accessible house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

accessible house

Hi, I'm a C456 quad and I'm in a manual wheelchair. At the moment I live with my parents but I'm going to live on my own soon. An architect is drawing the plans for my new house (almost finished actually) but I want to make sure it'll be accessible for an electrical wheelchair too. I guess I'll have to use one some day. I have no idea about brands etc. but could anyone give me some advice on angles, distances, hights, widths I have to keep in mind? Also any good advices, ideas for my kitchen? Other? Thanks!

check a manufacturer's page Quickie Invacare etc.

They give dimensions etc.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

Our house will be finished in a week. I'll post pictures then.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
      ~ Anon
      Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Comment

Wouldn't it be neat if Discovery came up with a new show, "Accessible House"?
        Make it accessible and cool, at the same time.

http://krstofer.org
        http://krstofer.org

Comment

Me and my fiance just bought an accessible house. I will post pics soon.

Comment

if it's not too late to suggest. go with pocket doors as much as practical. not any harder to open/close i don't think and eliminates the doorway width problems with swinging doors. just moved into a new apartment with them and it's definitely something i'll go with in a house design. kitchen, look into dropped cooking and sink surfaces for access. it's still convenient for AB's to use and wc users alike.

Comment

Working...
            X