are born in -74, I honestly neither think you know how the 60s or even the 70s was, for that matter.

And my post above addressed to Juke can be twisted for sure, if one wants to do that, but my point is to clarify; one of the reasons there are no cures for spinal cord injuries today is the lack of involvement for finding cures by the SCI grout at large. -I think you will agree on that.

And no, I am not blaming my paralysis on nobody, have never done so, and will never do so.

I am just saying that the spinal cord injury society must be one of the most divided groups here on earth, with the majority not interested in working for cures. But if more work had been put into it, in the past and at the present, one would have been further with therapies for spinal cord injuries, which would have been a good thing. -I think you will agree on that as well.

And if you are not interested in cures for others, me included, I have one word for you… (Sad).

Leif.

Comment

Oh, and as for respect and your disrespect for cures. You should at least have some respect for the circa 50% voting SCI has ruined their life (the other 50% are fine).

Comment

What's the point of all the lecturing and arguing over how someone ELSE feels about their injury and situation??

and, on what imight may feel and believe at the moment, of course some disagree, but is his perspective any less valid or legitimate? Disagreeing, and sharing you're own experiences and evolving thoughts about your own injury (some who've admittedly taken years to get to that place) is one thing, but imposing that onto him (or others) as if anything other than any 'insight' you've gained is ignorant and wrong, is no less ignorant or lacking in perspective, especially when he hasn't been imposing his own feeling/beliefs onto others.

Considering some of imight's posts since first joining here, I can see some change in perspective and attitude, particularly on relationships, socializing, and travel. I can't say I've seen all posts, but from what I've seen, it's clearly evolved, maybe not to where he might like or find acceptable, but possibly do-able in some respects, and maybe even (dare I say) a little better and easier to deal with than what it was like even a few months ago.

Some may never find this kind of injury acceptable. Why should they have too? It doesn't mean they don't deal, or even manage to enjoy some things in their lives, or maybe even manage to enjoy their lives.

Comment

the point is to share ideas and thoughts and opinions and beliefs on the 'deservedness' and 'helpfulness' (or lack there of ) of SCI, as on topic to the OP as is possible. dialogue between sentients being an organic process, it evolves in a direction based on the will of the participants.

we've all had the pleasure of conversing with folks AROUND THE WORLD on this topic.

i know of no where else this opportunity exists.

as with any conversation it is ripe with individuality and should be embraced, IMO.

is there room in your mind to consider that imight's 'evolution', as you have noted it, may have something to do with his involvement within this community? should he be ignored? it seems to me like folks genuinely care about his feelings and are sadden to hear of his lack of hope, in his words, live a 'ruined life'. (imight - sorry to speak of you as if you weren't in the room, this is just an illustration of a point, not personal.)

chick - your post reads an awful lot like a lecture regarding your opinion of the pointlessness of lecturing people about their opinions on the internet. more than a little disingenuous, IMO. argumentum ad hominem tu quoque.

Originally posted by chick
                                What's the point of all the lecturing and arguing over how someone ELSE feels about their injury and situation??

and, on what imight may feel and believe at the moment, of course some disagree, but is his perspective any less valid or legitimate? Disagreeing, and sharing you're own experiences and evolving thoughts about your own injury (some who've admittedly taken years to get to that place) is one thing, but imposing that onto him (or others) as if anything other than any 'insight' you've gained is ignorant and wrong, is no less ignorant or lacking in perspective, especially when he hasn't been imposing his own feeling/beliefs onto others.

Considering some of imight's posts since first joining here, I can see some change in perspective and attitude, particularly on relationships, socializing, and travel. I can't say I've seen all posts, but from what I've seen, it's clearly evolved, maybe not to where he might like or find acceptable, but possibly do-able in some respects, and maybe even (dare I say) a little better and easier to deal with than what it was like even a few months ago.

Some may never find this kind of injury acceptable. Why should they have too? It doesn't mean they don't deal, or even manage to enjoy some things in their lives, or maybe even manage to enjoy their lives.
                                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Working...
                                X