No announcement yet.

Being Happy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you, Gary. Yours are cuties too. I hope they bring you lots of happiness ,despite the bs. Good luck healing!

Comment

• much love to you gotwheels. thank you

Comment

• Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs:

"Why do I think I'm happier? I am, this is my life and I enjoy everyday. In the past I wasn't happy, I was miserable. Why? Doesn't matter, what does is that I never want to feel that again. So I strive for a better life, a better way of living MY life and where I am right now is where I want to be."

I'm going back to the beginning of this thread.

I get this "Why? Doesn't matter, what does is that I never want to feel that again."

It doesn't matter you say but it does matter! You could have been serving 10 years in prison for a crime, you could have been in an abusive relationship, You may have been poor and/or deep in debt, there are so many reasons why you were miserable before becoming paralyzed, or maybe you got a million dollar settlement that would make me happy for sure. So without all the facts to understand your past condition it is hard to understand why anyone one would be happier after becoming an SCI! SCI = Pain is nothing to be happy about, perhaps you are one of those who are blessed with a pain free life a wheelchair friendly accessible home, several good natured caregivers, a trouble free wheelchair friendly van or car, have good health and someone close who cooks and cleans for you. There are those SCI's who are actually happy. I know personally of a woman who got a settlement of 4 million dollars and she is happy because she does not have to stress out about finances caregivers transportation......

Just a little story for Sunday, while my back is killing me and a sensation of a sharp sword jabbing me in my left groin area... I survive and do good sometimes, but I have to gather up all the strength possible to get through each day. But "Happier" - no way!
        Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Well i would like to express how difficult it is to be happy spending all your life strapped to a wheelchair.
          What makes me sad is this
          People who patronise me telling me to be strong, have hope and bla bla bla when they themselves go crazy on trivial issues
          People who try to rip me off when purchasing disability devices
          Government employees who can never be reached by telephone or never at their place of work
          Hospital facilities that are sort of a joke
          Stem cell clinics offering false hope at incredible high prices
          People who say alot but deliver nothing

What makes me happy
          my family

Comment

• Peter,

I am in total agreement with you. I have a dear friend, a female, who was paralyzed when she was 16. She is a quad and when we met in 1984 she was a bubbly happy girl always up even though she was in pain. She was having a hard time. But 90% of the time she put on the happy face. This way of hers, "How great life is..." went on for 20 years. But, age caught her. She is unhappy, in pain, pushed her family away when they tried to help. No one tells her; "People who patronise me telling me to be strong, have hope and bla bla bla..." Because they can see there in little hope that she will return to that bubbly young girl.

All I can say to you is "Hang in there."

Gary
            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Better days, Garyis!

At times, I have those very same, maddening, isolating, burdening troubles. I'm in pain 24/7, affecting my sleep just as much as my daily activities. At times, I literally want to jump out of my body. Sometimes I cry. I have to say, though, "I'm HAPPY"! I hope you work throughthose days when nothing goes your way, things break down & everywhere you turn, you seem to find a road block. More than anything, I hope you find contentment in your broken body & within the bleak situation. I know my happiness probably has me in the minority & I don't want to be annoying. I'm a fortunate one, I wish you & the others the same luck. It didn't happen overnight& I went through hell to get here. It sucks to be totally unhappy, I know.

Comment

• I spent the first 3 years being depressed and then I made a friend who told me happiness is a conscious decision. So I quit meds all together, changed my diet, stopped watching negative tv and movies, began to meditate, left religion alone and read any books on healing and happiness I can find by deceased authors and look everyday for something to be grateful for like I can see or breathe and I volunteer to help someone less fortunate than myself. This didn't happen overnight but I REFUSE to let this experience break me or make me give in I AM in control.
                My Accessible Life blog
                https://www.myaccessiblelife.blogspot.com

JOIN me on twitter
                https://twitter.com/#!/myaccesiblelife

Facebook
                https://www.facebook.com/MyAccessibleLife

Comment

• How to get this idiot out of here?

spam quote deleted by moderator
                  How can spammers be removed from this forum?
                  Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 10-05-2016, 08:36 AM. Reason: removed quote from spammer
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• how about dont help them out by quoting them
                    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

• Originally posted by addiesue View Post
                      how about dont help them out by quoting them
                      Right you are!
                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Life is good

I broke my neck 18 years ago, and with the exception of some pain issues couldn’t be happier in life. I’m an artist, sculptor, photographer, amateur astronomer and university student. Life is good

http://www.danielpwright.com/

Comment

• Interesting thread. Yes, very high level sci. I'm having trouble finding happiness
                          Money does not much for me. Buy, sell electronics and repeat.
                          A partner, marriage, children. Not going to happen and it's ok.
                          Vengeance? Since my injury was at the hands of others. There is some part of me that wants to get even or more. Yes they served lengthy prison terms. But they were released and can go on with life. Life seems like a puzzle that has been thrown across a yard. Your supposed to pickup the pieces and put them back together. Well enough said for tonight. Any feedback would be welcomed.
                          Regards,
                          Brian
                          "Life's a Party and Your Not Invited"

Comment

• I agree...it is hard to find happiness after a life changing spinal cord injury. Employment, relationships, living arraignments, money and things like chronic pain etc. is all a problem...I try to remain optimistic and upbeat but it's hard most days. I try and be thankful for the good things in my life but I want a lot more out of life than it currently offers like a relationship, work, and a purpose.
                            I wonder...Do others get good "acting" like things are okay?
                            C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Comment

• Originally posted by dprite View Post
                              I broke my neck 18 years ago, and with the exception of some pain issues couldn’t be happier in life. I’m an artist, sculptor, photographer, amateur astronomer and university student. Life is good

http://www.danielpwright.com/
                              My injury was neck related as well. You can only do one thing: Move forward.
                              A video of my experience: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc63UdZ4Mu4y

Comment

• 10 years for me c4/5

and I couldn't be more miserable. I need my fucking hands back so I can be a happy para too!

Comment

Working...
                                X