Project Walk client featured on Extreme Homemakeover Sun 12/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rollin 64
    the thing that tingles my mind is wondering about the quality of workmanship on a house being built totally from the ground up in 6/7 days.
    Look at it as 8 hour shifts.. 3 in a day over 7 days would equate to 3 weeks. Not hard to do in those terms, but I see your point on things. They use a mix of faster drying concrete that I think dries in more than 1/2 the time, also with sheetrock mud. They brought it up on one of the episodes where it rained a lot and I was starting to wonder how they could start. They have all the framing built off-site prior and with all the weeks of planning, things go really smooth. The house they did here just over a year ago, I spent 3 days out there. I have never seen so much going on being orchestrated so well. They have it down pat on how to stay efficient.. atleast from where I sat.

As for the depiction, I think she had too many amenities, but like Redneck said, that's reality tv.. That lift is very nice, but I only see a need for a track system to go from bed to shower, and that's even for high quads too.. in most cases. They mentioned that she could indepedantly move throughout the house on it.. then what? Drop in the floor?

I was a bit ruffled by the piece at PW. I agree that it makes us look lazy and that we aren't working hard enough. I dare someone to come up to me in my chair and comment that they watched the show.. I hear you Snowman about the producers leaving stuff on the cutting room floor, but someone at PW should have made damn sure before airing that things were realistic, right?

I think she was still very weak. It's been 3 months or so, but it usually airs 6 weeks after taping. That timeframe doesn't make sense.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

I just wanted to reiterate that as mentioned before, I wasn't aware of the extent of her injuries and if her husband had to carry her out of the car, push her around and lift her on and off the bed because of it, my bad.

I'm still surprised that as a para, she requires him as her full-time caregiver, which he mentioned numerous times. It made me somewhat uneasy because it leaves the general public with the impression that we have no ability to take care of ourselves, and anyone signing up to be a significant other of someone with a spinal cord injury will face some giant burden.

Comment

Floating Ghost

I just have this image of her floating all over the house on that suspension track like some figgin ghost. It may be in bad taste but it makes me laugh. On the other hand, from a sexual access POV, I can see where the suspension track could avail one (or two) of many otherwise missed opportunities.
        "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
        J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Originally posted by 2jazzyjeff
          I was a bit ruffled by the piece at PW. I agree that it makes us look lazy and that we aren't working hard enough. I dare someone to come up to me in my chair and comment that they watched the show.. I hear you Snowman about the producers leaving stuff on the cutting room floor, but someone at PW should have made damn sure before airing that things were realistic, right?
          I didn’t sense any negative inferences in the PW segment. I thought it was rightly focused on the very real accomplishments of PW's own clients.

Also, I don’t think PW could have expected final edit privileges (on a reality show?) any more than Dr. Young would for the interviews that he agrees to.
          Know Thyself

Comment

Originally posted by shelley
            Good Point!!

Was she shot more than once? It seemed like her partner was saying that she was shot in the upper chest just under her shoulder area. It didn't appear that he was pointing to an area that was near her spine.
            Being a gun shot victim myself, I know it doesn't exactly matter where the bullet went in. I was shot in the left chest, midway between my armpit and sternum. The bullet ended up lodged near the T10/11 vertebrae on the right side of my body...after tearing through my lung, stomach and diaphragm. I still have a lot of pain...but its improved greatly. At the same time, they started rehab as soon as I got out of the ICU and once I moved onto a rehab facility a few weeks after my injury they immediately started working on transfers...which thanks to my short arms and ill fitting brace I had to put on hold. But I've been transferring independently ever since my second stint of rehab without the brace. What drove me to gain my independence was not having to rely on my mother, and give her a break...I hope her husband realizes he's not exactly helping her by doing everything, at the same time, I hope that too was creative editing. I'd love to have her long arms...but I manage.

I too was a bit dissapointed by the message the show seemed to convey. That if you work hard enough and want it bad enough you will walk again. They don't take into the consideration that many don't have the money or the means to do so...no matter how much they want to. If all it took was determination and hope, we'd all be running marathons right now.

I've looked into a few programs, I live in KC and the closest facility similar to that is in Ohio. Sci-Step. If I was able to go, and my insurance happened to cover the therapy it would still be a huge expense just to live away from home for a few months. So, for many its either try everyting you can afford and have access to...or do the best to move on with your life...and its a bit disheartening knowing that sometimes.

Just my thoughts...

Jennifer

Comment

Originally posted by Bonita
              So, for many its either try everything you can afford and have access to...or do the best to move on with your life...

Just my thoughts...

Jennifer
              Beautiful thoughts Jennifer.

I think it's important to do both of these to the best of your abilities. My wife and I focus on having access to anything to help Sarah recover (and fortunately, Sarah has gone along with most of it, lol.), while Sarah has really sought to accomplish the task of moving on and living her teen years to the fullest.
              Last edited by rickhemi; 13 Dec 2006, 11:19 AM.
              Rick

GO FORWARD! 2 FIGHT! PARALYSIS!

Comment

Originally posted by Bonita

I too was a bit dissapointed by the message the show seemed to convey. That if you work hard enough and want it bad enough you will walk again. They don't take into the consideration that many don't have the money or the means to do so...no matter how much they want to. If all it took was determination and hope, we'd all be running marathons right now.
                Hey, Bonita, another Kansas girl! I grew up in Kansas. I also hate how they don't explain the impact of a complete vs. incomplete injury in most of these programs. The best therapy is only as good as the amount of spinal cord left hanging.

I doubt PW had much, or any, control of the final product. We're at the mercy of the media when we're interviewed. The media is a necessary evil but this is why I dislike being interviewed so much. Some people seem to love it, not me though.
                Blog:
                Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Project Walk had no say over what was or wasn't aired. The only control we had was whether or not they were allowed into the facility. It was up to the clients whether or not they wanted to be interviewed.

Eric Harness, CSCS
                  Founder/President
                  Neuro Ex, Inc
                  Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

Comment

Originally posted by betheny
                    Hey, Bonita, another Kansas girl! I grew up in Kansas. I also hate how they don't explain the impact of a complete vs. incomplete injury in most of these programs. The best therapy is only as good as the amount of spinal cord left hanging.

I doubt PW had much, or any, control of the final product. We're at the mercy of the media when we're interviewed. The media is a necessary evil but this is why I dislike being interviewed so much. Some people seem to love it, not me though.
                    "The amount of spinal cord left hanging." That there is some beautiful imagery, there, betheny. Yours?
                    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
                    J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Project walk client featured on extreme homemakover

I thought the show was great. On December 28,2006, my sister rolled her jeep. She was seriously injured, and now is paralyzed. She has gone though a rough time and has spent a lot of time in hospitals. Seeing this show it made her, and our family have hope for her walking again, even when the doctors said she wouldn't. Especially around this time of the year, it gave her hope. It was good for her to see someone else who is going through what she's gone through.

Comment

Originally posted by elizabeth_ann08
                        I thought the show was great. On December 28,2006, my sister rolled her jeep. She was seriously injured, and now is paralyzed. She has gone though a rough time and has spent a lot of time in hospitals. Seeing this show it made her, and our family have hope for her walking again, even when the doctors said she wouldn't. Especially around this time of the year, it gave her hope. It was good for her to see someone else who is going through what she's gone through.
                        Just about everyone with a spinal cord injury has been there and done that. Hope is a good thing...but hope alone isn't going to get anyone anywhere. Eventually reality will set in. Its just as important to accept yourself as it is to have hope. It doesn't have to be one way or the other, but there should really be a balance.

I have had my hope crushed numerous times, the more I find out about my injury...but that doesn't mean I have given up on hope or my faith either.

Once again, just my thoughts.

Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                        X