C1-C2 injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C1-C2 injuries

Hi. New to this forum. Wondering for those of you who have had a c1-c2 break how are you all doing? How bad are your limitations? I'm 2 years in.

You will find people here are more likely to share if you 1) complete your incomplete profile and 2) share a little about yourself first.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Ok sounds great! Well I updated my profile and here's some about what happened to me. I live in Texas and 2 years ago I was in the car with one of my girlfriends on my lunch break, we were going shoe shopping And a gentleman who went into a diabetic coma hit our car. My head was turned because I was talking to my friend and then Bam. I broke my C1-C2 in the accident. I had to get a posterior fusion, they grafted the bone from my hip, unbelievable amount of pain. Because of how high up I broke I have extreme limitations on turning my head. I can't turn left to right, well maybe 5 degrees each way. In surgery they tried to pull the bones away from my spinal cord, they were pressing on it rather bad, they could pull it off minimally. So I still have numbness in my arms occasionally. Any further pulling it away would have caused worse damage. Now I'm a walking hardware store.

Comment

Originally posted by praises
        Now I'm a walking hardware store.
        Congrats. You faired very well in the accident.

Comment

I hope you realize how extremely lucky you are. A serious spinal cord injury at C1-2 would result in you having no movement below your head and being ventilator dependent 24/7. Were you in a halo brace after surgery?

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
            I hope you realize how extremely lucky you are. A serious spinal cord injury at C1-2 would result in you having no movement below your head and being ventilator dependent 24/7. Were you in a halo brace after surgery?

(KLD)
            Having a C1/2 injury is indeed very lucky.
            Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

Zilla, you don't consider someone with a C1-2 fracture who is essentially neurologically intact as lucky????

(KLD)

Comment

As in walking - oh! I stand corrected.
                Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

No I was in no Halo. I went to one of the best if not the best neurosurgeon in Houston. He said no halo. What was intersting is that I got an opinion from another neurosurgeon who wanted to put me in the halo. I'm very blessed on several fronts and including the fact that I didn't have to wear the halo. I really am blessed I'm alive. I have to remind myself of that daily when I get frustrated with what I can and can not do.

Comment

Welcome to the board praises. So glad you were blessed.
                    Thank God for all the good things he does. Post often.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by praises
                      Hi. New to this forum. Wondering for those of you who have had a c1-c2 break how are you all doing? How bad are your limitations? I'm 2 years in.

Welcome to CC Praises! I had a C3-C4 and T12-L1 sci, along with other injuries. However, the 20 year anniversary (if that's what you want to call it) is coming up. I too was extremely lucky, and most of the damage was caused from the T12-L1 injury. I can definitely set off the metal detectors in the airport!
                      Live Every Day Like It's Your Last!

C3-C4 and T12-L1 since July 1988

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome! This is a great forum!!

Comment

I also broke my c1 or c2 vertebra and thank G-d (or not), it didn't damage the spinal cord. I had a halo and healed fine. My limited neck movement though is due to the fusion of my c5-c7 vertebrae, but it's not as limited as yours.

Comment

I'm close, C2/3 23 years post. I'm glad to hear how everything went well for you, I'm immobile below my injury and am very limited on how much I can be off a ventilator.

Glad you found us.
                            C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Comment

Working...
                            X