Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Side by Side refrigerators accessable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side-by-side works fine. Need to watch how far doors actually open and how far away you would be to counter. Other thing with side-by-side may not have anything stable to hold onto when dor is open. You can only move wc in so close. I would not suggest using door as something to maintain your stability.

Comment

I got a new fridge recently- the freezer on the bottom which is fantastic and the top has french doors. Everyone is right, the top shelf is pretty much inaccessible when you are sitting in a w/c. I solved that problem by getting a back scratcher to 'hook' what I want and pull it to the front. Works great!
      this is the one I bought:
      http://www.amazon.com/17-5-ThinkBamb...ratcher+bamboo
      sigpic

Comment

side by side for 16 years top is stocked by care giver bottom half what I can get if I need something I have list for her

Comment

I have the unit with the freezer at the bottom - a large drawer that pulls out. That part is totally reachable, with an upper bin in it that you can pull out to reach frozen stuff in the back. The top part of refrigerator is one door. We are both wheelers and he can reach the front of the top shelf for stuff he uses. I have placed a magnetic clip at the outside of the fridge right near the door handle, and made a reacher - a wooden dowel, about 30" long, with a good sized hook screwed into one end. I put a hole in the opposite end of the dowel and put a plastic cinch tie loop through it then store it over the magnetic clip. Use it daily to reach items on top or in the rear of the other shelves.

Comment

We have an older side by side. Works okay. can only reach about half way back on top shelf of the fridge and can't reach into the icemaker bin when it jams up--have to pull it out.

The newer side by sides and the ones with the double fridge doors and freezer drawer would be a nightmare. They are much deeper and , most of them, I would only be able to reach about half of the available space.

Comment

Originally posted by howjeffrolls View Post
              We have an older side by side. Works okay. can only reach about half way back on top shelf of the fridge and can't reach into the icemaker bin when it jams up--have to pull it out.

The newer side by sides and the ones with the double fridge doors and freezer drawer would be a nightmare. They are much deeper and , most of them, I would only be able to reach about half of the available space.
              I have a counter-depth 2 door, bottom freezer drawer refrigerator and it is so much easier to reach things inside the frig sections because of this reduced depth.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                I have a counter-depth 2 door, bottom freezer drawer refrigerator and it is so much easier to reach things inside the frig sections because of this reduced depth.

(KLD)
                I have a SubZero side by side, it is wider than more refrigerators but isn't as deep. Aside from the top shelf I can reach everything.

Comment

Working...
                X