Is a sanded plywood ramp slippery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a sanded plywood ramp slippery?

Has anyone built or used a long ramp with sanded, stained plywood? Planning an inside garage to house ramp for a new house. Most of it will be 14:1 rise, then a shorter section will have to be 10:1. I'm a pretty strong manual wheelchair.user and was hoping to use nice sanded plywood and stain it so it looks nice, but I don't want to find that its slippery. I know I can paint it with sanded paint, but that is hard to keep clean and I'd also rather not have to cut individual horizontal slats so I just want to use plywood sheets.
    http://www.laughwithmecrywithme.com
    my website & blog

It can be when wet, for sure, but shouldn't be a problem inside. Especially at "ADA" grade (which I think is 1' for every 1" of rise, IIRC). I used it, for a small transition ramp, that is more than twice ADA grade (Rises ~8" in ~3'), so fairly steep. (I used it for a bit like that, but eventually I covered it in thin "indoor/outdoor" commercial carpet I got from Home Depot.) I used my SmartDrive to boost up it often and it didn't break traction.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
      It can be when wet, for sure, but shouldn't be a problem inside. Especially at "ADA" grade (which I think is 1' for every 1" of rise, IIRC). I used it, for a small transition ramp, that is more than twice ADA grade (Rises ~8" in ~3'), so fairly steep. (I used it for a bit like that, but eventually I covered it in thin "indoor/outdoor" commercial carpet I got from Home Depot.) I used my SmartDrive to boost up it often and it didn't break traction.
      This confuses me. The standard for new-build ramps per ADA is 1 inch rise for 12 inch distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetracyclone View Post

This confuses me. The standard for new-build ramps per ADA is 1 inch rise for 12 inch distance.
        Sorry. I didn't remember the right terminology for describing slope, or maybe I misunderstand the guidelines as they are written. I think I was just using the other side of the equation, saying for my 8" rise I would need an 8' ramp to meet ADA guidelines. Same as saying every foot of ramp can only have one inch of rise, right? My ramp is only ~3' long so it rises by quite a bit more than 1" per foot, to go up 8" in that distance, and it's plywood, and the SmartDrive didn't slip when powering up it, even before carpeting. That's what I was trying to say; that at ADA slope I don't think plywood would be slippery, because my plywood ramp was steeper and seemed to work fine for me.
        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

i had a 1 in ch plywood rap in ga i used ada 1in per foot only time slipper was ice and that was slick it handle rain fine i am c6c7 no issue for me had it 10 years

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post

Sorry. I didn't remember the right terminology for describing slope, or maybe I misunderstand the guidelines as they are written. I think I was just using the other side of the equation, saying for my 8" rise I would need an 8' ramp to meet ADA guidelines. Same as saying every foot of ramp can only have one inch of rise, right? My ramp is only ~3' long so it rises by quite a bit more than 1" per foot, to go up 8" in that distance, and it's plywood, and the SmartDrive didn't slip when powering up it, even before carpeting. That's what I was trying to say; that at ADA slope I don't think plywood would be slippery, because my plywood ramp was steeper and seemed to work fine for me.
            I did 3 months of rehab in an older building in Taiwan, where the tradition is to put a 2-8 inch vertical piece of stone at the entrance of all bathrooms. This was different with a step up of about 6 inches to accommodate plumbing, I guess the private bathroom was an afterthought. There was a 1 foot concrete ramp up. Because it was so short I learned to do it with a fast acceleration, but it was quite a trick for a newly injured quad. Fortunately I'd done manual labor pre injury so my recovering arms managed it. Both humans and buildings are adaptable, no? Yours is quite a challenge!

Comment

Yes, when wet. However, you can apply non-skid tape to provide friction. It's the same material you'll see around swimming pools. We use a fine grit on the foot plates for our shower chairs but it's offered in a number of grits. You can buy it at http://www.noskid.com.

Rick
              Rick Goldstein
              GO! Mobility Solutions
              facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Comment

Thank you everyone. Since after I go on an outing and my wheels get wet in the rainy northwest, they dry off on the carpet on my van floor before I exit onto my ramp inside the garage. So I think I'll start with just the stain and if I find it gets slippery at all we'll do a sanded paint or put some non skid tape strips.
                http://www.laughwithmecrywithme.com
                my website & blog

Comment

More simple to buy them check offer up or ebay...plywood warps and breaks after rolling on it over and over

metal much more safe and cost effective

Example $30!

https://offerup.com/item/detail/1284...wheechair+ramp

​​​​​​

Comment

Maybe instead of stain, you coat it with a strong glue and then apply sand. A couple coats and it will strengthen the ramp and provide grip.

Comment

Working...
                    X