Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Home makes phone calls now (x-post from equipment)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Home makes phone calls now (x-post from equipment)

Hi all,

I have always been scared of falling in my home and not being able to reach my phone to dial for help.

Google Home changed that. I can make phone calls by a voice command. No, it will not call the police, but it will call the people in your phone book. Odds are, one of them will pick up and be able to call for help for me.

The only downside is that the caller id shows up as "private caller".

Either way, I feel much safer in my apartment now.

could you put the police in your contacts under a different name and it would call it that way. Maybe not 911 but the police dept... I am assuming if you say call police it will not do it even if you have the number in your contacts under police? But I am not sure why it would not do that

Comment

Cut out the middleman. Down this way we can hook up with the St Johns emergency service. They have a record of what ails us and we can carry an emergency pager.

Comment

@djrolling I like your idea! I will try that tonight.

@slowrunner With a pager you still need to have it on your person to use it. The nice thing about Google home is I can just yell. Say getting out of the shower

Comment

Originally posted by juniorsenior View Post
          @djrolling I like your idea! I will try that tonight.

@slowrunner With a pager you still need to have it on your person to use it. The nice thing about Google home is I can just yell. Say getting out of the shower
          You could put the police department under John Law or LEO

Comment

You shower???

No, that makes sense junior. Technology is great sometimes.

Comment

Let us know if it works.

did not read it all but here is an article in USA Today on it

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...elp/486075001/

Comment

I called an Amazon help desk to ask them about Alexa. The tech told me that Alexa will call a non-emergency police number.
                Female, T9 incomplete

Comment

Actually Police have what is called a well check. They send the closest police car to the address just to make sure the individual is okay. I have had to use it to check up on my mother. Not the fastest but they will go in and check.

Comment

Good Idea just put the number for the police dept in your contacts they will either send a car of patch you through to 911 depending on the circumstance

Comment

Hi all,

I have always been scared of falling in my home and not being able to reach my phone to dial for help.

Google Home changed that. I can make phone calls by a voice command. No, it will not call the police, but it will call the people in your phone book. Odds are, one of them will pick up and be able to call for help for me.

The only downside is that the caller id shows up as "private caller".

Either way, I feel much safer in my apartment now.
                      The USA article is older and since Google has updated software.

Not sure what you're doing that is stopping you from calling 911? But I would call the Fire department 1st.

We have Google minis and it worked fine. We told the dispatcher we just wanted to test it. But the Fire department closest to your home would be the best contact if you fall or need help as they can respond faster and provide medical care if you needed it.

I would even go a step further and go to the FD and introduce yourself and tell them your concerns.

Our fire department even stops by and changes our batteries for free in our fire alarms.

We have minis in both our bathroom and bedroom. It also allows us to turn off lights, turn on heater, get news and play music with simple voice control and not need to yell.

https://store.google.com/us/product/..._mini?hl=en-US

Comment

Working...
                      X