Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bathroom sink renovation, what did you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bathroom sink renovation, what did you do?

Hey,
    I've just been thinking about a few things if I bought my own place... which most likely would be a condo or an existing house to start... with the idea of doing the few minimum renovations that'd be needed.

One thing on my mind was a bathroom sink... most existing houses they build the sink into a cabinet... which of course prohibits a wheelchair from pushing under the sink and you end up trying to hang sideways over it to wash your face or whatever... for those of you whom encountered that situation what did you do? Did you cutout an access circle into the cabinet so you could get under properly? Rip the whole cabinet out and build shelves to replace the lost storage? Leave as-is and just deal with it? If some had a pic of what they did that'd be great too.. but any suggestions/sharing of experiences would be appreciated. Thanks

My last house

I installed a stand alone with a pedestal base and added some cabinetry next to it for storage and toiletries. I found it's the only way for my size 13 feet to get close to without dumping water all over myself when washing my face or hands.

Comment

Mine is just the counter and sink. No cabinets underneath. I do want to add some narrow ones at either side (There is more space than needed) but haven;t had that done yet. Right now I have catchall bins in the corners (wicker wastebaskets actually) Holding cleaning supplies, extra roll, etc.
      T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

I had a new house built and took occupancy last February. I decided to go with a std sink, but used the lower model for mine 32". I am used to pulling up sideways and leaning over the sink. But I am T11-12.

I decided to do this after seeing the ugly thing the my builder was going to put in. I hate the exposed pipes.

I saw a nice vanity where the doors opened and a wheelchair could pull in (cool design) but I can't find it now. Here is something similar. You could probably alter a standard vanity like this too. (not a me in pic)

Comment

Originally posted by ala
          II saw a nice vanity where the doors opened and a wheelchair could pull in
          Nice idea, gotta do something with my kitchen sink. For the bathroom I got a wall hanging sink from Home Despot.

Comment

We put in a wall-hung sink that has a hidden (protected) trap near but not in the corner, then put in wall storage in a recessed medicine cabinet hung at wheelchair height on the wall just to the left of the sink. Be sure there is supporting studs and hard wood behind the sink for mounting, otherwise someone leaning on the sink can easily rip it out of the wall. There is also other bathroom storage in an old closet nearby.

Put in a facet with a pull-out hand held nozzle which makes cleaning the sink easier and can also be used for washing hair at the sink if you don't want to bother with taking a shower to do this. Put in a couple extra electrical outlets too for both an intercom (baby monitor type) and electric toothbrush as well as razor, etc. etc.

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Shower room

As I write this string I am remodeling my bathroom into a full shower room. This is the sink I have chosen by Duravit, series Happy D, 23" wide x 18" deep. Top of sink will be 34" as by the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities, see page 50.

titanium4motion

credit to:
              picture Duravit USA
              ADAAG, American with Disabilities Act (ADA) Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities by the U.S. Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board (Access Board).
              Last edited by titanium4motion; 28 Dec 2007, 1:35 PM.
              "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

I went with something like this. I got mine off ebay for less than $300. I've had it 2 years now with no complaints.

Nice idea, gotta do something with my kitchen sink. For the bathroom I got a wall hanging sink from Home Despot.
                Our new kitchen is going in this week. My brother does that stuff for a living. He's going to have the sinkbase doors open and slide into the cabinet. I don't know if it's a kit or something he makes. I'll take pics and get all the info on how he does it.

Comment

hmm, thanks for the replies/pics so far... its giving me so me ideas on how to handle it if we encounter it

Comment

Somethings to look for.

Originally posted by JAYCUE
                    I went with something like this. I got mine off ebay for less than $300. I've had it 2 years now with no complaints.

[ATTACH]19681[/ATTACH]
                    Tell the truth now? I used that kind of sink in China. The problem with it is the clear plastic seal between the bowl and top will turn a yellowish color and black mold will grow in it. Hard to clean that seal.

Let me add something that many faucets companies say. They say their products are in ADA compliance but they are not. Look at the attached photo from ADAAG, page 50. The top of the sink is 34" and the bottom of the mirror surface is 40". If your faucet spout is 7-1/4" tall and you have a mirror cabinet door that opens to store personal items in. The spout is in the way of the mirror door opening. Look for a low profile faucet.

If you are adding a mirror cabinet for storage add in on the side of it or the rear of it a GFI outlet for small electrical shavers. It will be out of the way on the sink top.

Something else to consider? Shelving. I found this wine rack by Rogar that I am installing on my wall to store towels and supplies. See ADAAG for shelving and how high it should be installed. ADAAG pdf is in above thread. Rogar wine racks can be found at http://www.beveragefactory.com.

An additional feature I am adding is a trench drain with a flat shower floor. See attached photo of trench drain.

Something else to consider is the bathroom door. It should swing outwards in case you fall in the bathroom or shower room help can assist you. The door swing outwards gives you more room inside the bathroom or shower room.

titanium4motion

Credit due to:
                    ADAAG image, page 50, ADAAG, American with Disabilities Act (ADA) Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities by the U.S. Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board (Access Board).
                    Photo wine rack. Rogar Company
                    Trench drain photo, NDS
                    Photo of trench drain by Stormtech Architectural, http://www.stormtech.com.au/

Last edited by titanium4motion; 31 Dec 2007, 3:26 PM. Reason: Add jpg of ADAAG page 50
                    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

I'm with you. I have vessel sinks in my bathroom and I love them. No problems at all -- especially like T4M is talking about.
                      My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Jaycu .... what a gorgeous sink. Mine is just a typical sink. Boring!

TT .... good point about the bathroom door. I was using my inlaw's bathroom over the holidays. Door open in, and I am practically jammed into the room. Thought about the fact that if I needed help, it would have to come in throught the window!!
                        T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Tell the truth now? I used that kind of sink in China. The problem with it is the clear plastic seal between the bowl and top will turn a yellowish color and black mold will grow in it. Hard to clean that seal.
                          Are you referring to the drain? I just looked and everything looks fine, no yellowing/mold. The only thing you have to watch for is the faucet. When you get a package deal for cheap, sometimes the faucet isn't the greatest.

Even if you don't use that type of sink, you should consider the p trap style drain. It only sticks down about 4 inches from the bottom of the sink and goes straight back to the wall. There's no elbow to bang your knees into.

An additional feature I am adding is a trench drain with a flat shower floor. See attached photo of trench drain.
                          Definitely an excellent idea. I didn't know about this until after my bathroom was complete and I wish I had one.

Jaycu .... what a gorgeous sink. Mine is just a typical sink. Boring!
                          Thank you. I saw one on a home show right before we redid the bathroom. If I didn't see that show, I wouldn't have known about it and I would've put in a traditional roll under sink. Sometimes it pays to be lazy and watch tv, lol.

Comment

He's going to have the sinkbase doors open and slide into the cabinet. I don't know if it's a kit or something he makes. I'll take pics and get all the info on how he does it.
                            Definately give the details on that one, I like the idea of open then slide in.

Comment

Sink

I had a wall mounted 1 for years.....it craked so I went to Lowes...bought a vanity top the size I needed....bought some poplar 1 by 4....hard to find anything else stright anymore...anyhooo....I build a frame starting in the corner.....made the frame to the height I wanted....the one corner with no support I just angled it to the wall on a 45 degree angle...screwd it into the wall stud that was there....u need to no that stuff before you start so you know what size to build and the vanity size....I used all drywall screws as they work great with no drilling and you can easy takem out..put vanity in perfect fit....dammm am good.....lmao....after frame was done painted it the same as room....next day put some calk down in a few spots...just incase you need to replace it it wont be a real pain in the ass to remove...let it dry 1 day.....then installed drain and faucet.....boom your done....I did not try and hide the pipes....even tho you could if you like and still be able to roll under it as the sink is 39 inches high off the floor...above the sink I already had medice cabnets with sliding windows and with size of vanity I got all the crap I need to easy get....Open pipes dont bother me...all i have to do to use it is roll under it....doors would be a pain in the ass to open day after day...good thing to....before a year was up had to replace faucet again....nothing made in the good USA anymore....anywhoo I did this all by myself as I have all the tools and some brains....lol....Probably got 300.00 in it with wood,vanity top,calk, drywall screws, new faucet and drain stuff and I already had the paint as just painted it a few months ago....I think if you had to hire it out it would cost you 2,000....I had my 17 year old son sit on the corner with the 45 degree angle to the wall stud which is the weakest point...he 160 lbs...rock solid....could have sex on it and not worry about it breaking...hopefully someone will use it in that way someday.....lmao
                              Art

Comment

Working...
                              X