Finding housing with a disability.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding housing with a disability.

I see an end to a chapter in my life as a homeowner. Keeping up with maintenance and getting yard work done etc etc is becoming a pain. I’ve been trying to find some accessible apartment scenarios and mostly run across section 8 and low income stuff.
    Anyone know of some better way to search for accessible living arrangements for the severely disabled that does not require Medicaid or 4000 a month plus in costs?

Are you not interested in buying a condo instead of renting an apt.? If you are going the rental route with apartments, focus on new, large complexes which are much more likely to be compliant with ADA regulations for the 5% of units that are required to be ADA compliant. Landlords, as owners of “public accommodations,” have an independent duty to comply with the ADA and can therefore be liable for ADA compliance on property leased to and controlled by its tenants.

When I sold my townhouse style condo and started looking for a house I needed it to be accessible, or easily made accessible so that my mother (who had MS) could easily visit, and so that my friends with mobility disabilities could also easily visit. I sought out a realtor who also had a mobility disability, and told him "If you can get into the house, I will look at it". We had some adventures with his portable ramp but ultimately found the perfect house which needed very few modifications. It was not marketed as "wheelchair accessible", but it really was.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

It has gotten tough. Between the elderly and disabled. Under the Bush administration, they started cutting funding for different housing programs 811 and 202 programs and more. The Chicago Center for Independent Living use to be one of the top-notch CIL's in the country you might want to give them a call. Illinois CIL's https://www.incil.org/locate/

We partnered with Accessible Spaces Inc. out of Minnesota and built 2 nonprofit projects of 25, one, and two-bedroom units. I see they have one in Illinois but it is in Carbondale. Don't know how close / far that is from you.
      http://www.accessiblespace.org/illin...ssible-housing

Rereading your post it looks like you want to pay fair market value?

If you want to PM me with your location might have some ideas.

I've been a homeowner for 27 years and sometimes I think of alternatives too. The rental market has gotten high crazy times but it only takes one place.

Comment

Working...
      X