• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone do their own grocery shopping?

If so, how?

I use a basket on my lap.
    Andrew

Comment

thats how I picture it (since when I buy clothes, electronics etc, I put them on my lap), but then I start to think what if I have too much or its too heavy, and I dont think they'll allow you to take the basket to your car, so do you put the groceries in your lap?
      Last edited by Imight; 23 Jul 2008, 12:25 PM.

Comment

in my area you can grocery shop on line
        go to www.peapod.com to sign up
        they bringit right in to your kitchen

"But he was pierced for our transgressions,he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed" Isa 53:5

Comment

Originally posted by Rod the Quad
          in my area you can grocery shop on line
          go to www.peapod.com to sign up
          they bringit right in to your kitchen
          Im 2 miles shy of our online grocery service. PINK DOT was more my preference anyways, but they closed it. they had such a great deli mmmm the sandwiches......

used it when I was AB, NOW that I need it most, its not available. go figure.

Comment

The stores here have no problem with me taking their basket to my car. Depending on how busy the store is, they will carry things to the car as well. I can push a full size cart but it looks pretty funny. If they bulk about the basket you could just bring your own.

For really heavy things around the farm I put a square of plywood on my lap then carry whatever on there. That is much better balanced!

Have you thought or is there anything like dinner by design in your area? You go and make up meals in like a salad bar table then freeze the packages.
            Andrew

Comment

I would call area grocers and see which ones offer help to your car. There are a couple nicer grocers in the area that ask me everytime I check out if I need help to my car. I'm AB so I always decline but I see many elderly and mom's with multiple kids taking advantage of their service.

Comment

If i need a woppin pile of shit i pass my grocery list to my folks!

For anything else just a basket on my lap...anybody want one? I think ive got like 15 of em!

Comment

I put the basket on my lap. Usually they can fit everything in the basket in one paper bag which rides on my lap. To do this I make sure the heavy side
                  of the bag is leaning against my belly so that it won't tip forward off my lap. If it doesn't all fit I have them use one plastic bag, which I hook over the posts of my wheelchair back just like a backpack. (I have a roho jetsream solid back, so the posts are exposed.)

Before I had started using this method I asked for help getting the stuff out to my car.

Recently I use those reusable bags, and I can hang one off the back of the chair and balance one on my lap.

When I buy beer I take the basket out to the car, then bring it back. I asked permission the first couple times, now I just do it.

Comment

Very possible with a regular shopping cart. Just takes some practice like everything else. I think you can make it happen.

Comment

I tried NOT doing my own shopping, b/c I have 3 ab men in my house. Sadly, starvation won out over principles!

I use the basket and mke more trips. Gotta go today again, I went Sunday but am still out of everything...

My kingdom for online shopping! OMG I miss those days!
                      Blog:
                      Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

I live in a small town and we have a grocery chain big on customer service. As a result they get almost all the gimp and elderly business. I put a basket on my lap but also push the smaller of the 2 carts the store supplies. It is not hard at all to push a grocery cart if the wheels are not binding. I stash the cart in a convenient aisle and go selecting items which I offload into the cart each time the basket is full. Once done selecting, I approach checkout - usually one of the baggers will see me and ask if he/she can offload my items onto the cashier conveyor. I always accept. If the store is real busy I use my basket too offload from the cart and then unload basket on conveyor. In this store there is always a bagger and if you are elderly/disabled they offer to take your stuff to the car and they unload into the car and refuse tips. My wife and I are both chair users - she shopped once with an injured shoulder and they offered to have a staff member accompany her and load picked out items onto her cart.

This store is great and I wonder if any chains where you live have maybe tried to fill this niche. This store I go to has many people using walkers, chairs, store provided scooters, etc. A food chain can beat out their competitors by offering these services.

Comment

I use a cart and LOVE IT, it's the greatest PT going, you get what you want, and more, and you get the advantage of being able to become a member of society again. Better than a walker, beats a wheel chair, and you are mobile to the point of, and maybe no one knows whats wrong with you. Flat floors, and an aide in getting verticle.

Comment

Originally posted by Imight
                            thats how I picture it (since when I buy clothes, electronics etc, I put them on my lap), but then I start to think what if I have too much or its too heavy, and I dont think they'll allow you to take the basket to your car, so do you put the groceries in your lap?
                            Imight, /forum/showpost.php?p=876536&postcount=83 It usually goes a lot smoother than that. When I go to a new market and plan to come back I'll have a talk w the manager about having my baskets stored in a cooler (you may not want cold for what you've collected). The food markets are very competative and I've had amiable agreement/cooperation from all.

I've had as many as three baskets in storage, w one on my lap, at a time.
                            "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
                            J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

My boyfriend keeps a large carabiner on the back of his chair, which he uses for hanging all manner of things, but in the grocery store he hooks it through the handles of the grocery basket and hangs the basket from the support bar across the back of the chair.

Comment

Working...
                              X