No announcement yet.

Accessible House Ideas - Help, Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey TR...I do not know if you are also looking for what things you want to do for someone who is hearing impaired, but any smoke alarms/CO2 alarms should not only sound, but flash so that there is a sound queue as well as a visual queue. It helps for those of us who sleep soundly as well, as I tend to block out noise, but the combination of lights and sound make it difficult for me to sleep through.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by wheeliecoach
      Hey TR...I do not know if you are also looking for what things you want to do for someone who is hearing impaired
      Absolutely. Any ideas to make my house as functional as possible, for as many people as possible, are welcome.

any smoke alarms/CO2 alarms should not only sound, but flash so that there is a sound queue as well as a visual queue.
      I can't believe I didn't think of that. Our telephones have flashing lights that go off when they ring and of course I've seen smoke alarms in hotels with visual cues, but I still hadn't thought of that for my own home.

Thanx again.

C.

Comment

Originally posted by JenJen
        Lock dots (tactile locator dots) are clear raised dots that resemble texturally the little bumpers on you cabinet doors to keep them from slamming too hard. I tried to find a pic online but I was unsuccessful. I get sheets of them from the Center for the Blind locally.
        I just did a search and found a few variations of these. This is easily doable! Neat.

Your flooring choices should help a visually impaired person find their way, especially if the sound changes with the material change.
        We'll find out! The floors aren't in yet, so I'm not sure if the sound will change as someone is walking. I'm very much hoping that once the hardwood floors are refinished, they don't make the wheels on my chair make that awful, squeaky, rubber noise. I hate that.

In the back yard I have 6 bumpy spots spaced along the walk so my SO can count to know how close he is to the gate and garbage cans.
        Our garage is attached to the house via a covered patio and the majority of the backyard will be concrete. We're going to add a wooden deck off the patio at some point. I'll have to look back there and see how navigable it is. I would like to put a fountain in the back corner, furthest from the back door. We're also going to put a decorative border around the driveway. The stamped concrete will be bumpy, so that would signal someone that they were at the edge of the driveway. (pic below)

The key vault... Contact your local FD. Ask them if they have an emergency entry program.
        Okie doke. I get it now.

I have a special little lock box near my front door that only the FD can (supposedly) open. If I need emergency assistance, PFD won’t have to kick in the door.
        Having my front door kicked in would be especially upsetting for me because we had a custom, stained glass door put in. (pic below)

I have a 911 premise alert so that if the PD or FD show up here for any reason, they know that 2 disabled people live here
        I Googled this and couldn't find anything local. I'll look into it further.

it’s good to know if your municipality assists with changing smoke detector batteries, etc and how that program works.
        The smoke detectors are being hard-wired in.

Hope you get much enjoyment from your home.
        Thanx. If we survive the renovation, I'll be amazed. We just met with the contractor at the house yesterday. When we got there, they were just installing the cabinets in the master bathroom. They were a lovely, cherry wood colour. They matched the kitchen cabinets that are already in. Unfortunately, they were supposed to be done in maple. Oh, what fun.

C.

The pic of the backyard is taken from where the fountain will go in, looking across the driveway (which hasn't been poured yet) towards the backdoor/patio area. In front of the chimney and the big window is where the deck will be put in. The driveway curves around the side of the house and up to the garage.

Comment

TR,

Hardwired smoke & carbon dioxide detectors should have battery back-up. with fresh batteries.
          Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

That is the way my smoke detectors are wired.

The door is really pretty TR...and different.

I was wondering why did you decide to remodel an existing as opposed to building new. Yall have definately put alot of work into it. The back yard sounds like it is going to be my kind of place. I want an outdoor kitchen and a fire pit on a huge concrete patio at our cabin. We are also going to figure out how to do a concrete path to the creek also.
            T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by darkeyed_daisy
              The door is really pretty TR...and different.
              Heh. Thanx. I'm lucky that I married a man that is so easy going. Spiders are NOT his thing, but he was still OK with me designing the front entrance to our house that way. He's even offered to make the driveway gate to match.

I was wondering why did you decide to remodel an existing as opposed to building new. Yall have definately put alot of work into it.
              It's certainly been a lot of work. What a pain! I've been told that designing an entirely new house is easier than remodeling an old one, but it seems like it would just mean more decisions had to be made. The reason we bought this house is that we wanted to live in a rather specific area and were having trouble finding anything accessible for less than half a million. Finding an empty lot to build on would have meant going way outside the area we want to live. We lucked out on this house and got a really, really good deal on it. (It was in pretty sketchy condition when we bought it.) It's literally a mile from where we work, too. We didn't have to do ALL this work in order to make the house functional for me, but we decided that since had to do A, B and C, we might as well make a full commitment and do D, E and F. We better like it, because we're going to be living in it for at least 5 years.

The back yard sounds like it is going to be my kind of place. I want an outdoor kitchen and a fire pit on a huge concrete patio at our cabin.
              We're thinking of enclosing that back "breezeway" between the house and the garage with one of these. That's why we want to build a deck out in front of that space. My husband already has a nice BBQ, but I'd like a firepit, too. With the sound of the fountain back there, I think it'll be nice.

We are also going to figure out how to do a concrete path to the creek also.
              My folks have a house on Elkhart Lake that is pretty darned accessible, but we decided the last, little bit of pathway down to the pier was too steep to ramp. We would have had to cut too far into the property to make it safe and attractive, so instead, my dad built me a funicular. (I just love that word). It's my own, personal, cable car. Takes my chair down to the pier and it's easy going to the boats from there.

C.

Comment

Very kewl house, TR. Functional and beautiful!

Bout the only thing I can think to add - and maybe it was mentioned and I just missed it - is a temperature control valve.

http://www.mckenziecorp.com/amot.htm

If ya need someone to do a powerchair test drive thru your new abode, I"m sure Debbie would be happy to help.
                Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
                - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Kendell
                  Very kewl house, TR. Functional and beautiful!
                  Thank you, thank you! I'll post interior pics when things are a bit cleaned up.

Bout the only thing I can think to add - and maybe it was mentioned and I just missed it - is a temperature control valve.

http://www.mckenziecorp.com/amot.htm
                  I feel like an idiot for asking this, and I should probably read the website a bit closer, but... is that for water temp?

If ya need someone to do a powerchair test drive thru your new abode, I"m sure Debbie would be happy to help.
                  Hey! I was actually thinking of something like that. I know that I've done some stuff wrong and I also admit to not doing a few things that have been recommended. I'm curious as to what the net result is in terms of universal accessibility and I figure having people with different abilities and limitations looking at it will make for a better assesment than if I try to judge it on my own.

I suppose you guys live too far to make it to our open house, but you could come to the National Championship race at Mid-Ohio in September. You can check out how accessible our race trailer is and help us convince the team owner that next time we need a slide-out for the toterhome.

C.

Comment

Yeesh! This is what happens when I"m in a hurry and only look at the headlines. Don't even bother looking at that link, Tiger. Not at all what I had in mind. Try this one instead..

http://www.keidel.com/design/select/showers-valve.htm

And, yeah, the idea is to control water temperature so you don't get your tootsies scalded..

You're right that your hometown is a bit of a trip for us. Mid-Ohio, however - could be possible and that would be very cool! When we get closer to September, let me know the pertinent info. and we'll see if we can pull it off!

Looking forward to more pics!
                    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
                    - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Kendell
                      yeah, the idea is to control water temperature so you don't get your tootsies scalded..
                      Ah-ha! Yes! That makes sense and I've got it covered. Thermostatic valves are included in the handheld showerhead assemblies that we're putting in.

Mid-Ohio, however - could be possible and that would be very cool! When we get closer to September, let me know the pertinent info. and we'll see if we can pull it off!
                      Very cool! I'll keep you posted.

Looking forward to more pics!
                      OK, here are two pics of the kitchen in progress. It actually looks better than this already, but I forgot to bring the camera yesterday when we went to look at the new granite, countertops and backsplash. The first pic is looking from the living room into the kitchen. You can see the cutout under the sink, the space where the fridge will be and the fancy, custom, stained glass window we put over the sink to camouflage the ugly view of the neighbor's motorhome next door. The colour on the walls is actually primer. We are painting the kitchen a light, grape green colour, but it's a bit darker than what is in the pics. The second one shows the lowered oven in the wall and the space where the adjustable cooktop will be. It looks from about where the sink is across the kitchen and into the living room towards the fireplace and backyard. You can just see a bit of one of my wheels in the doorway leading into the laundry room.

Comment

We are months overdue and there are still 100 little things that are either not quite right or just not finished, but we are finally in the process of moving! Half our stuff is packed and 2/3 of that is stacked up in the new garage. We spent all last weekend cleaning the house from ceilings to floors and everything in between. I literally got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed the hearth. Having the hardwood floors refinished left a layer of fine, fine dust over everything, but it was totally worth it! I love my floors, but I don't seem to have a pic of them. I do have some pictures of my swanky new kitchen though!

These pics show the adjustable cooktop (damn, now I need to learn how to cook!) minus the finishing panel that will go underneath to cover the mechanism and wiring, one of the accessible pantries and the raised oven (where I just noticed that the outlet and light switch is mounted too high) and a view of most of the kitchen looking towards the laundry room and the back of the house.

Comment

Here're some pics of the master bathroom. What a hassle this was! No matter how many times we met with the contractor and the cabinet maker, no matter how many times I pointed out that I use a wheelchair and therefore I'm not very tall, they still kept getting it wrong. The cabinets were remade twice and the doors had to be redone three times so that the handles were in the right places and the hinges opened the correct way. Sheesh.

The first pic is looking in from the master bedroom. The second pic is to the right of the sink and shows the toilet with the grab bars and how the cabinet is within reach of that and the last pic shows the sink and the tub. This pic was taken before the mirror was installed over the sink and there's no shower curtain yet and no shower bench, but you get the idea.

Comment

I moved into my "accesible," house two yrs ago. If I didn't miss anything you wrote, I had the wall sockets raised up about 6 inches higher than norm, so I wouldn't have to bend over so far.
                            "Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bullshit attached. Music survives everything, and like God it is always present. It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance. It has always found me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will." Eric Clapton

Comment

OK, here's a look from the living room towards the kitchen where you can see the custom stained glass window we put in over the sink. That window looks into our side yard and into the neighbor's side yard where they have a big, dirty, RV parked. It ain't a pretty view, but we didn't want to lose the light by covering it up with shades of some kind so we had a stained glass window with a grape theme designed for us. The clear glass lets in tons of light, but it has a texture to it that blurs the view. The second pic shows a closer view of the glass cabinets that open into the living room. It's the best pic I have that sort of shows the colour of the hardwood floors.

Comment

Absolutely gorgeous TR! I love, love, love the colour of the cabinets in the bathroom with that tile floor. I like lighter woods than the darker ones but the darker wood in the kitchen looks brilliant with the green walls. I'm currently trying to find a satisfying colour between clay and green myself.

The kitchen looks a tight fit - but maybe that was the camera angle. I know I whip around from stove to sink which are opposite each other when cooking and I love the fact that I can turn 360 degrees without being too careful - while balancing a cutting board or pot/dish on my lap.

And hey, you're in California - perhaps you can find Curtis Stone from Take Home Chef to cook for you and your husband .. lol.
                                Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Working...
                                X