Shipping Container home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping Container home?

Has anyone here ever considered building a shipping container home?

I've researched it before, and the cost to build such a home seems significantly lower than a traditional wooden frame, which could be nice because you could use the savings toward accessible elements and technologies inside the home.

Thoughts?
    Don't call me Barbie, my name is Jen!

I have not considered it. But now might be the time if you are serious. There are lots of containers stacked up way high going idle around here.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

One of the major stumbling blocks I can see is getting building/occupation permits and zoning approval. In addition there are the individual city or town architectural review boards that may think this kind of housing is not appropriate for inclusion in most neighborhoods. I've seen some attractive make overs of containers. Amazing what can be done.

Comment

Why wouldn't you just go the trailer route. If you did build a shipping container home, you would basically be building a trailer w/ no wheels from scratch. Would be cheaper just go grab a existing used double wide.

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
          One of the major stumbling blocks I can see is getting building/occupation permits and zoning approval. In addition there are the individual city or town architectural review boards that may think this kind of housing is not appropriate for inclusion in most neighborhoods. I've seen some attractive make overs of containers. Amazing what can be done.
          There aren't any codes regarding what kind of architectural design a house can be. But if was an issue it's easy to make the house look more conventional!

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
            Why wouldn't you just go the trailer route. If you did build a shipping container home, you would basically be building a trailer w/ no wheels from scratch. Would be cheaper just go grab a existing used double wide.
            Because I want more space than a double wide, plus I want to design the inside by myself, and cut costs as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelchairbarbie View Post
              There aren't any codes regarding what kind of architectural design a house can be. But if was an issue it's easy to make the house look more conventional!
              Maybe not in Canada, but in the United States, many city and township design review committees can dictate many features about housing from roof lines to siding material to roofing material to square feet of windows to fencing to, to, to....and more. There are certain communities that "uncoventional" housing designs would not be allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                Maybe not in Canada, but in the United States, many city and township design review committees can dictate many features about housing from roof lines to siding material to roofing material to square feet of windows to fencing to, to, to....and more. There are certain communities that "uncoventional" housing designs would not be allowed.
                I know, I've heard about those towns! I know there was an uproar from people, in the community where I live, about a house with modern architecture, but there wasn't anything the complaining people could do because there are no guidelines on what style of house can be built. It's a beautiful house, imo.

Comment

a shipping container is not that big by the time insulate everthing get a toy trailer rv

Comment

Originally posted by wheelchairbarbie View Post
                    I know, I've heard about those towns! I know there was an uproar from people, in the community where I live, about a house with modern architecture, but there wasn't anything the complaining people could do because there are no guidelines on what style of house can be built. It's a beautiful house, imo.
                    I totally agree with you, the modern architecture of most container homes is very appealing (to some). That said, I know in my community/town, the design review committee would rip you a new one before container housing would be allowed.

Comment

http://www.storstac.com/shipping-container-housing/

First one in Toronto.

http://inhabitat.com/canadian-man-bu...lds-for-20000/

I've been trying to talk my brother the farmer into letting me have an acre of land or less for a summer home .. so far no go. lol
                      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Note that the second link above is to a container house that is off the grid for utilities, and lacks a toilet (you have to use an outhouse). It is not currently used as a home either, so is only partially furnished. It also appears to lack insulation on the roof...a real problem in a cold or snowy climate.

You might find it easier to get permits for a double-wide mobile home or for pre-fab (manufactured) housing. A number of my clients have had these custom made to be fully accessible.

(KLD)
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Kinda love these:

http://www.countryliving.com/home-de...8/granny-pods/

More of 'I wish I'd known .. '

http://www.containerhomeplans.org/20...ontainer-home/

In Canada:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...says-1.3231377

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle29832350/

http://www.containerhouseontario.com/
                          Last edited by lynnifer; 02-06-2017, 03:31 AM.
                          Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

Comment

These might be a better fit for Canada (Japan gets snow too):

Comment

This is a great Thread. I love the small, but efficient homes, and the 'green' use of still-useful materials. Plus, any way that a person can possibly retain, or obtain, independence should be explored.
                              Female, T9 incomplete

Comment

Working...
                              X