Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quads living alone. What is your living arrangement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quads living alone. What is your living arrangement?

Do you live in your own home, apartment, condo? Looking at the things myself and wondering what others have been doing.

What r yours dude? Plans in the works or already at hand?. What's your $$ situation?
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

Comment

have my own home lucky it had a rollin shower when I bought ripped out all carpet concrete floors cut floorboard at sink so I could roll under it I cook crockpot and on stove but use a toaster oven to bake

Comment

My son has his own home. Stained concrete floors throughout. Roll in shower. He mostly uses a microwave, but can also cook simple things, but prefers to eat out, use microwave, or housemates will cook.

Comment

I have a house but I would rather have an apartment or condo. The upkeep, just my opinion, isn't worth having a house.

Comment

I'm currently living with my dad since I was injured eight years ago. A lot of people donated a lot of money and materials to build an additional "suite" Complete with roll in shower. My dad is getting older and he wants to sell this house and get into something smaller. It's got a lot of grass to mow. Currently I have in-home care 12 hours a day. I don't call on my father to do anything after they leave. I make sure I'm all set up before their shifts end. I have little use of my arms and my hands have no function. I can use my laptop or a tablet pretty well. I have a number of ways I can use a telephone… I like to have options! I guess that's what my Questions are… If you live alone, what kind of function Do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by CraigP View Post
              I'm currently living with my dad since I was injured eight years ago. A lot of people donated a lot of money and materials to build an additional "suite" Complete with roll in shower. My dad is getting older and he wants to sell this house and get into something smaller. It's got a lot of grass to mow. Currently I have in-home care 12 hours a day. I don't call on my father to do anything after they leave. I make sure I'm all set up before their shifts end. I have little use of my arms and my hands have no function. I can use my laptop or a tablet pretty well. I have a number of ways I can use a telephone… I like to have options! I guess that's what my Questions are… If you live alone, what kind of function Do you have?
              oh that would be different I am c6c7 and can pretty much dpo I lot u live around stockbrige mccdonough

Comment

Well what are u saving that donated $$ to do that or did u spend it on care?? Yea just a level or two functionally says/means a lot. Just wrist extensors like 5/6/7 means matter of utter near independence. Not fully I mean some dudes I've read manage sumhow every thing @ 5/6 level which I'm at too.
                If things are built/set suited to height & ease of access then lots can be accomplished dude. Good luck!!
                I am not your rolling wheels
                I am the highway
                I am not your carpet ride
                I am the sky
                I am not your blowing wind
                I am the lightning
                I am not your autumn moon
                I am the night, the night..

Comment

Oh ok! Well, my son is a c6/7. He has full use of his arms, wrists, and limited use of his hands. In spite of his hands, he Is pretty independent. His assistant helps him 1 1/2 to 2 hours every morning and the rest of the day and nite he is on his own. When he moved into his house, a couple of his guy friends moved in and that was helpful. It's been almost 7 years and roommates have come and gone. He now has a girlfriend and her sister living with him and this seems to be the best scenario. Craig, if you could possibly get your own place and get a housemate (he/she could help you in exchange for cheaper rent), it might be a good set up. I hope it works out for you.

Comment

I've considered the roommate situation and that would be ideal.

Comment

I am not a quad, but have a L 4/5 SCI and a upper motor neuron defect, and I live by myself. I do have 2 caregivers 7 days a week. One works in the morning to help me get dressed, do medicine through my feeding tube, and a shower. The evening one helps me with dinner, getting ready for bed, and evening medicine. Both caregivers do daily housekeeping such as sweeping, dishes, moping, vacuuming, and cleaning the cat litter box.

Comment

More Between McDonough/Hampton.

Comment

I would prefer to live in a condo to avoid the expense of upkeep on a home. The trouble is all of the condos close to me are in Metro Atlanta. I have no friends or family that direction. So I would be completely dependent on caregivers, which we all know can be less than reliable Even with the best of them. The area where I live now with my father is chock-full of Friends and family that could be at my door five minutes or less. My father wants me to go into an independent living facility so there would always be someone there to assist me when/if I needed it. If I speak about anything other than that he pretty much disregards it. I know he only wants the best for me so I don't hold it against him too much. This is so stressful!

Thanks for the feedback on everything. Please keep it coming!

Comment

My mom has a 1 acre property here in Scottsdale. After my grandparents both passed away they were able to sell the house near San Francisco and with that money they built a guesthouse for me that I lived in with a roll in shower, one bedroom and a huge living room/kitchen with wooden floors. I lived there for roughly 7 years. It was nice because if I ever had an emergency, I could call my family and get some help with the rest of the time I would get caregivers for 3.5 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night. I started having problems with caregivers not showing up, I've developed epilepsy and get seizures occasionally and my mom needed the money so I moved into a group home. I really miss living alone although I didn't have a lot of friends. Here in the group home, most of the guys here have brain injuries and I think I'm the only one active in getting out of the house to hang out with other gimps. Before I moved into the guesthouse, I had an apartment but it got too expensive. I guess I lived alone for roughly 8 years or I can tape mostly alone. Good luck with it. I'm going to start looking for a place that has a roll in shower that I can afford to move into. Hope this helps. I've been here now for 3 years and it's still kind of weird
                            C-5/6, 7-9-2000
                            Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Comment

Originally posted by rybread View Post
                              My mom has a 1 acre property here in Scottsdale. After my grandparents both passed away they were able to sell the house near San Francisco and with that money they built a guesthouse for me that I lived in with a roll in shower, one bedroom and a huge living room/kitchen with wooden floors. I lived there for roughly 7 years. It was nice because if I ever had an emergency, I could call my family and get some help with the rest of the time I would get caregivers for 3.5 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night. I started having problems with caregivers not showing up, I've developed epilepsy and get seizures occasionally and my mom needed the money so I moved into a group home. I really miss living alone although I didn't have a lot of friends. Here in the group home, most of the guys here have brain injuries and I think I'm the only one active in getting out of the house to hang out with other gimps. Before I moved into the guesthouse, I had an apartment but it got too expensive. I guess I lived alone for roughly 8 years or I can tape mostly alone. Good luck with it. I'm going to start looking for a place that has a roll in shower that I can afford to move into. Hope this helps. I've been here now for 3 years and it's still kind of weird
                              Rybread, this outfit ASI does a lot of good work in creating accessible affordable housing. This is what they have available in in AZ : http://www.accessiblespace.org/arizo...ssible-housing

Comment

Working...
                              X