Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything you know about home elevators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything you know about home elevators?

We are going to be buying a multi-story home (either 2 stories with a walk out basement or one story with a walk out basement) and are going to need something for an elevator. At first I wanted the pneumatic one but its 60-70k. Im wondering other options we might have.

I would love to know anything and everything you all know about elevators and home lifts?
    - Moody

We are going with a symmetry in gear elevator. Price for everything including installation is $21000. I felt it was a very good price...but it is new construction so installation is much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by tarantella View Post
      We are going with a symmetry in gear elevator. Price for everything including installation is $21000. I felt it was a very good price...but it is new construction so installation is much easier.
      now that is a much better price!
      - Moody

Comment

I have a 3-story elevator from Residential Elevators (REI). It cost about $40k when installed in our preexisting home four years ago. Ours included some nice optional upgrades, including oak paneled interior, ceramic tile floor and automatic smoked glass accordion door. Guests who have their own home elevators comment on how smooth and quiet ours is in operation. The elevator company is based in Florida. A local Texas home builder made the shaft (included in the $40k) to REI plans and then REI installed the elevator.

Their website is http://residentialelevators.com/

Comment

thanks! Do either of you have pros/cons about your elevators?
          - Moody

Comment

Sorry, I didn't look at any other brands.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	elevator.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	2658364

I picked this up for $1200. Instillation was a little extra!
              69yo male T12 complete since 1995
              NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                [ATTACH]56232[/ATTACH]

love that

Comment

[ATTACH]56232[/ATTACH]

This is awesome. Care to share more details on it? Or a few more pictures?

Comment

go here and back up a little:
                    /forum/showthread.php?177271-Home-Elevator&goto=newpost

PS: I recently scored an original advertisement from The Sedwich Elevator Co by Googling and finding it on EBay. All the time I've had this great thing, I never researched it.
                    Mine was manufactured in Poughkeepsie, right down the road from Franklin Roosevelt's place in Hyde Park, where he had a virtually identical model!
                    It was called an "invalid elevator".
                    Last edited by pfcs49; 01-31-2016, 09:23 PM.
                    NW NJ

Comment

Mine was manufactured in Poughkeepsie, right down the road from Franklin Roosevelt's place in Hyde Park, where he had a virtually identical model!
                      It was called an "invalid elevator".
                      Personally, if I'm going to ride in an elevator, I'd rather have a valid one.

That thing is so cool. I didn't realize it was human powered. I always figured there should be an easy way to operate an elevator with your arms. I'm perfectly capable of pulling myself up to the second floor with a few pulleys and a little mechanical advantage...
                      Last edited by funklab; 02-03-2016, 10:30 PM.

Comment

You don't need much "pull". The machine is counterbalanced with an adjustable stack of iron weights; when set up properly, very little effort is required.
                        NW NJ

Comment

You don't need much "pull". The machine is counterbalanced with an adjustable stack of iron weights; when set up properly, very little effort is required.
                          Is there a mechanical advantage to the pulley system? It seems like if it's perfectly balanced, you would still have to lift your weight. And what about going down? How does that work?
                          I love seeing that elevator. It is a true museum piece. Congratulations on owning and installing it.
                          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

You load the counterbalance stack so it's balanced to your weight (in my case, ~200lbs). With nothing in the cab, it has a 200lb impulse to fly through the ceiling!
                            But a device as ingenious as it is simple, that the torque of the roped shaft passes through, locks the shaft whenever the main shaft tries to accelerate the pulley shaft, locking the machine whenever it tries to run backwards (i.e: transmit torque to the rope shaft in either direction of rotation, up or down.)

There is about a 4/1 MA. About four feet of rope for each foot of elevation (pun very intentional)! This makes for plenty fast elevationing(?) when the machine is well balanced; 2 or 3 strong pulls accelerate that big rope-pulley and off you go, up or down. In fact, it it is CW'd so the cab runs heavy, it's actually slower going down because instead of coasting, the torque brake starts dragging as the heavy load tries to accelerate the rope pulley and drags the brake plates against the middle, stationary, plate.
                            Last edited by pfcs49; 02-04-2016, 10:57 PM.
                            NW NJ

Comment

Here's one that is similar. It's homemade, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdHkTUdGHp4

Comment

Working...
                              X