Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fear of rolling down my staircase...?

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone lives in a house where there is the possibility of falling down steps in their wheelchair….? (e.g. wheelchair being at the top of a staircase ).

I have a hallway that runs past a staircase going down to a lower level… I’m a power chair and sometimes I worry I’ll drive poorly and potentially fall down… if I'm drunk :-)

Does anyone have a good solution for this…? But not some ugly stair gate… (other able bodied people use the stairs as well)….

I’m currently in the process of having to put in a new stair case so it would be the perfect time to adapt it….

Any automated type solution maybe … or maybe more practically....an extended first top step maybe…?

Idea...below ?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Solution_Extended_top_step.png
Views:	74
Size:	509.1 KB
ID:	2908126

Problem...!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Eg_problem.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	2908125

There are a lot of fairly attractive "baby gates" that you could put there, or have a swing type gate custom made.
    Don't drink and drive!

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Seems pretty simple. Don't get drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
        Yes! It worked for me. And I learned that if I didn't take the first drink, I'd never get drunk. Haven't been drunk since 1983.
        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
        NW NJ

Comment

Yeah, I actually don't drink a lot at all but I do drive my power chair as if I do sometimes... so any other ideas welcome please!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	diy-baby-gate-14-676x878.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.6 KB ID:	2908155

http://thelovenotesblog.com/2017/05/diy-baby-gate/

How do you get upstairs? Do you have an elevator?

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
              This doesn’t seem like a realistic solution.

Comment

I don't know what the regulations would say about a safety gate, but I believe that if you had a door at the top of the stairs then the std building code would require a landing on the other side of the door, i.e. the threshold cannot be the top step. It applied to a gate I installed at the top of some exterior stairs I built.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

How do you get upstairs? Do you have an elevator?[/URL]

(KLD)
                  There is a lift that I use.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
                    SCI-Nurse commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lift (UK)? Elevator (USA)? It sure would be helpful to have your location indicated in your profile. (KLD)

I like KLD's solution.
                  If you fell down those stairs you could break your neck.

Comment

I would be concerned that a 300-400 lbs. out of control power wheelchair may plow right through some gates at the top of staircases. Most pre-made plastic or wooden staircase gates are built to prevent crawling and toddling children from falling. Likely not as attractive, but possibly a steel mesh/rail security gate could be attractively fabricated.

NL

Comment

Working...
                    X