Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rehablilitation Centers other than Craig Hospital.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rehablilitation Centers other than Craig Hospital.

I am looking for a rehabilitation center that is located somewhere it never snows so that I can learn to drive. I am hoping to find one in Arizona, because I will be moving there soon anyway. I would love to go to Craig, but by the time I get it will most likely be winter, and I refuse to learn how to drive in the snow. So I am looking for some help in finding somewhere I can become totally independent all at once with no snow!!!! Can anyone help me??? If you can, please email me at bottle_nose_dolphin@yahoo.com or here to let me know.
    "It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals. They seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart."--Anne Frank

Atlanta

www.sheperdcenter.org
    Jake's Pop

Comment

snow

denver is really not that bad some doctors claim there is atleast 1 day a week year around they can play golf.

but i think miami would be a good choice

Comment

University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle

Snow is quite rare in Seattle. I learned to drive at the UW last November and have yet to encounter any snow. The UW has a great reputation for rehab too.

We've had one storm this year but it melted quickly. However, I grew up in Minnesota and also worked at a ski resort in Utah so I am not worried about driving in snow.

Good luck in making your choice.

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you for all of your advice. I will take it under considerable attention while deciding which place will be the best fit for me!!!!
          "It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals. They seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart."--Anne Frank

Comment

It only snows in Houston every 10-12 years -- you could try TIRR. My husband did his rehab there and while I had some complaints about the doctors AFTER he left, the rehab he had was good.
            http://www.tirr.org

Comment

RIC in Chicago is great. They can get you through the driving program in four days.

FYI it does snow in AZ...
              Paralyze resistance with persistence.
              T-12

Comment

Since being able to drive is a big part of life, I moved the thread. I hope it gets an increase in replies.
                Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

why do you have to go so far away to learn to drive?
                  Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

I agree with Liz, but you're only about 500 miles from Sheperd in GA and Kessler in NJ. Atlanta gets a few flakes per winter and West Orange can get a lot more than that. You really don't need a rehabilitation institute to learn how to use hand controls - especially if you drove before the sci.
                    Good luck,
                    Carl
                    Last edited by carl; 18 Sep 2006, 5:51 PM.

Comment

i'm guessing you drove before injury based on profile info.

you're a low level para so all you need is basic hand controls. i agree you shouldn't need a rehab center for this. i am c7 and i use basic hand controls. while i drove maybe 3 or 4 times in rehab, it was a terrible experience.

7 years out of rehab, i bought a minivan, got it equipped and practiced in a parking lot with a friend. then i went to the dmv and took the tests.

but, i understand anxiety and/or fear over this issue. after all, it took me 7 yrs to overcome it (and minivan conversion technology).

but you may also be looking for transfer techniques for your wheelchair into a car. i still believe most people really work these things out for themselves with a few tips.

sure you need a rehab center?

btw, Vantage (one of the leading minivan conversion companies) is located in Phoenix. you didn't say where in AZ you're moving to, but you might give them a call.

http://www.vantagemobility.com/

i see they have registration on their site now. let me find the 800 number.

here: (800) 348-VANS

they may have suggestions on driver training in the phoenix area. i also found this in phoenix, they may have suggestions:

http://www.phoenixrehab.com/index.html
                      Last edited by cass; 19 Sep 2006, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Hi

Originally posted by Liz321
                        why do you have to go so far away to learn to drive?
                        I don't need to go far away. When I first posted this post I was planning on going to school in Arizona so I thought it would work out better if I went to one there or in Colorado because that's still close. Now several years later, I've moved to WV, and am going to school here. I'm planning on most likely going somewhere closer to me than farther! Thanks!! <3scigirl
                        Last edited by scigirl; 30 Sep 2006, 1:49 AM.

Comment

Hi

Originally posted by cass
                          i'm guessing you drove before injury based on profile info.

you're a low level para so all you need is basic hand controls. i agree you shouldn't need a rehab center for this. i am c7 and i use basic hand controls. while i drove maybe 3 or 4 times in rehab, it was a terrible experience.

7 years out of rehab, i bought a minivan, got it equipped and practiced in a parking lot with a friend. then i went to the dmv and took the tests.

but, i understand anxiety and/or fear over this issue. after all, it took me 7 yrs to overcome it (and minivan conversion technology).

but you may also be looking for transfer techniques for your wheelchair into a car. i still believe most people really work these things out for themselves with a few tips.

sure you need a rehab center?

btw, Vantage (one of the leading minivan conversion companies) is located in Phoenix. you didn't say where in AZ you're moving to, but you might give them a call.

http://www.vantagemobility.com/

i see they have registration on their site now. let me find the 800 number.

here: (800) 348-VANS

they may have suggestions on driver training in the phoenix area. i also found this in phoenix, they may have suggestions:

http://www.phoenixrehab.com/index.html
                          I want to thank you for all the information you gave me in this email. I was in my accident 7 years ago and am still not ready to drive. I'm just going to wait and see how things go. I'm no longer going to Arizona so finding things there isn't going to work for me now! LOL. But thanks again for all the hard work you did for me.

I misinformed everyone about what I was thinking when I said rehab center. I just meant somewhere that only teaches people with disabilities to drive. I don't mean a impatient thing, just outpatient. I was living in MI and had to deal with snow a lot and it's the one time of weather that I will never drive in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was also had a very bad driver's ed teacher. By my count there were 3 of us who had serious life defying accidents leaving two of us paralyzed and one with broken bones. This was all by the one teacher. I don't know how many more accidents if any there were. I only know about these because I knew the other two drivers!

I am not getting a van either. Before my accident I drove my parent's van and couldn't control it all that well, and I'm way to scared to try again now that I'm in a chair. I was able to find a thing that goes on top of your car, and has this button you can push. When the button is pushed a arm comes down folds the chair picks it up, turns it sideways and places it in this camper thing on top of the car. It works really well and will help you from getting hurt trying to lift your chair into a car after a transfer! <3scigirl
                          Last edited by scigirl; 30 Sep 2006, 1:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scigirl
                            I was in my accident 7 years ago and am still not ready to drive.
                            Seriously? What are you waiting for? What are you afraid of? I can't imagine not being able to drive for that long. How frustrating that must be. Don't you miss the independence? I have a good friend who is in her 40s and she's never learned to drive. I don't get it. I've been torqued up for years over not being able to drive every kind of car that I want to (manual transmissions). Not driving at all would have made my head explode.

I was able to find a thing that goes on top of your car, and has this button you can push. When the button is pushed a arm comes down folds the chair picks it up, turns it sideways and places it in this camper thing on top of the car. It works really well and will help you from getting hurt trying to lift your chair into a car after a transfer!
                            Do you actually know people that have been hurt tossing their chairs into their cars? I don't mean to pry, but do you have other physical limitations besides the paraplegia? I ask because I don't understand why a para your age would be worried about this. That kind of chair lift costs hundreds (thousands?) of dollars, will add to the cost of fuel and looks awful. I would imagine it would also beat the Hel out of the top of your car, lowering its resale value. Overall, I don't see the upside if one doesn't really need the thing.

C.

Comment

Answers

Originally posted by Tiger Racing
                              Seriously? What are you waiting for? [1A]What are you afraid of? [2A] I can't imagine not being able to drive for that long. How frustrating that must be. Don't you miss the independence? [3A] I have a good friend who is in her 40s and she's never learned to drive. I don't get it. I've been torqued up for years over not being able to drive every kind of car that I want to (manual transmissions). Not driving at all would have made my head explode.
                              [1B] Do you actually know people that have been hurt tossing their chairs into their cars? [2B] I don't mean to pry, but do you have other physical limitations besides the paraplegia? I ask because I don't understand why a para your age would be worried about this. [3B] That kind of chair lift costs hundreds (thousands?) of dollars, will add to the cost of fuel and looks awful. [4B]I would imagine it would also beat the Hel out of the top of your car, lowering its resale value. Overall, I don't see the upside if one doesn't really need the thing.

C.
                              1A-I'm waiting until I am no longer afraid of driving. I'm also not allowed to drive at the moment because of the medication I'm on. Hopefully one day I'll be off that medication and can then seriously think about driving.
                              2A-No I don't miss the independence. Why? Because I haven't lost any independence. I live in a town that allows me to get around in my chair without the need of assistance. Well for the most part--some sidewalks can be pretty bad. LOL. If I need to go somewhere that I can't wheel to there are several transportation options I can choose from. I'm never late and nothing has happened that made me frustrated and wish that I would be able to drive again.
                              3A-Not everyone feels the need to drive. I was in four car accident's in four years. I have also been in several close calls. I think that my fear of driving isn't unreasonable.

Now, I used to be afraid of everything in the car. I would feel scared if we were to close to the car in front of us, or the car behind us was to close, or when turning that the car coming in the other lane was to close for us to make that turn, of being between two semi's on the highway. I would frequently scream because of the fears I just listed. I couldn't control it or see it coming. I would also state that I would never drive a car again!! Seven years later I'm interested in considering learning to drive, and am no longer scared to be in the car, and haven't screamed in over four years..

After the fourth accident and one very close call with a semi I would only let two people drive me. If they were busy and couldn't take me anywhere then I wouldn't go. I've also gotten over that fear. I think I'm doing remarkably well for everything I've gone through these past years.

1B-Not personally
                              2B-No I don't. The reason that I'm worried about this is because of my age. If you are in a chair from a young age and lift your chair in yourself you WILL get arthritis. This camper will lessen that. That's also one of the reasons I have battery operated wheels. I would like to be able to put off getting bad arthritis for as long as possible!!!!
                              3B-I was in a car accident when I was paralyzed. Because of the insurance my mom had the insurance company HAS to pay for any and all expenses not covered by other insurance companies. SO what that means is that I don't have to pay for this lift.
                              4B-I don't think it would damage the car if it's secured right. I also don't think that will be a major concern for me because my health is more important to me than a car. Hope this answers your questions. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X