sliding door threshold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sliding door threshold

I'm planning a stay at an airbnb that has a sliding glass door. I'm trying to figure out how elaborate I need to get rampwise to cross the threshold without messing up the doorway. I'm in a powerchair.

I appreciate hearing any suggestions/experience folks might have for a temporary situation like this.

Is there a small step down on the outdoor side of the sliding glass door? This is pretty common, and makes ramping a little more difficult. If not, you can use a threshold ramp on either side of the door and set them up so they meet or nearly meet over the track. Not cheap though.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

See specifications here: https://www.discountramps.com/thresh_ramps/p/Thresh/
        Attached Files

Comment

I have this very set up in my Florida airbnb works well!I only need it on one side but can't shut the slider when it is in most of the time door is open anyway

Originally posted by gjnl View Post

Comment

For $37 including shipping I figured, what the hell, let's see if I can smooth my entrance without interfering with the slider or the screen.
            Will see!
            69yo male T12 complete since 1995
            NW NJ

Comment

It worked out great.
              I was able to section the ramp, putting in a narrow part between the glass track and the screen track, then down to the patio with the last section.
              Attached Files
              NW NJ

Comment

Hope you don't have 3" casters. Probably not. They're really only good for the court. I cringe when I see them on an everyday chair, thinking it's just a matter of time until that caster locks up or worse.

Comment

I'm cheap. I have half-inch boards on either side. Bumpy but allows me to clear the pin from my easy lock.
                  T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Mize View Post
                    I'm cheap. I have half-inch boards on either side. Bumpy but allows me to clear the pin from my easy lock.
                    Yep, me too. I mitered in an angle to make the transition smoother but it's still just a couple strips of wood.
                    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Better places to pinch a penny than to have hazards and restrict freedom in your own house. Not only is that a header hazzard, but it's also difficult to carry stuff in your lap over a sliding door track. My solution is French doors and a small ramp. The improved mobility is worth a few hundred dollars.
                      Attached Files

Comment

My solution is neither expensive, a hazard, nor an obstacle, so, I'm good.
                        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                          My solution is neither expensive, a hazard, nor an obstacle, so, I'm good.
                          Hey man! A solution is a solution. What's the problem
                          NW NJ

Comment

Exactly what I was wondering!
                            Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                            Hey man! A solution is a solution. What's the problem

Comment

What's the problem? I lived with your type of solution for years and it didn't work for me. I found it to be a hazard. Maybe it works for you because you have larger casters. Maybe your wife or kids can carry stuff for you. Maybe you are able to deal with it some other way better than I could. I don't have a wife or kids to carry stuff in and out for me. When I transport stuff I don't want it dropping, especially food from the grill. It's happened. I don't want my casters getting caught in a track. That has also happened. That's the problem. Glad it's not a problem for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X