hardwood floors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hardwood floors

i am having a house built most of it is done but now i need to make a desicion of hardwood floors or flat carpet . the place i live now has that flat carpet looking stuff in it which works fine for moving around in the chair but i can get some hardwood flooring at cost , i like the look of a hardwood floor but i would like the opinions of those whom have hardwood and whether your happy with it or not. my friend says what if you get a pebble in your tire and it scrapes and scuffs the floor ? i am so confused - opinions ? thanx
    trying to forget someone you love is like trying to remember someone you never met

I have wood floors in my house but
    the path I mostly travel on is covered by very thin carpet so I don't scratch the wood. My Dad upkeeps the floor, vacuum and polish. Carpet only needs vacuuming, but the look of wood floors is very elegant. For me I can barely push my chair on the wood floor so I would prefer the wood. If you can push over carpet then the choice comes down aesthetics.
    Injured May 19, 2006, C4 incomplete

Comment

HEY cHESTER,
      After my SCI I had all the carpet removed from my house cause it was like pushing through sand. (It had a pretty thick padding.) I installed a commercial grade perggo laminate fake hardwood. Looks good and is supposed to be tougher than real hardwood. Been pushing on it 10 months. No scratches yet. Only complaint is it is harder to keep clean than carpet. Carpet you just vacuum. Wood has to be swept and mopped pretty often to keep the dust bunnies down. Hope this helps you with your decision. Ultimately my choice remains wood.
      Grange
      L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Comment

Wood, wood, wood! Cleaner, holds up fine and it's much easier on you.

Comment

Agreed with chiappa - wood. I have hickory floors throughout with area rugs. I would not go with carpeting given the dirt, tire tracks, etc.

Good luck with your new place.

Comment

I have mahogony hardwood and haven't had a scratch on them yet. The biggest issue I have with them comes when I come in from outside and it has been raining. I leave tracks on the floor, but it's nothing a mop can't clean up.

Comment

We have wood in our house. Real hardwood. Original to the home. It's pretty good with the diamond hard finish (durability wise). Easy to clean.

My advice to you, would be to go for a top of the line, wood laminate floor. They come with 25 and 30 year warranty.

I saw a thing on TLC comparing wood floors. They dropped hammers, tomato tins, walked on them with pointy high heals and even had a rugby team scrum accross the floors.

The high quality wood laminate faired the best.

Good luck! This must be a very exciting time for you!

Comment

I hate carpet - it just holds dirt and crap no matter how much you vacuum ... but then again I have some shedding cats here.

Laminate is definately hard to keep up with to keep clean. You have to sweep every other day at the least and mop often ...
                Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by chester
                  the place i live now has that flat carpet looking stuff in it which works fine for moving around in the chair but i can get some hardwood flooring at cost
                  Berber and other types of flat carpet can look great and not be terribly difficult to push around on, but nothing beats hardwood for beating inertia. It is ever so much easier to carry a full wine glass when pushing across a floor that allows one to roll easily. It is almost impossible to push and steer with one hand across carpet, but with practice, it can be done on hard floors where one can maintain a bit of momentum.

i like the look of a hardwood floor but i would like the opinions of those whom have hardwood and whether your happy with it or not. my friend says what if you get a pebble in your tire and it scrapes and scuffs the floor ?
                  I would worry a lot more about the damage that women in high heels could do to your hardwood floors than what could be done if you happen to catch a pebble. Even if you did, you'd notice it long before it could possibly do damage.

In terms of keeping your floors clean, I would suggest getting a Roomba. These things really work!

C.

Comment

Go With Wood, You Will Get Scratches Regardless Nothing You Can Do. Yes The Forst Couple Of Scratches Will Hurt But Trust Me Well Worth It. (they Do Get Pretty Dusty)

Comment

I just had top of the line laminate flooring put in my family room. I love it!!! Much, much better than carpeting although I do LIKE carpeting. What I got was Armstrong Laminate and I am just thrilled with it. Also, you don't clean it ever with sudsy water. You just dry or damp mop and that's it.

Comment

going on 11 years for my pergo. 4 dogs, 2 cats, kids and wheelchairs. still looks great. furniture has been literally dragged across it, too.

Comment

hardwood floors

thank you all so much for the input - i am going to go check things out tomarrow - sure glad i checked here with you all . sounds like you all like the wood and more than likely that is what i will go for. will let you all know.
                          trying to forget someone you love is like trying to remember someone you never met

Comment

If you get wood floors make sure they are good quality.The pre-finished ones can only be sanded down once or maybe twice, We put in oak flooring and it has been great, we had an extra coat of sealer put on. Never had pebble problem in seven years. I am ripping out the laminate flooring in the kitchen and putting in wood, the laminate is loud, cold and shows spots and dust easily, although it is very w/c friendly. Will keep the laminate in the laundry room as a buffer before the hardwoods, to melt off the snow, dry from the rain. Wonder how bamboo would be, pretty eco-friendly. The one thing I liked about the laminate was watching the cat slide around the corners on her butt since she could get no purchase on the laminate on a fast run!

Comment

It's much easier to run a dust mop/broom over a hardwood floor from a WC than it is to vacuum carpet from a WC.

If you get the good stuff that's made to last forever, it really will last forever. My mom got some laminate stuff for her kitchen and it's scratched and scuffed all to hell now, but I know other places that have some really nice hardwood flooring that has been there forever and is in really good shape.

Comment

Working...
                              X