Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short lift height wheelchair lifts?

Hello All,
    My wife and I have purchased a new house which is going to make my life significantly easier and super excited. With that said we do have to add a few things for it to work.

The first, and most pressing is a lift into the house from the garage. the height from the garage floor to the doorway is about 22" and while the garage is very decently sized doing a ramp long enough to get me in is going to take up a lot of space. Because of that, I started looking at lifts but want to get some input from people who have experience with this sort of thing.
    • What do you use and what has been your experience.
    • Any out of the box ideas.....making something work that was not necessarily designed for the application? I looked at pallet lifts but there are no cost savings.
    Any and all info and ideas welcome.

Cheers,
    Jim

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0102.JPG Views:	0 Size:	357.2 KB ID:	2901973 Click image for larger version  Name:	shop elevator.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.3 KB ID:	2901971
    I needed a 31" lift to get to the office area of my auto shop in 1995.
    Four vendors quoted me $8,000 to 12.000 for a legal lift.
    I picked up a Braun side entry lift from a Ford van for $250.
    I installed it in my shop with a little modification and used it five days a week before selling the place in 2016 (21yrs) with absolutely zero maintenance!
    It also was pretty quick up and down.

I ran a 5/16" steel line down from the cylinder on the left, and into the basement where I put the lift-pump with a 12V Honda battery and a trickle charger. The battery was good/used and lasted 15 years! I guess you could say that was maintenance.

I welded a mount/supporting tab to the left side column at the upper floor level and put a lag bolt into the wood.
    At the top of the right column, I welded another tab and put a long 1/2" carriage bolt through the end of the petition.
    I was worried that the top left column would need to be supported, that the frame would twist when living weight, but it was fine and perfectly stable without one.

I welded some flat stock onto the bottom lateral part that the deck folds down onto to make the deck only go to 90* (in the van app, the lift hinges out from the top so the telescoping inner section of the sides clears the side door opening at the floor, and thus, un-altered, the angle to the frame is greater than 90*)

I highly recommend hunting one down. IMO this lift was superb. You could spend big bucks on a lift and in terms of simplicity, reliability, and function, it wouldn't compare!
    Of course-you have to remember to hold your place on the deck when elevating
    It's designed so the mini-ramp-strip across the outer edge raises as it rises to prevent your falling off. I just welded the hinges so it hits the floor. I suppose if it were on the side of a van, it might be handy to stop your rolling when the van was on uneven ground and the deck was tilted down by the terrain the van parked on, but it never was a problem with the deck being plumb.

I also have a three story dumbwaiter (rope pull) elevator in our barn house, I paid up for that unit! $1,200.
    But we had to install it, of course. But that's a whole 'other story.
    Last edited by pfcs49; 27 Aug 2020, 10:56 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

I made one out of a motorcycle life. Air powered, so would work if power went out. A buddy of mine bought a lift out of a van. Has a battery and charger (even hooked it to a solar panel).

Comment

I love that rope pull dumb waiter lift.. it's awesome.

Would you share some more pictures and and any other details you have please.

Did you manufacture it yourself? buy it? new ? used ?

Any video of you using it ?

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
        Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0102.JPG Views:	0 Size:	357.2 KB ID:	2901973 Click image for larger version Name:	shop elevator.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.3 KB ID:	2901971
        I needed a 31" lift to get to the office area of my auto shop in 1995.
        Four vendors quoted me $8,000 to 12.000 for a legal lift.
        I picked up a Braun side entry lift from a Ford van for $250.
        I installed it in my shop with a little modification and used it five days a week before selling the place in 2016 (21yrs) with absolutely zero maintenance!
        It also was pretty quick up and down.

I ran a 5/16" steel line down from the cylinder on the left, and into the basement where I put the lift-pump with a 12V Honda battery and a trickle charger. The battery was good/used and lasted 15 years! I guess you could say that was maintenance.

I welded a mount/supporting tab to the left side column at the upper floor level and put a lag bolt into the wood.
        At the top of the right column, I welded another tab and put a long 1/2" carriage bolt through the end of the petition.
        I was worried that the top left column would need to be supported, that the frame would twist when living weight, but it was fine and perfectly stable without one.

I welded some flat stock onto the bottom lateral part that the deck folds down onto to make the deck only go to 90* (in the van app, the lift hinges out from the top so the telescoping inner section of the sides clears the side door opening at the floor, and thus, un-altered, the angle to the frame is greater than 90*)

I highly recommend hunting one down. IMO this lift was superb. You could spend big bucks on a lift and in terms of simplicity, reliability, and function, it wouldn't compare!
        Of course-you have to remember to hold your place on the deck when elevating
        It's designed so the mini-ramp-strip across the outer edge raises as it rises to prevent your falling off. I just welded the hinges so it hits the floor. I suppose if it were on the side of a van, it might be handy to stop your rolling when the van was on uneven ground and the deck was tilted down by the terrain the van parked on, but it never was a problem with the deck being plumb.

I also have a three story dumbwaiter (rope pull) elevator in our barn house, I paid up for that unit! $1,200.
        But we had to install it, of course. But that's a whole 'other story.

Comment

"love that rope pull dumb waiter lift.. it's awesome.

Would you share some more pictures and and any other details you have please.

Did you manufacture it yourself? buy it? new ? used ?

Any video of you using it ?"

https://www.carecure.net/forum/sci-c...96#post2431896

Go to that post; the pictures of the mechanicals is on the next page; I have no video, maybe sometime I'll do that
          69yo male T12 complete since 1995
          NW NJ

Comment

Do you have a picture/video/post of it?

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
            I made one out of a motorcycle life. Air powered, so would work if power went out. A buddy of mine bought a lift out of a van. Has a battery and charger (even hooked it to a solar panel).

Comment

For a garage maybe an inclined platform lift works best. Because it is in line with the stairs. Otherwise, if the lift and stair are side by side that may eat into the space for the car.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X