Remote operated deadbolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote operated deadbolt

Does anybody have a remotely operated deadbolt so that one can let in a caregiver from bed? Although I have a multi-lock key, which is high-security and copy proof, I am thinking this would be a way to eliminate the keys altogether, though I do use the multi-lock, which is high-security and copy proof without the code card, which I keep in a safe.

My parents installed a push button combination lock instead. The one they bought could have as many as 15 different combinations. They had one they and family used, and created one for the next door neighbor to use when needed, and one for each attendant (when hired). When an attendant quit or was fired, their combination was erased. It worked great.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

We have a Schlage "Z-wave Connect" deadbolt that is z-wave enabled and has a keypad. It talks to a Samsung smartthings hub. Can lock/unlock from the Samsung app on both our Android phones and an iPad. The app also allows us to manage(add, delete, temporarily disable) multiple codes for the keypad as well. Default code length is 4 digits, but supports longer (up to 8 I think?)

With a bit of work with the IFTTT interface, we made possible to control it via voice though our Google Home device.

Had it for a couple years now and just replaced the batteries for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
        My parents installed a push button combination lock instead. The one they bought could have as many as 15 different combinations. They had one they and family used, and created one for the next door neighbor to use when needed, and one for each attendant (when hired). When an attendant quit or was fired, their combination was erased. It worked great.

(KLD)
        This is what we have .. i would stay away from electronics.

Comment

typical push button locks are not deadbolt. I wouldn't sleep or leave the house unoccupied w/o a deadbolt being used.

had a push button lock on my apt which was burgled with ease.

Comment

I can lock and unlock mine through my echo and it has a master and guest codes for unlocking the deadbolt.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
              I can lock and unlock mine through my echo and it has a master and guest codes for unlocking the deadbolt.
              I take it this requires batteries to power a motor that rotates the deadbolt. How long do the batteries last and are they accessed from the inside or outside?

Comment

Originally posted by crags View Post
                I take it this requires batteries to power a motor that rotates the deadbolt. How long do the batteries last and are they accessed from the inside or outside?
                The batteries are accessible from the inside and last around a year. I had to get a SmartThings hub to bridge it to my echo but newer models might not need to; not sure.

Comment

I have a couple of Wyze video cameras and like them. Just got an email today that they launched a wireless deadbolt product. Might be worth a look. https://wyze.com/wyze-lock
                  C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

The Schlage also allows you to check the battery charge % via the smartthings app. We replaced them at 30%, because well for the price of a couple of AAs, why not?

Comment

Originally posted by ImWithHer View Post
                      The Schlage also allows you to check the battery charge % via the smartthings app. We replaced them at 30%, because well for the price of a couple of AAs, why not?
                      Ever had any issues with yours? I'm contemplating the bluetooth one but weary of the poor feedback comments some left

Comment

Originally posted by RJC View Post

Ever had any issues with yours? I'm contemplating the bluetooth one but weary of the poor feedback comments some left
                        Only one very minor issue with the z-wave version. At one point someone inside only turned the lock knob about halfway, enough to keep the door from opening. But it wouldn't let us unlock it from the keypad outside because it didn't think it was locked. Trick was to command it to lock and then we could unlock it. More of just a learning how it works thing than a real issue. Otherwise very reliable.

Comment

I bought a remote control deadbolt (similar to what Scott listed) a little over 10 years ago, you can see it here
                          https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                          very reliable, never had any problems.
                          Dan G. in CT

Comment

Working...
                          X