Smart blinds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart blinds

Hi, I wanted to see if anyone has had experience with automated smart blinds. I’m looking to possibly get ones for my apartment, and since it is an apartment and I don’t know just how long I may live here, I don’t want to break the bank on them. However, I don’t want cheap looking ones either. I originally looked at Lutron ($$), but after reading some online reviews, I stumbled across Yoolax on Amazon. Does anyone have experience with this brand? Thanks

I'm in the same bind, and have resisted the temptation because I don't want to invest and then move later. The Lutron ones in particular look like they wouldn't transfer very well to a new place.
    C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

IKEA has a whole section of Smart Home stuff and it is comparatively affordable.
      https://www.ikea.com/us/en/cat/smart-home-hs001/

Comment

I have smart blinds in my bedroom. The brand was Hunter Douglas. They are nice to have, but mine needed a fair bit of adjustment. The batteries would wear out in the remote and nobody knew how to fix them.

Comment

There is a blind store called Blinds to Go they make motorized blinds. I have not used the motorized version but the quality is very good on the regular blinds. Here is the url: https://www.blindstogo.com/en/produc...alty/motorized

Comment

About 8 years ago, we had Hunter Douglas motorized fabric shades with remote control in our kitchen/family room. GJ had his desk and computer in the family room and spent a lot of time in that space. We thought it would be great for GJ to be able to control the blinds, open and close independently. It was a good thought, but it soon proved to be impractical. Since we didn't have electric power at each window to power each blind, the blinds were powered by batteries, as I remember, 8 AA batteries per blind. There are 8 windows in that area. The trouble was that the batteries didn't last long and had to be replaced quite often. GJ wasn't constantly opening and closing the blinds, just open, then close about once a day. Another problem we experienced was getting the blinds to sync opening and closing. Sometimes one or two blinds would open, and others wouldn't or just open part way. We had several technicians out to try to get the remote to function correctly, but never had any lasting luck with that. They never operated like you may have seen on television commercials. I also recall that the motors were very noisy (a grinding/groaning sort of sound) and slow (the more depleted the batteries, the slower to open and close). There was no back up draw cord or wand to open and close the shades manually when the batteries failed. After a couple years, we replaced these shades with manually operated shades. Generally there was always someone around to raise and lower the shades as needed.

So, unless you have electric power at each window or don't mind spending a fortune on batteries, and the remote control/app technology has improved significantly, I would recommend caution when considering motorized blinds.

NL
            Last edited by gjnl; 22 Apr 2021, 2:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X