Newish trend for disabled toilet doors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newish trend for disabled toilet doors.

Hey, as many of you know, I live in Australia and have noticed over the last year or so that a lot of the shopping centres are installing electric doors to their disabled toilets. Are these doors standard now in the states? I have developed a slight phobia to these doors, terrified that a electricity blackout or spike could suddenly open the door. I cant use them unless I have someone standing outside in case the worst should happen and the door somehow opens. Another thing that our new huge shopping centre has just done has installed sliding doors to the disabled toilet made of frosted glass. Yep, so you can see the blurred outline of someone inside the cubicle. Ive put complaints in writing, and made phone calls, but to no avail so far. I just feel incredibly frustrated at my lack of 'voice', and the reality that nobody really gives a s**t.

ya, i've seen 1 such toilet before in a mall. i tried to use it but e electric switch wasnt working n e door wouldnt open. my fren had to slide e door open n stand guard outside while i did my thing. i guess its a good idea for a quad like me who cant pull open doors. but e frosted glass is just silly, so much for privacy.
    I've got 99 problems but the wheelchair ain't 1

Comment

Nah, we're lucky if there's a lock on the door, honestly. How weird.
      Blog:
      Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

The frosted glass has been "seen" as a way to diminish the use of public washrooms as sexual liaison places. Unfortunately, the larger size needed for an accessible toilet also makes for more room for nefarious activities. William

William

... rolling since 1989

BE NICE!It's free

P.S. ~ I have "handicapabilities"

TWITTER: @MacBerry

Comment

Ewww titan, Ive seen people using the dis toilets to shoot up, but not for other liaisons.

I need to buddy up with some other dis people to have a louder voice here, but I am new to the area so havent met any yet.

Comment

Hi AnnaBanana. I'd be more afraid of losing power and being stuck inside the toilet, as opposed to the door opening while I'm in there.

Good luck to you and the Aussies in swimming in Bejing. Me thinks we're gonna whoop your butt good Hope you're doing well in the new area you live in AnnaBanana
            Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
            Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Holey crap! A stall with glass doors? A stall with electric doors that could lock me in with a power failure? I don't like these ideas at all!

Comment

Originally posted by SoFla
                Holey crap! A stall with glass doors? A stall with electric doors that could lock me in with a power failure? I don't like these ideas at all!
                If there is no power the lock will disengage and the emergency lighting will come on.

No Power = No Connection= Unlocked (must do this by law under any building code)

William

... rolling since 1989

BE NICE!It's free

Comment

Originally posted by wheelchairTITAN
                  If there is no power the lock will disengage and the emergency lighting will come on.

No Power = No Connection= Unlocked (must do this by law under any building code)
                  That's much more acceptable.
                  Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Annabanana
                    Ewww titan, Ive seen people using the dis toilets to shoot up, but not for other liaisons.

I need to buddy up with some other dis people to have a louder voice here, but I am new to the area so haven't met any yet.
                    Anna ... Just so you do't feel that this is just a disability related stall system ... expect to see these on almost all public washrooms in the futureas a security deterent.

As for the locking system I think that is a just fancy thing and system with a hidden sign saying ... PLEASE BREAK ME! William

William

... rolling since 1989

BE NICE!It's free

Comment

Originally posted by wheelchairTITAN

Isn't it lovely to think so. I certainly will not depend upon emergency power. It has failed me to often.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf
                        Hi AnnaBanana. I'd be more afraid of losing power and being stuck inside the toilet, as opposed to the door opening while I'm in there.

Good luck to you and the Aussies in swimming in Bejing. Me thinks we're gonna whoop your butt good Hope you're doing well in the new area you live in AnnaBanana
                        Hey Bobby.....we have a pretty good swimming line up, so the challenge will be on! Be prepared to eat those words buddy.

I am doing ok down here, its darn cold and I am struggling a bit with the freezing mornings and nights, hopefully its a matter of reaclimatising, thanks for asking though, its nice to be remembered.

Comment

Wow, thats different, Electric doors, never seen that here in the states. Like Betheny said, normally doors with broken locks and that dont stay closed. Sometimes lucky to find a stall with a wide enough door. Ya, I think that frosted glass idea is to try to keep politicians from having sexual liasions in the stalls . Sounds like you guys in Aussie are ahead of us here in the states. I find the best accessable bathrooms to be in Florida and California, I think they have more strict codes than most other states.
                          "Life is about how you
                          respond to not only the
                          challenges you're dealt but
                          the challenges you seek...If
                          you have no goals, no
                          mountains to climb, your
                          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Working...
                          X