No announcement yet.

Our home owners association got a piece of my mind today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only time we recieve any letters is when some house goes up for sale. I believe the realestate agents, or perhaps the owner, feels the need to make sure the rest of the neighborehood is up to snuff.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Comment

Man Im glad Im not part of any association....I think they would have a problem with my goat lot although my neighbors dog killed my goat last year.

Good thing I am moving down where my grandpa grew up..... I can have all the livestock I want including possums and skunks!!! and even a purple and hot pink ramp if I want!!! LOL
      T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Ami,
        Good for you! My HOA has been a PIA too. The President of the Board lives right next door and one day recently told me that they didn't want "my kiind" living here. Tried to physically bully me and puts stuff on the sidewalks so I can't pass. Picks on my PCA when she comes and goes, etc. Said to me "So you're one of those people who thinks the world owes you because you're in a wheelchair" This is because of my ramps and things too.

I went to the next board meeting, explained a little about the ADA and how it trumps any HOA rules, also explained that blocking access to my mail was a FEDERAL crime and directing it at my disability also made it a hate crime. The rest of the Board was wonderful and most of my neighbors are great and supported me.

Took tons of phone calls and letters but I finally got a postal inspector to knock a few doors and explain what prosecution for a federal hate crime looks like. Mr. President gulped so hard he sucked his anus up somewhere near his eyeballs.

Haven't had a problem since. I know it was the equivilent of swatting a fly with an elephant gun but if I didn't draw a very clear do not cross line, he would have made my life miserable.

I'm glad you stood up to them. Keep up the good work!
        My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Originally posted by jenlongdon
          Ami,
          Good for you! My HOA has been a PIA too. The President of the Board lives right next door and one day recently told me that they didn't want "my kiind" living here. Tried to physically bully me and puts stuff on the sidewalks so I can't pass. Picks on my PCA when she comes and goes, etc. Said to me "So you're one of those people who thinks the world owes you because you're in a wheelchair" This is because of my ramps and things too.

I went to the next board meeting, explained a little about the ADA and how it trumps any HOA rules, also explained that blocking access to my mail was a FEDERAL crime and directing it at my disability also made it a hate crime. The rest of the Board was wonderful and most of my neighbors are great and supported me.

Took tons of phone calls and letters but I finally got a postal inspector to knock a few doors and explain what prosecution for a federal hate crime looks like. Mr. President gulped so hard he sucked his anus up somewhere near his eyeballs.

Haven't had a problem since. I know it was the equivilent of swatting a fly with an elephant gun but if I didn't draw a very clear do not cross line, he would have made my life miserable.

My mouth is open....I cannot believe someone would be that stupid and mean!!!
          T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

ditto..that's absurd..what an ass

Comment

** sound of me falling off my couch **

I have never, ever seen such outward hate! My god, what kind of horrible person does that???? While I would never wish ill will to anyone, I surely wish this person would perhaps have to spend a week in a wheelchair. I spent only 2 days in one after foot surgery and I was already very empathetic. After that I was floored with Chad's abilities and perseverence. Maybe that neighborhood has some upcoming foot surgery scheduled!!! Or run, over (his/her) foot so as to necesitate foot surgery. Oooppppss!

Ami,

Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

Amazing. I find it hard to believe that people can act that way, let alone think that way. The elephant gun was well used.
                - Richard

Comment

Actually, it sounds like you did exactly what you needed to do in order to confirm your rights and make your living situation bearable again. Good for you.

C.

Comment

Working...
                  X