Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many really think they deserved this injury or benefitted by it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tiger Racing
    The only ones that really tend to be compared are healthy, independent people who happen to have a disability and those who are ventilator dependent, racked with pain or otherwise extremely limited due to health issues or physical incapacity. For one of the former to proclaim their lives as pointless or unlivable when faced with one of the latter who is happy and productive is truly bizarre to every rational person that I know.

Not really. There are an additional 12% of people who feel that their injury helped them in some way or flat out saved their lives.

C.
    TR, have you been taking smart pills lately; you're beginning to make a scarey amt of sense, and I'm not just talking about here.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Originally posted by Juke_spin
      TR, have you been taking smart pills lately; you're beginning to make a scarey amt of sense, and I'm not just talking about here.
      Uh-oh. Everybody get out their parkas. Juke and I appear to be agreeing on something, Hel must be freezing over.

C.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing
        Uh-oh. Everybody get out their parkas. Juke and I appear to be agreeing on something, Hel must be freezing over.

C.
        I've been linking and bumping Dr Young's blueberry and walnut brain boost post for a while now.* Have you maybe availed yourself.

*6% walnut/blueberry diet improves cognition
        J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

I've been linking and bumping Dr Young's blueberry and walnut brain boost post for a while now.* Have you maybe availed yourself.
          Well, I did just recently bake homemade blueberry muffins and I do eat almonds on a fairly regular basis...

C.

Comment

ROFLMO...this thread was worth last 4 posts if nothing else i had no idea what i started with something i thoght would be laughed at

you are all great at sharing, at laughing, crying, yes, even bickering. as LTF said somewhere (i think, well, others have too) the spice of life.

many a night i get through just by reading here.

Comment

Originally posted by cass
              ROFLMO...
              It's good to "hear" you laugh. I know things haven't been easy on you lately. I'd happily spin around in a handbasket with Juke for a day or two if it amused you, but don't expect us to keep agreeing for long. We don't want the earth to spin off its axis or anything. All things in moderation.

C.

Comment

oh carol, you made me laugh again! ty! you and juke in a handbasket to...hell? i'll prob have dreams of that tonight....kinda like the Wizard of Oz balloon J/K! ty!

btw, i neglected the A in ROFLMAO....i'm tired! also been making arrangements to meet my neighbor at our fav rest. the neighbor whose wife died. other neighbors are coming, too, so am very pleased. lynn would be so happy.
                Last edited by cass; 9 Sep 2008, 3:47 AM.

Comment

I was thinking of this while lying in bed last night and while Imight's point of view may stir hurt emotions in others, I think it's still a valid perspective.

My mother had breast cancer and I believe Cory has discussed his mother's health issues as well and has said his mother told him she'd take what happened to her over his injury. While I'm angry that my mother suffered so much because of having a masectomy and having it not heal normally so it required much more done, I still think my mother would choose to have gone through that and be able-bodied today rather than an incurable condition for life.

As for people who died of cancer, I think they wanted to live because they'd be healthy and able-bodied if it weren't for the cancer whereas plenty people with an incurable condition, like a spinal cord injury, choose death over life. You can't compare the lives of an otherwise healthy individual if not for cancer and a disabled individual and claim both mindsets are the same. I hope that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Type Fran├žais
                    I was thinking of this while lying in bed last night and while Imight's point of view may stir hurt emotions in others, I think it's still a valid perspective.

My mother had breast cancer and I believe Cory has discussed his mother's health issues as well and has said his mother told him she'd take what happened to her over his injury. While I'm angry that my mother suffered so much because of having a masectomy and having it not heal normally so it required much more done, I still think my mother would choose to have gone through that and be able-bodied today rather than an incurable condition for life.

As for people who died of cancer, I think they wanted to live because they'd be healthy and able-bodied if it weren't for the cancer whereas plenty people with an incurable condition, like a spinal cord injury, choose death over life. You can't compare the lives of an otherwise healthy individual if not for cancer and a disabled individual and claim both mindsets are the same. I hope that makes sense.
                    I don't find this makes sense or is true. While the IRL records may show something of an increase of sci suicides over ab point for point, the actual numbers and percentages are small in relation to those who choose to get on with their lives as best they can.

Imight's point of view may be valid as was the view point of Adolf Hitler - up to the point of believing he could/should impose it on the minorities he hated in the real world. Ms X's belief in a winged, crocodile/dragon god is valid too for that matter but if/when she posts it to a public message board she may well be faced with disagreement.
                    J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

I don't find this makes sense or is true. While the IRL records may show something of an increase of sci suicides over ab point for point, the actual numbers and percentages are small in relation to those who choose to get on with their lives as best they can.
                      Well, I understand that, but it's typical to hear a person facing an incurable condition for life expressing death wishes rather than someone who has cancer. The two are vastly different scenarios. The cancer is life-threatening, and thus, you cling to life, whereas a spinal cord injury is life-enduring and you lament.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Type Fran├žais
                        Well, I understand that, but it's typical to hear a person facing an incurable condition for life expressing death wishes rather than someone who has cancer. The two are vastly different scenarios. The cancer is life-threatening, and thus, you cling to life, whereas a spinal cord injury is life-enduring and you lament.
                        One can lament or one can move on and do something with their life.

Something I am sure many of those with terminal cancer wish they could do but are not given the chance because they run of out time.

Comment

Originally posted by orangejello

Something I am sure many of those with terminal cancer wish they could do but are not given the chance because they run of out time.
                          That's true as well. I knew a mother who died and left my friend and his little sister when they were children. I can say with certainty she'd probably have opted to have a spinal cord injury and live for her children than leave them behind. Such disparities in life! I'd lay down my life for a mother who wants to live for her children.
                          Last edited by Le Todd; 10 Sep 2008, 10:20 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Originally posted by orangejello

I worded that awkwardly. Instead of "do something with their life" I meant something closer to "make the most of their life"

Regardless of my difficulty in finding the right words though, my point in both posts is basically the same.
                            Last edited by orangejello; 9 Sep 2008, 11:43 AM.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with NOT wanting to endure this for another 30 years.

I know I'm not....

Can it be done, of course it can, does one want to? For me...NO!

Free choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Imight
                                There's nothing wrong with NOT wanting to endure this for another 30 years.
                                True.
                                C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

Working...
                                X