Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manufactured Homes - Can you remodel them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manufactured Homes - Can you remodel them?

So I have been looking for a place to retire to, and a house with 30+acres has fallen my way. My question is - it has a manufactured house (mobile home on a foundation) on it, and would need to be modified for handicap accessibility.

Can this be done with these homes? The ramps and doors shouldn't be any problem, but the bathrooms and kitchen would need work.
    Anybody else live in a manufactured house or have had their house modified without any issues?

Thanks

Manufacture home and "mobile home with a foundation" are very different things. Manufactured homes are built like any other just mostly off premises then assembled on site in large sections. They can be modified like any other. Mobile homes are built on trailer beds and have different foundations and construction code from interior walls and ceilings and such.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Comment

agre with oddity but u should be able to modify whaat you need with those manufactured beams and reconfigure door way bathroom if you nee a roll in shower you could retile or you use a dumawall interlocking tile lots of opportunities
      show picture go for it

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
        Manufacture home and "mobile home with a foundation" are very different things. Manufactured homes are built like any other just mostly off premises then assembled on site in large sections. They can be modified like any other. Mobile homes are built on trailer beds and have different foundations and construction code from interior walls and ceilings and such.
        OK- Thanks Oddity - Looked like a trailer w/o wheels to me.

vjls - you are correct with the modifications. Have talked with 3 different contractors, and all say the same thing; the bathrooms in these houses can be modified, but can be tricky. What I also learned is that these houses are pretty expensive on the electricity. Not sure if its the way its floor plan is spread out, or if the structures have a lot of drafts.
        I'm thinking of having an energy audit done to get a better idea of what cash I gotta put out to make this home comfy.

Comment

Originally posted by graybeard View Post

vjls - you are correct with the modifications. Have talked with 3 different contractors, and all say the same thing; the bathrooms in these houses can be modified, but can be tricky. What I also learned is that these houses are pretty expensive on the electricity. Not sure if its the way its floor plan is spread out, or if the structures have a lot of drafts.
          I'm thinking of having an energy audit done to get a better idea of what cash I gotta put out to make this home comfy.
          I live in a modular years ago its was 6 inch walls I had the bottom of it surround by straw bales so wind could not get under. engry audit smart idea also u can get 1 of those thing u point at wall and ceiling and it well tell u hot cold spot u can get them at hd or lowes insulation and windows are always good ideas along with a good heating and cooling.

keep us in loop I love remodeling homes everyone I have ever lived in redid

BLACK+DECKER TLD100 Thermal Leak Detector
          by BLACK+DECKER
          4.5 out of 5 stars 1,775 ratings
          | 113 answered questions
          Amazon's Choice for "camera detector"
          Was: $30.88
          Price: $29.42 & FREE Shipping. Details & FREE Returns
          You Save: $1.46 (5%)
          Get $100 off instantly: Pay $0.00 upon approval for the Amazon.com Store Card.
          Note: Available at a lower price from other sellers that may not offer free Prime shipping.
          Free Amazon tech support included

Uses infrared sensors to measure surface temperatures
          Helps homeowners track down power-draining drafts
          Sold with a 5-step guide to fixing basic energy leaks and comes with the thermal leak detector
          Plugging leaks can save up to 20 percent on heating and cooling costs
          Backed by a two-year warranty

› See more product details
          Compare with similar items
          New & Used (28) from $27.07 + FREE Shipping
          Report incorrect product inform

Comment

If it has electric heat it going to be expensive, as it's the highest cost per BTU there is.

Comment

I live in a modular years ago its was 6 inch walls I had the bottom of it surround by straw bales so wind could not get under. engry audit smart idea also u can get 1 of those thing u point at wall and ceiling and it well tell u hot cold spot u can get them at hd or lowes insulation and windows are always good ideas along with a good heating and cooling.

Yeah vljs - thank you for the response. I do have one of those handheld heat source detectors. Am sure the energy audit folks will cart around an upgraded model compared to the one I use.

Rusty James - Oh yeah brother! I found out quickly how 'spensive that electric heat can be! I use a woodstove now to keep the electric bill down. This house has a fireplace, which I am not a fan of. However the masonry of the chimney doesn't allow for a woodstove to be used, and the firebox is really small for the fireplace. Almost an entertainment atmosphere use than heat source.
              Last edited by graybeard; 01-15-2020, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Yeah vljs - thank you for the response. I do have one of those handheld heat source detectors. Am sure the energy audit folks will cart around an upgraded model compared to the one I use.

Rusty James - Oh yeah brother! I found out quickly how 'spensive that electric heat can be! I use a woodstove now to keep the electric bill down. This house has a fireplace, which I am not a fan of. However the masonry of the chimney doesn't allow for a woodstove to be used, and the firebox is really small for the fireplace. Almost an entertainment atmosphere use than heat source.
                Not sure what you mean by the masonry chimney not allowing the woodstove use. If there's a code issue with that than you could in most cases slip a stainless steel liner in the flue. Wood burning is a PIA but there's nothing like it when the space doesn't have a tight envelope.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post
                  Not sure what you mean by the masonry chimney not allowing the woodstove use. If there's a code issue with that than you could in most cases slip a stainless steel liner in the flue. Wood burning is a PIA but there's nothing like it when the space doesn't have a tight envelope.
                  Yeah Rusty - guess I shoulda explained better - The masonry for the fireplace is not very high on the wall. The chimney itself - yes you are correct- a SS sleeve can be placed there for the flue. To use a woodstove, the height of the masonry is currently very low. I realized after posting that the fireplace is actually a gas fireplace. For the woodstove to be used, I would need to extend a floor protector outward maybe 3-4 ft and the pipe from the stove to the thimble would need to be 24" (fire code) if memory serves me. Wish I could remember how to post pics. Would better explain what I 'm trying to say.
                  Last edited by graybeard; 01-24-2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Ok Rusty - I think I got the photo figured out:
                    This is the gas fireplace: Not sure why the photo is so dinky....

Comment

You don't like the gas fireplace? I think they are really the way to go, rather than wood. A friend has one in Her house and I was surprised how well they work. Wood is a PIA to deal with, especially if you're in a wheelchair.

Comment

I am going to a wood pellet stove lots easier

Comment

Wood pellet is a good option but lugging bags of pellets around can be a hassle. And the pricing on them has increased significantly, at least around here they have.

Comment

well my caregiver wood put in hopper and as we are not bitterly cold like u guys it should last me 3 to 4 day a 40lb bag is 5.99 and I really would not go thru that many

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post
                              You don't like the gas fireplace? I think they are really the way to go, rather than wood. A friend has one in Her house and I was surprised how well they work. Wood is a PIA to deal with, especially if you're in a wheelchair.
                              I can agree that wood is rough, but I like the work. Most times I can use my power chair to wheel the wood in and stack it on a rack. Cutting up logs is a challenge that is doable as long as they're aren't too big in diameter. If I had to use just my wheelchair, yeah buddy, that would be a dealbreaker. I imagine as I get a lot older, gas would be the go to heat choice. Just not enamored with it right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X