ADA dishwasher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADA dishwasher

its that time. been 10 yrs since we built our condo, time flies. anywho we are buying all new appliances. we need a ada height dishwasher since we had our cabinets/countertops built lower. the 2 higher end mfr I've found are boush and fisckall(sp) that offer ada height........... any recommendations.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Have you looked at drawer style dishwashers? What is the maximum dishwasher height that your new countertops can accommodate??

Bosch, ASKO, and Fisher & Paykel are high end appliance (and expensive) companies, but they are good quality.

You can find a number of options of both drawer and "ADA compliant" regular dishwashers by Googling "ada dishwasher". Here are some tips on shopping:

http://dishwashersguide.com/kitchen/...nt-dishwasher/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
      Have you looked at drawer style dishwashers? What is the maximum dishwasher height that your new countertops can accommodate??

Bosch, ASKO, and Fisher & Paykel are high end appliance (and expensive) companies, but they are good quality.

You can find a number of options of both drawer and "ADA compliant" regular dishwashers by Googling "ada dishwasher". Here are some tips on shopping:

http://dishwashersguide.com/kitchen/...nt-dishwasher/

(KLD)
      thx kld, we have about 32.5 inch high opening. that's the ada part we need the height. ada are going to be around 32 in. that really limits the selection.
      I like the look of drawer units.
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com

Comment

I have a Fisher & Paykel dual drawer dishwasher. It is easy to load and well built, highly recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
          I have a Fisher & Paykel dual drawer dishwasher. It is easy to load and well built, highly recommend.
          thx t8.. they are sharp looking
          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com

Comment

When our dishwasher breaks down, we will be considering an AEG ComfortLift dishwasher.

Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

We bought the fischer paykel kitchen remodel in a feeew weeks
              Bike-on.com rep
              John@bike-on.com

Comment

A standard dishwasher also has dual drawers. How is the Fisher & Paykel dual drawer dishwasher any easier to load than a standard dishwasher?

Comment

While we're talking about kitchen appliances accessibility, have you considered a pull-out stove top? That enables accessibility, cabinet space underneath, and the stove location to be turning distance from the island. Makes a huge difference. I staggered my counter heights. The highest counter is for a standard dishwasher only. The sink counter goes as low as possible to provide knee to sink clearance. The island, where I spend most of my time, is super low.

Comment

Miele makes a very good ADA compliant dishwasher.

Comment

I was curious what makes kitchen appliances ADA compliant. Here is a page from the GE website that specifies what makes Refrigerators, Dishwashers, Ranges, Cooktops, Wall Ovens, Microwave Ovens, Washers and Dryers ADA compliant. http://www.geappliances.com/ge/ada-c...ia-dishwashers

Comment

ADA compliance for dishwashers (from the Sears website):

According to the Americans with Disabilities Act, dishwashers are ADA compliant if all the controls are within an arm's reach and located on the front of the machine. In addition, all the rack space for loading and unloading should be easily accessible from the front of the device. These models sit between 15 and 48 inches above the floor and can be operated with one hand. It's also required these dishwashers be used with less than 5 pounds of force. That way people who are physically incapable of maneuvering standard controls, including pushing buttons or turning gauges, can operate the machine with no hassle.
                        (KLD)
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I was amazed to find that the ADA regulations actually address standards for appliances. The 306 and 309 regulations that are referenced are: https://www.access-board.gov/guideli...operable-parts
                          Attached Files

Comment

its about height. ada dishwashers are shorter to fit under lowered countertops.
                            Originally posted by August West View Post
                            While we're talking about kitchen appliances accessibility, have you considered a pull-out stove top? That enables accessibility, cabinet space underneath, and the stove location to be turning distance from the island. Makes a huge difference. I staggered my counter heights. The highest counter is for a standard dishwasher only. The sink counter goes as low as possible to provide knee to sink clearance. The island, where I spend most of my time, is super low.
                            Bike-on.com rep
                            John@bike-on.com

Comment

Working...
                            X