seeking others w/ CENTRAL CORD SYNDROME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

back to work?

My long term disability insurer wants me to start preparing to work, I went to fl vocational rehab, they are underfunded and can't help everyone that needs it, I'll go to the head of the group, but think it's wasted on me. I'm on ssdi and have an adequate income, I'm 60 and was close to retirement, I really don't have the stamina to work, just my daily routine keeps me busy enough, when I do projects, it totally knocks me out. I'll do what they ask of me and would be ecstatic if I could get off disability and work my old job in the powerplant, but that won't happen. I actually want to use these next few years getting stronger to enjoy my later years to the fullest, what people normally look to do in our retirement years, I had planned on completing the appalachian trail and to sail to Europe, my sailboat is still waiting for me.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Comment

Originally posted by trekker6 View Post
      My long term disability insurer wants me to start preparing to work, I went to fl vocational rehab, they are underfunded and can't help everyone that needs it, I'll go to the head of the group, but think it's wasted on me. I'm on ssdi and have an adequate income, I'm 60 and was close to retirement, I really don't have the stamina to work, just my daily routine keeps me busy enough, when I do projects, it totally knocks me out. I'll do what they ask of me and would be ecstatic if I could get off disability and work my old job in the powerplant, but that won't happen. I actually want to use these next few years getting stronger to enjoy my later years to the fullest, what people normally look to do in our retirement years, I had planned on completing the appalachian trail and to sail to Europe, my sailboat is still waiting for me.
      These are hard decisions, aren't they? I'm trying to balance work and physical workouts. Lately work has been edging out the workouts. That concerns me somewhat for regaining stamina and ability. Also, the cold has been a bear. That, and the snow, also remind me that I can't go skiing. At least, not this year. Maybe later, if my wife will let me. We met through skiing, but now she hates it because that's how I got my sci.

Understand about getting worn out from projects. I was up and down a ladder for three hours pulling leaves out of my clogged gutters on Thursday afternoon before our snow storm. Managed to clear 3 out of 4 of the large gutters. Was shot afterwards.

I hope you regain enough strength and ability to attain your goals, trekker6. It may happen.

Are you in touch with Cajun? He's ahead of the two of us by about 8 or 9 months. He's an inspiration. Similar challenges. You should compare notes with him.
      CCS/Walking Quad

Comment

Cajun is in the merry band of walking q's also.

I've been trying some basic resistance and stretches. I've recently learned the larger muscle groups can outshine the smaller muscle groups. That makes complete sense when I think about my own recent struggles.

Sadly they don't rent out the ultralight chairs, I'll go for a store chair on the days my husband can't go with me to drag mine out of the car.

I've gotten a better handle (I think) on what's happening with me.

I've noticed....this is kicking my butt!! But I'm too stubborn to quit
        CCS/Walker C6...it's a long story

Comment

I've read cajuns post and would love to reach his level of ability, my spasticity gets worse the more I walk, but I will keep trying. I can't believe you went on a ladder and did gutters, I've been on a ladder o9nce and was absolutely terrified then froze up physically.
          "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Comment

Lav
            If you are looking for an ultalight, have you tried looking for a used one? craigslist, online classifieds, someone on here was offering them for 500 dollars I think, not sure if they were ultralight, but they looked pretty good.

Comment

I should try that...it's evident...I've really screwed up working things evenly! Sooo this is a while of fixing. I'll give it a check Trek thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Revis View Post
                These are hard decisions, aren't they? I'm trying to balance work and physical workouts. Lately work has been edging out the workouts. That concerns me somewhat for regaining stamina and ability. Also, the cold has been a bear. That, and the snow, also remind me that I can't go skiing. At least, not this year. Maybe later, if my wife will let me. We met through skiing, but now she hates it because that's how I .
                this is my major issue right now also. It seems like I don't have the time for physical therapy or workouts because after 8 hrs a day I'm dead and I've got nothing left. What is left goes to my 9 yr old son. Finding that balance his very difficult.

Evonne
                I have a spinal cord injury...a spinal cord injury DOES NOT have me!

walking quad-Central Cord Syndrome

Comment

Hoping and trusting all of you CCS friends had a good Thanksgiving. I pushed myself to get out and do some shopping with my wife. Boy do I hate to stand still for any period of time over 1 minute. How about the rest of you? I've also been out in the yard trimming bushes and raking up downed pine cones from all the high winds we've had. I'm coming up on the one year anniversary of my injury. That's starting to wear on me mentally. That, along with the 6 feet of snow at all the open ski resorts...nuts. I really wish I could try to ski, but fear I would be done in about one or two runs. It has been nice enough to get out for some walks. How about the rest of you?
                  CCS/Walking Quad

Comment

I said to heck with it and learned to shovel snow with my cane. Took 3 hours...the snow was ankle deep....I felt like crap and am still dealing with a few bad areas. But...I did it!!! I did something, wild, reckless, stupid and fun. I'm proud.

I'm 10 months out as of yesterday. my surgeon released me today until/ unless I notice changes. So I guess this is pretty much it for things physically. I'll have ups and downs but things are good.

I had a fine thanksgiving and hope you did too! Heading in to Christmas wrapping and baking....hand therapy

Comment

hand pain

hello fellow CCS community members.....quick question. Does anyone have the burning hand/arm pain/numbness??? If so what has worked for you? Does the cold weather make the pain worse?? Also have you noticed any skin changes on your hands such as thickening or leathery skin??

Thanks for the input

faceplant ( I actually did a faceplant when I got injured)
                      Last edited by faceplant; 6 Dec 2011, 1:26 AM. Reason: changes
                      ACDF C5/C6, C6/C7 9/2011& Central Cord Syndrome

Comment

Originally posted by faceplant View Post
                        hello fellow CCS community members.....quick question. Does anyone have the burning hand/arm pain/numbness??? If so what has worked for you? Does the cold weather make the pain worse?? Also have you noticed any skin changes on your hands such as thickening or leathery skin??
                        Hello Faceplant. I have tingling/buzzing and numbness in both hands to a degree. My thumbs and first digits are worse than the other fingers. My left hand is worse than my right. My arms are stiff and there are prickly feelings on the outside of my upper arms. I notice these symptoms get worse as the day moves along and I get more tired. If I'm relaxing in my recliner they improve. Cold weather makes the hands/arms and fingers more stiff. I try not to let myself get cold for any length of time, but it's hard because my hands are always colder than the rest of my body. If I get up and move my arms and hands it helps with the stiffness. I've not had any skin changes on my hands, but notice that my skin is drier and flakes more. Maybe that's the neurontin and dry, cold temps working in combo.

What are your symptom?
                        CCS/Walking Quad

Comment

Hello Revis,
                          I have burning and numbness and tingling in my thumb and first two fingers and just numbness in the ring and pinky finger with burning and tingling that goes up my arm to about my elbow and sometimes higher usually worse on the right than the left. Light touch is even painful. I have noticed that my hands always seem to be cold too. They have me on Lyrica for it but so far it has not helped. My hands are very dry and itch a lot but this has been worse since the cold weather started. I try to keep lotion on them but they itch so bad that sometimes I get sores on my hands. I try to keep them as warm as possible and even wear mittens to sleep in. I wonder if these symptoms will be with me forever. I know the MD feels that they will in varying degrees....yuck. I guess it's just something the I have to learn to tolerate as so many people do. Thanks for your input!
                          ACDF C5/C6, C6/C7 9/2011& Central Cord Syndrome

Comment

Hello Revis,
                            I have burning and numbness and tingling in my thumb and first two fingers and just numbness in the ring and pinky finger with burning and tingling that goes up my arm to about my elbow and sometimes higher usually worse on the right than the left. Light touch is even painful. I have noticed that my hands always seem to be cold too. They have me on Lyrica for it but so far it has not helped. My hands are very dry and itch a lot but this has been worse since the cold weather started. I try to keep lotion on them but they itch so bad that sometimes I get sores on my hands. I try to keep them as warm as possible and even wear mittens to sleep in. I wonder if these symptoms will be with me forever. I know the MD feels that they will in varying degrees....yuck. I guess it's just something the I have to learn to tolerate as so many people do. Thanks for your input!
                            Faceplant, I don't have burning in my hands or arms. I DO have constant burning in my feet, more in the right than the left. I can get burning in my buttocks and up my back if I've been doing a lot. I also have dysesthesia up and down my legs and in my torso. It comes and goes in my torso. One positive thing I can pass along to you. The burning in my feet seems to be less intense now as compared to 8 months ago. If I remember correctly it was further up my legs, too. I used to struggle to lay on my side in bed because the sensation of one leg on top of the other was so bothersome. The sensations have reduced enough that I can tolerate it now. So, there has been some change. Like you I wear gloves or mittens a lot. Not sure that neurontin really does anything to help offset these sensations, or not. I'm sorry to hear about your itching. Most of my itching is in the outside portion of my upper arms, and it's tolerable. Seems like with ccs there are many similar symptoms we share, but everything varies, so we are each unique.
                            CCS/Walking Quad

Comment

Hello Revis,

Faceplant,

My hands are also freezing all the time as well as my feet. Even if i have gloves on and bundle up I still am freezing, especially in those areas and the cold weather we r having makes it worse.

Evonne
                              I have a spinal cord injury...a spinal cord injury DOES NOT have me!

walking quad-Central Cord Syndrome

Comment

At first the tingling in my hands was extreme now the tingling is tolerable but the hands are still numb. The arms and the rest of my body tighten up with stimulation either from temp, friction or overuse, this is the spasticity kicking in, it's irritating but not a whole lot you can do about it other than drugs. I got off baclofen and neurontin and noticed an increase in sensitivity and spasticity, but the side effects were not worth it, dry skin was one, it's subsided but still present, then again I'm not in a dry climate as some are. It's just that it's bad enough to be crippled like this, but to shed skin on anyone close to you is very disconcerting, there's worse things but still it bothers me.

Comment

Working...
                                X