Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mechanical lifts (ie not powered by electricity)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mechanical lifts (ie not powered by electricity)

I just bought an acreage (its about 5000sq metres) for an investment property. It has a 2 storey house on a slope gentle enough that if I wanted to I could just go out the front door and down and around to the back door. Not always ideal though. I have looked into elevators, but the fact they are powered by electricity makes me uncomfortable. I remember watching an american movie. It might have been vintage B&W I cant remember where there was people living in an apartment complex, I would assume no more than 3 levels where when they were in the lift they had to turn a wheel to go up and down levels. It has got me intrigued. Has anyone heard of elevators that are independant of electricity, like a pulley and lever system?
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
    "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

It's funny you mention this because I was just thinking of this guy the other day ... I *LOVE* his lift ... I'd be incredibly uncomfortable with electrical lifts too unless there's a back-up generator.

Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Pretty close to what I'm looking for. I was beginning to think I was dreaming. Gonna see what I can do to make this happen. Not very mechanically minded so I'll have to find someone who knows what they are doing.

"The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
      (1930- )

Comment

This is a fully manual "invalid" lift I had installed, (circa 1900 device)
        Attached Files
        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
        NW NJ

Comment

Put the capstan in the car, but how do you then call it to another floor?
          Normal lifts don't use much power. Power is reasonably reliable. Need phone in case you get stuck.
          http://zagam.net/

Comment

Both of these manually-powered elevators are really neat devices.

Comment

Originally posted by zagam View Post
              Put the capstan in the car, but how do you then call it to another floor?
              If the wheelchair user is the only one who ever uses the elevator, then that is not an issue. How would they get to the other floor to call the elevator to...except by taking the elevator?

You would also need to be sure that this would meet building codes where you live, which may be a requirement for your homeowners' insurance to also cover it. Also, there are home elevators with battery back-up for power failures.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Yes, but-my wife uses it to move large bulky stuff from floor to floor or basement and has the habit of either leaving the elevator stuffed with stuff or on another floor!

Another floor is easy-just pull the appropriate rope until the cab is home.
                Stuffed with stuff? Requires patience!
                NW NJ

Comment

What is a capstan?

Professor Bill Johnston
                  (1930- )

Comment

Originally posted by Mutley View Post
                    What is a capstan?
                    https://www.britannica.com/technology/capstan

(KLD)
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

from the office of useless information: president Roosevelt, who lived just up the road from Poukipsie where the elevator was built, had (still there) a nearly identical unit in his estate in New Hyde Park.
                      NW NJ

Comment

An old aquaintence bought an older Victorian home in Malden Mass prior to 1970. it had a water powered elevator, that lifted an platform lift to the second floor. It used the hydraulic head of city supplied water pushed on a piston, no electric power. This is somewhat similar to the lifts used in the old service stations which operated on air and/or hydraulic pressure to lift the automobile for under the vehicle service. They were all quite slow.

Building officials have very limited authority over what is installed in a "private" residences by the owner of that property. But, anything installed by a so called professional or licensed installer or builder must comply with certified or accepted professional practices.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutley View Post
                          What is a capstan?
                          In an elevator, the capstan is the horizontal drum around which the cables are wrapped. The cables have a counterweight on the other end to keep them tight and reduce the amount of work required.

The capstan is at the top of the lift shaft and cables are wrapped around it and go to the lift car and the counterweight.

To put the capstan in the car would have cables attached to the top of the shaft, wrap around capstan in the car, go through a pulley at top of shaft and then down to counter weight. This would reduce the amount of effort required to move the car.

http://www.otis.com/site/au/Pages/GeN2Mod.aspx

http://www.otis.com/site/au/OT_DL_Co..._9Enhancer.jpg
                          http://zagam.net/

Comment

Working...
                          X