Our home owners association got a piece of my mind today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our home owners association got a piece of my mind today

So. After 15 months of living in our house, I got this nice little letter in the mail today telling us that we are in violation of our community architectural standards by having a ramp on the front of our home. And that we needed to remove it immediately. I read it out loud to Chad. He moaned "ohhhhhh nooooooo" because:

Bwahahahahahaha. The person who sent this had NO frickin' clue who she was dealing with when she sent this letter. ****ami rolls up sleeves and dials the phone****

Let's just say that after a very polite (truly), yet firm discussion of the difficulty of going down stairs in a wheelchair, the hazards of not being able to leave one's home during an type of emergency that impedes your ability to use your properly installed hydraulic lift that is hidden from view from the precious vulnerable eyeballs of our neighbors, our legal rights under the ADA, our lawyer's name, and lastly, my opinion on JUST what the architectural committee could do with its complaint, she very hurriedly assured me that I could just ignore her letter. That there was nooooo problem now that I had explained it so well. Why, thank you for your cooperation Ms. Neighborhood Beautification Preservation Officer, bye now! And yes, why thank you, you have a great day too!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. The fact that we got that letter means that someone in this neighborhood complained about our ramp. If I ever find out who it was .... that person will be in for a far less polite conversation than the one I had today.

(edited to fix grammar)
    Last edited by zillazangel; 11 Jan 2007, 9:39 PM.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

ROFL, that cracked me up. I was cheering on the sidelines. Thx. I had a very rough day--I needed that.
    Please submit your photo and story of hope:

http://bridges2hope.unite2fightparalysis.org/

http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

Comment

Go Ami GO Ami GO AMI!!!!!

If you find out who it was be sure and buy some toilet paper to beauty up their yard.....although I am being told now that the in thing is to "fork" someone. Yes, I said fork....you buy plastic forks and stick hundreds of them in their yard fork end in the ground....LOL
      T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

daisy--is that kind of like saying "FORK YOU?"
        Please submit your photo and story of hope:

http://bridges2hope.unite2fightparalysis.org/

http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Susan M
          daisy--is that kind of like saying "FORK YOU?"
          LOL I learn all the "in" pranks to do to people from my prankster daughter.....LOL

It wasnt too long ago they made the front page of the newspaper because someone put dish washing liquid in the city fountain...bubbles all the way out on main street!!!!

LOL

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

You go, Ami!

At least in CA we have a very specific law that states that condo associations (and other "planned communities") cannot restrict or prevent the construction of accessibility features such as ramps, porch lifts, etc. in their developments. The only control that any architecural review committes has is some over how it looks...for example they can dictate the color of paint used on the ramp or requiring that it meet ADA standards.

I had this discussion with my condo board once (after attending a workshop where it was discussed that was put on by our ILC) when they wanted to prevent a ramp and hand rail from being installed by another owner. Condo associations are the ultimate NIMBYs, which is one of the reasons I just moved out of one after 23 years and into my own house!!

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thanks KLD, that means alot to me.

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
              You go, Ami!

At least in CA we have a very specific law that states that condo associations (and other "planned communities") cannot restrict or prevent the construction of accessibility features such as ramps, porch lifts, etc. in their developments. The only control that any architecural review committes has is some over how it looks...for example they can dictate the color of paint used on the ramp or requiring that it meet ADA standards.

I had this discussion with my condo board once (after attending a workshop where it was discussed that was put on by our ILC) when they wanted to prevent a ramp and hand rail from being installed by another owner. Condo associations are the ultimate NIMBYs, which is one of the reasons I just moved out of one after 23 years and into my own house!!

(KLD)

Comment

Ami, they just don't KNOW how many friends you have in NC...

I am thinking of thingys I could do to "beautify" the neighborhood...

Nothing illegal....

Just....hmmmm

Throw out a zillion kudzu seeds!!!

(Do they HAVE seeds???!!!)...

Hmmm what else could I do???

Thinking....

Buy about SEVEN Saint Bernards, and feed them doggie exlax, and let them HAVE AT IT...LOL

What else???

OHHHH

Easy one...

Hire a horse drawn carriage to bring me through the development...

There should be SEVERAL Souveniers along the way...LOL

OHHH...and if ALL else fails...

Provide you, Chad, and Small Boy with perfumed hankies for your noses,

and...

set out a dozen mad skunks in the neighborhood...

I think you will know now why you need the perfumed hankies...LOL

Take care, God bless!

Love y'all!

Teena

PS...The above things will never in a zillion years happen, but it felt REALLY good to dream them up...LOL...

Comment

LOL Teena!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I say we bring in 5 dozen garbage eating growling smelly possums and set em loose....... I could supply you with about 5 of those from my field....there are even babies and they could reproduce. LOL

Comment

Hey wait!! I live here too!! ROTFLMAO!!!

Comment

Hey, it's OK...I'm just dreaming...LOL!!!!

Comment

Ami, that's really funny about your HOA btw. well, i'm sure it wasn't so funny at the time.
                          Daniel

Comment

This has just been your week for people poking their noses into your biz, eh?

I'll await a thread entitled, "Condo Associations and Their Reactions to ADA Mods" ... Discuss.

Comment

Well done, Ami! A good response.
                              - Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X