Being Happy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being Happy

This Sticky was just a thought one day when I opened the “Life” forum and saw the “Suicide” thread and thought, “What about all of the happy people and things going on in people’s lives.”

My injury is C5C6 complete and I am about 2 and a half years post. I’m still new to all of this and feel blessed to have this website for all the info, resources and the people. When I first found this site I thought life was over and it wouldn’t ever get better, but I was wrong. Here’s a few thread’s that show how my life has changed.

1. Does it really get better?

2. The New Life

Many things have changed since then and I am the happiest I have ever been, even pre-injury. I have many things and people in my life that I have to thank for that, but the thing that keeps me happy is me. When I get bummed something in the back of my mind starts to slap me around and lets me know that I don’t want to spend my day like that. I maintain my positive outlook because I know the opposite too well and choose not to live day in and day out like that. Here’s a couple of things I do to keep my spirits up.

• Fresh air always helps.
    • Positive people. Whether it’s in person, on the phone, internet and if no one is around or available put in a positive movie or t.v. show.
    • Staying occupied keeps the mind busy.
    • Pets, just watching the things they do makes me smile.
    • Exercise. The feeling you get when doing positive things for your body is incredible.
    I’ll post more as they come to mind, but the most important aspect for me is thinking positive constantly. Even when negative things slam me in the face I just step out of the box and put things in perspective in a positive way.

This Sticky should provide any kind of information on what you do to keep positive and happy, and also what kind of positive things are going on in your life.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

I haven't read those threads but I will.
    I just had to say, "You are just TOO COOL!"
    and it's people like YOU that make me Happy.

Thanks for joining!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GoTWHeels
      When I get bummed something in the back of my mind starts to slap me around and lets me know that I don’t want to spend my day like that. I maintain my positive outlook because I know the opposite too well and choose not to live day in and day out like that.
      words of wisdom...
      Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
      Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Baking. I love baking when I'm feeling down.
        Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Comment

I get to meet my possible new service dog tomorrow. It's a black lab named Stanly. That makes me happy.

Shopping for a new truck this weekend really makes me happy.
          Last edited by Freedom92; 15 May 2008, 7:57 PM.
          If I was meant to have wheels under my ass, what the hell are these legs for?
          http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455040496

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom92
            I get to meet my possible new service dog tomorrow. It's a black lab named Stanly. That makes me happy.

Shopping for a new truck this weekend really makes me happy.
            Wow, that's cool you're getting a new service dog Freedom And a new truck to boot, congrats!

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rdf
              Wow, that's cool you're getting a new service dog Freedom And a new truck to boot, congrats!
              Thanks rdf, have to get a black truck to match my new black dog. Have my eye on a black 2006 F-150 4x4 supercab ( new to me ). I have a 2003 F-150 supercrew now, but it's not easy getting my chair in the cab. Suicide doors really make a difference.
              If I was meant to have wheels under my ass, what the hell are these legs for?
              http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455040496

Comment

I love looking at photos of the people in my family and my life circle. There are some really funny, kooky picss always guaranteed for a smile. If I start feeling glum I break out the funny ones. It works to lift my spirit.

I catch every sunset I can and sometimes the sunrises, too (if I'm not sleeping in that day ). The light at day break and day's end seems to wrap around and soften the harder parts of life, of the world.

I try something new, although that can backfire on me if I'm not in the right mindset. Instead of comparing how I did things formerly, I just have to go with the experience as it is.

I get into nature. That is my happy place, the time when it comes together. Whether it is the ocean, the woods, the mountains, a desert, getting outdoors, getting away from too much concrete and traffic and manmade evreything soothes the savage beast within.

I go to my favorite places and favorite people on this planet. I turn to one of two places on this earth for a type of grounding or I turn to those I love. I'm always better for having done it.

I find a reason and a way to laugh. I swear by those brain chemicals released with laughter. Laughter begets laughter. It feeds on itself.

Talking with my best friends always helps. It doesn't matter if I'm the one needing to download something or it's the other person, I'm always lighter in my being for having had the experience and the sharing.

Comment

curious

Hi,

I think it is insane to be happier 2 years post than pre injury. It boggles my mind. Why do you think you are happier? Is it a defense mechanism or do you really believe that to be true.

Comment

Originally posted by hcho72
                    Hi,

I think it is insane to be happier 2 years post than pre injury. It boggles my mind. Why do you think you are happier? Is it a defense mechanism or do you really believe that to be true.
                    No more insane than life pre-injury. Happiness is a choice...pre or post. It takes a little work. It's hard to be consistent...I give you that.

Comment

Why do I think I'm happier? I am, this is my life and I enjoy everyday. In the past I wasn't happy, I was miserable. Why? Doesn't matter, what does is that I never want to feel that again. So I strive for a better life, a better way of living MY life and where I am right now is where I want to be.

I know everyone's situation is different by all means. I don't expect everyone to understand because of this, but life is what you make of it, regardless.
                      Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Comment

when severe pain strikes...no human can be happy ....look at ab people ..a simple headache or tooth make them to complain and to cry....sci is diffrent ...

Comment

Originally posted by GoTWHeeLs
                          Why do I think I'm happier? I am, this is my life and I enjoy everyday. In the past I wasn't happy, I was miserable. Why? Doesn't matter, what does is that I never want to feel that again. So I strive for a better life, a better way of living MY life and where I am right now is where I want to be.

I know everyone's situation is different by all means. I don't expect everyone to understand because of this, but life is what you make of it, regardless.
                          I believe that you make yourself happier with your perspective of life GoTWHeeLs. The attitude you present is healthier and makes you feel good about what helps you to be happy. I also think that when you dwell only the bad things, it will only bring you down.

Adi, pain is in everyone's life in one form or other. Suffering is not just physical pain, it can be emotional and mental. Can you tell us what it is to be in their lives and to be suffering what they suffer? Cancer, AIDS, blind, the loss of someone very close to your life such as a child , or many other illnesses? I doubt you do. The instinct of surviving is in most of us. However, the effects of trauma, pain and/or loss are the ones we need to address with more strength and a positive attitude in order to keep on in life especially if you believe in Jesus or God as you say you do.

For me, my children and Isis make me happy to be alive. Seeing the roses bloom and nature one more day also adds to my happiness.

Raven
                          Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
                          but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

Comment

Something that made me happy today

I was in the supermarket at the ATM which was against the wall, and I had set my small basket down beside my chair, so my chair was in between the basket and the ATM machine. A lady walked in with a little girl about 4 or so, cute as can be, and as they walked by me at the ATM, the little darlin kept staring up at me, then at my basket, then at me, then at the basket, as her mom was walking away down the aisle, she kept looking back. I figured, hmmm, I wonder if she wants the basket for herself....

I turned back to the ATM, doing my business, then I turn around and there's the little girl, looking up at me with a missing tooth and a cute beautiful smile, sliding the basket away about 5 feet from where it was so I would be able to leave the ATM machine without hitting the basket.

She thought it was in my way.

I smiled a big ole grin at her, she smiled back and waved, and took off for her mom, looking back one last time and smiling again.

Don't get much better than that There is nothing more sweet than a young innocent girl born with a heart of gold, not anywhere in this whole wide world. Take it to the bank

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rdf
                              Something that made me happy today

I was in the supermarket at the ATM which was against the wall, and I had set my small basket down beside my chair, so my chair was in between the basket and the ATM machine. A lady walked in with a little girl about 4 or so, cute as can be, and as they walked by me at the ATM, the little darlin kept staring up at me, then at my basket, then at me, then at the basket, as her mom was walking away down the aisle, she kept looking back. I figured, hmmm, I wonder if she wants the basket for herself....

I turned back to the ATM, doing my business, then I turn around and there's the little girl, looking up at me with a missing tooth and a cute beautiful smile, sliding the basket away about 5 feet from where it was so I would be able to leave the ATM machine without hitting the basket.

She thought it was in my way.

I smiled a big ole grin at her, she smiled back and waved, and took off for her mom, looking back one last time and smiling again.

Don't get much better than that There is nothing more sweet than a young innocent girl born with a heart of gold, not anywhere in this whole wide world. Take it to the bank
                              For me, my children and Isis make me happy to be alive. Seeing the roses bloom and nature one more day also adds to my happiness.

Raven
                              God created the love of a family and this beautiful world for us to enjoy. I agree that's where I find happiness too.

How sweet rdf. Little children are the gateway to Jesus and Heaven.
                              Thanks for witnessing to me.

Matthew 18:1-5 NVC "Who Is The Greatest?"
                              At that time the followers came to Jesus and asked,
                              "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"
                              Jesus called a little child to him and stood the
                              child before His followers. Then He said, "I tell
                              you the truth, you must change and become like little
                              children. Otherwise, you will never enter the kingdom
                              of heaven. The greatest person in the kingdom of heaven
                              is the one who makes himself humble like this child.
                              Whoever accepts a child in my name accepts me.
                              May God touch our hearts to love everyone like a child does.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X