kitchens and bathrooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kitchens and bathrooms

im wondering how everyone has their kitchens and bathrooms set up to be more accessible. is there a way to get to top kitchen cabnits? for those who cook, is there anything that makes things easier? how about bathroom sink? im thinking wood cabnits are out if i have a roll in shower, but then what?

anyways, im looking into building a house and want to make it so im completely independent (im c6-7 complete). any ideas?

Bridget...

I use long handled "reachers" to access the cabinets in my kitchen (cups, plates, etc) and all of my glassware/plates are unbreakable just in case I drop them. If you have some hand function, you may be able to use those fairly easily to access your cabinets as well.

Check out the link below. There are pictures of the "guest house" that my parents built for me while I was in rehab (kitchen and bathroom included). It is fully accessible and although there are a few things I would change if I could, it works out great for me.

Also, North Carolina State University (my University [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) has a center for Universal Design. You may want to contact them for ideas. I'll try to post that link below as well.

My living space

Center for Universal Design

"The Great Thing In This World Is Not So Much Where We Are, But In What Direction We Are Moving"
    - Oliver Wendell Holmes -
    "Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me" ~Sarah McLachlan

Comment

Bridget -

Check out my house diary. Might give you some ideas.

Clippers House Diary Link

[This message was edited by Obieone on 03-07-05 at 09:38 PM.]

Comment

Ya,Clippers house diary is awsome...How about batroom cabinets in the bathroom [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]..I had a roll in shower put in and sink mounted on the wall thats about it.I havnt done my kithen,i just do everything sideways..

~~If it feels good do it even if ya shouldnt,dont let people mess you around~~

Comment

The PVA has a new (and free) booklet on kitchen design. You can find it out through the PVA store at www.pva.org

Here are some additional resources:

Bob Vila Accessible features

http://www.tenten.mb.ca/apt108/kitchen.htm

Rev-a-shelf (look under new products)

For bathrooms, you don't want a cabinet under the sink, but can put one beside it if there is room. Look for wall-hung cabinets if possible so you don't have to worry about rot from the base getting wet from the floor. We put the sink toward the corner (wall hung) and then put in a wall-mounted medicine chest on the side wall at wheelchair height. Mirror in front of the sink all the way down to the sink. In the area we remodeled (dressing room) there was already a closet with mirror doors, so we put bookcase shelves in that closet. This works well for all the bowel and bladder supplies and is easy to access. Of course we have a ceiling track lift in the bathroom and bedroom too.

(KLD)

[This message was edited by SCI-Nurse on 03-07-05 at 09:18 PM.]
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Check out below web sites, it had neat moving cabinets and stoves that raise and lower.

www.ad-as.com

Alyson

The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
            Don Juan Matus
            www.cawvsports.org
            The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
            We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

You can also check this one out:

http://www.barrierfree.org./

*~*~Kaisha~*~*
              *~*~Kaisha~*~*

http://www.dsusa.org

Comment

thx all for replies. im just getting some ideas and this is a great start.

clipper, can i move in [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] jk, i was wondering about that lift you have...does your chair actually lock in? id be afraid i might roll off and break my neck again [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by bridget:

clipper, can i move in [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] jk, i was wondering about that lift you have...does your chair actually lock in? id be afraid i might roll off and break my neck again [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]
                  My chair doesn't lock in, but the lips on either end and on the side prevent my wheels from going over the edges. HOWEVER, the lips will fold down when your wheel nudges them UNLESS you get the automatic arms. (My parents have an identical lift in their house without the automatic arms, and it always freaks me out a little.) The arms will keep you in safely, though. I've used my power chair, manual chair and even my shower chair on the lift and have never felt unsafe. The only tricky part is getting on. I sometimes tip back onto my anti-tip wheels. Hope the picture helps explain.

Comment

Does your lift have a manual crank? The lift my van breaks down occasionally but the manual crank does me no good because of where it is. Just wondering if this may have some of the same problems. My luck halfway up the power would go out. lol

Alyson

The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
                    Don Juan Matus
                    www.cawvsports.org
                    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
                    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

Originally posted by Aly:

Does your lift have a manual crank? The lift my van breaks down occasionally but the manual crank does me no good because of where it is. Just wondering if this may have some of the same problems. My luck halfway up the power would go out. lol
                      Yes, it has a manual crank. A very useless manual crank! The crank will get me all the way down or all the way up, but it will not raise the automatic arms. To raise those, you have to remove the panel -- which is near impossible to do with me on the lift. The lift has a battery backup, and my house has an emergency generator. So only a mechanical malfunction would leave me stranded. I carry a cell phone with me at all times, and I have a very loud scream. [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a roll in shower to the left side of my bathroom and a roll under sink front and center. To the right is a half closet and shelving above for supplies. Our house was built on a slab so in retrofitting a jackhammer was required to create a slight dip in the shower area. That area is tiled all the way up and a curtain goes all the way across (get the extra long length). Between that, the toilet between the shower curtain and sink area, a new fan, heat lamp and...a waterproof urethane finishing coat on the wood cabinet (that you cannot tell is waterproof) to the right underside of the sink there is no mildew or rot.

We did have a corner bench tiled also in the shower but that wll be coming out soon. It did not take to standing water. So after 12 years I guess there is some cracked and ugly grouting in that one area.

We, unfortunantly, built a kitchen based on my level when I left rehab the first time. I was pretty much a C5 so surprise, surprise 2 years later as all sorts of muscles showed up. I have always been able to use the under cabinets. They are Kraftmaids and have inside hinges and shelving that can be rolled out with about 2 fingers worth of effort. My prep area became a tad too high when my next powerchair went the way of most and shrank height-wise. Happily, I am married to a pretty good cook! [img]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."
                        Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

thx for pic clipper, that looks much safer than what i was picturing in the other photo.

Sue, how much were your counters lowered? i know most quads dont cook, but id really like to be able to for health reasons. i recently changed my diet to 90% natural/organic and i feel so much better.

heat lamps--does anyone have a link for this? does this work well? also, i thought about built in shower bench for the days i dont have to do my BP...for those who have this, do you like it? my current bathroom is accessible, but i want to set the next one up to where i can get in and out on my own. then id be the only one to see my naked butt. any after shower transfer tips would be great. its hard to move wet butt after im done taking a shower.

Comment

Originally posted by bridget:

Sue, how much were your counters lowered? i know most quads dont cook, but id really like to be able to for health reasons. i recently changed my diet to 90% natural/organic and i feel so much better.

Hmm, probably did't explain that well. The counters are now too high for me to use. I had a Ranger X and C5, for the most part, function. No one, including me, planned on my doing much cooking but I did have an area brought around as part of a breakfast bar that I could roll under. I sed that to do some prep work and had asked about lowering it later if needed. The guys who installed the Fountainhead (much like Corian at half the price and no longer in buisness) said to just give them a call and with a short addition for a downward cover on the cabinet underneath the breakfast bar they could lower the area to desk height. This stuff could be heated to remove all seams just like all the newer resin/stone combinations.

I am now a C5/7 with a lot of return function and the kitchen of my AB/gourmet cook dreams. [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img] If we move I'll reqork this but it cost a fortune to rebuild the first time. I think replacing the current washing machine and dryer would make the spousal unit happier. The front loaders are now so much easier for we wheelers to use and the laundry room has had the gas line and electrical lines moved.

heat lamps--does anyone have a link for this?

No, but almost anything your electrician says your current house wiring can handle can be found at Lowe's or Home Depot.

/ does this work well?

I like mine! Keeps me warm while drying off, brushing hair, blow drying hair, etc. Also helps reduce too much humidity in the room.

also, i thought about built in shower bench for the days i dont have to do my BP...for those who have this, do you like it?

I thought once I had the sideways stability I would love it. Unfotunantly when my current demyelinated areas hit anything cold they spaze. So if you are anything like me you will slide onto the floor. Do have a shelf with a short lip added during tiling where you can have your shampoo, soap, conditioner, etc. These can be had out of the same coplor most bathroom tiles are and in ceramic too.

but i want to set the next one up to where i can get in and out on my own. then id be the only one to see my naked butt.

LOL< I just ordered a combo commode/shower chair with large back wheels just so I can handle all this alone once I transfer. I can pivot stand while on nice dry carpet and this should give my spousal unit's back a few more years over the shower bench replacement idea.
                            Don't count on it but I'll see if I can find the photos I have of the room during construction. I have one with my dog getting a shower in there. But retreivers always look like they are being tortured if you approach them with soap. Muddy water, cool. Soap, run!

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

thx sue for the thorough response, its appreciated [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X