Who has the oldest complete SCI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has the oldest complete SCI?

Wondering who's has the oldest complete SCI on CC?
    0-5 years
    33.12%
    6-10 years
    17.20%
    11-15 years
    13.38%
    16-20 years
    7.64%
    21-25 years
    8.28%
    26-30 years
    6.37%
    31-40 years
    10.19%
    41-50 years
    1.91%
    51-60 years
    1.27%
    60 years and more
    0.64%
    sigpic

Wow Mona, you have found a question that I've never seen.
    Very curious!
    Cathy J

Comment

I don't think I have seen this as a question before, but have seen many comment on the length of their time in the chair in other threads. Just can't remember who nor how long.

Comment

I have a client with a complete mid-thoracic paraplegia who is 96 and has been injured for 68 years.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

wow is that amazing or depressing?
          If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

Well, I guess he would have to decide. He has led a very active life, is financially very successful (he is a major donor to the PVA) and lives in a beautiful home with an ocean view with other family members. While he does have many of the health problems now that accompany aging, he certainly has been successful in living his life in a chair.

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I don't mean he's depressing, just the entire no cure thing...
              If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

Wow! Just living to be 96 is impressive. Good for him!

Comment

good question! 96 is impressive :-)
                  C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

Comment

I am ineligible to vote. I feel like a suffragette, with no right to vote because I am --- of all things --- incomplete. On Independence Eve that sort of stinks of bigotry.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
                      Well, I guess he would have to decide. He has led a very active life, is financially very successful (he is a major donor to the PVA) and lives in a beautiful home with an ocean view with other family members. While he does have many of the health problems now that accompany aging, he certainly has been successful in living his life in a chair.

(KLD)
                      God bless him. I truly mean that. Here I thought Eileen and I were troopers for making it through the 60's. He is definitely one tough cookie for making it throug the 40's, 50's and 60's.

Financial independence is definitely an enabler to longevity even in the most difficult of physical situations, wheather ab or dis. If I could have it I guess growing old with an sci wouldn't be so worrisome. He made it through some tough attitudinal barriers and I applaud him. Please kld let him know.

Comment

Hope

96 ! that is amazing. Another ray of hope for us all. I had no idea it was possible. I'm going to have to start taking better care of myself !!

Comment

Wow, I didnt know it was possible to live that long with a complete SCI, I always thought for sure I'd be kicking the bucket around 63 or so in another 13 years. It is a little bit of a depressing thought though to think I could have 46 more years left of this exisistance, maybe I'll have to take up a dangerous sport like skydiving or something .
                          "Life is about how you
                          respond to not only the
                          challenges you're dealt but
                          the challenges you seek...If
                          you have no goals, no
                          mountains to climb, your
                          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

really
                            oh well

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee
                              ...maybe I'll have to take up a dangerous sport like skydiving or something .
                              Haha! C'mon, where is your sense of adventure Curt 'ol boy? Hell, I've ALWAYS had a reckless attitude, until of late. I may not be shiRttin' in high cotton, sportin' a wc under my aRse, but I still like living as much as ever.

Sadly, I've began to weigh the consequences of my actions before I jump, more and more lately. My bleeding and bone breaking, willy nilly, is beginning to make it harder to stick to my chair, without strapping in.
                              Thinking before I act.... now THERE'S a new paradigm for me, lol.

I always say that I conquered the world standing up, now I'm working on it sitting down. I don't plan on quitting until I am at least 120

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

Working...
                              X