Home made Ghetto elevator for Cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home made Ghetto elevator for Cheap

So, we have officially completed our means of getting my husband downstairs to the basement (pool table, man cave, etc.)... he is a C6/7

Cut a hole in the bedroom floor (cut through one joist and threw up a few boards for support), and put a "trap door " over it with hinges. Above it (on the bedroom ceiling) , we installed a wench (sp?) - $ 100 from Northern Tool.
    We were given a harness (like the ones for mountain climbing or working on telephone poles) - you can buy this for not much. We put the harness on him , attach the hook , lift him up , open the door, and lower him down the hole onto a chair

Although I was skeptical, it works really good, and he goes down there every day and is happy to have more space to move around in. Cost was very cheap compared to a "stair chair" ..
    I guess I just wanted to say that it can be done for a couple hundred bucks, provided that you own a home .

Originally posted by JacksonsGirl View Post
    So, we have officially completed our means of getting my husband downstairs to the basement (pool table, man cave, etc.)... he is a C6/7

Cut a hole in the bedroom floor (cut through one joist and threw up a few boards for support), and put a "trap door " over it with hinges. Above it (on the bedroom ceiling) , we installed a wench (sp?) - $ 100 from Northern Tool.
    We were given a harness (like the ones for mountain climbing or working on telephone poles) - you can buy this for not much. We put the harness on him , attach the hook , lift him up , open the door, and lower him down the hole onto a chair

Although I was skeptical, it works really good, and he goes down there every day and is happy to have more space to move around in. Cost was very cheap compared to a "stair chair" ..
    I guess I just wanted to say that it can be done for a couple hundred bucks, provided that you own a home .
    awesome, this is what this group is about. IDEAS! pics??
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Do you have a back up in case the winch fails, winches that carry people usually have safeties that slow rate of descent in case of failure. A backup could be a block and tackle that can be attached to the anchor points to release pressure on the failed winch so the winch can be detached and then used to lower your husband, otherwise you'll have to call the fire department or some strong neighbors.
      "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Comment

good idea though, not everyone can afford expensive equipment for home use.
        "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Comment

Hi,
          here's an idea.
          There's a piece of construction/ maintenance equipment. they are basically a telescoping platform and there's a few companies that make them. they are either manually operated with a hand crank or electrical. so, they're called either Man Lifts or material lifts. you'd need to modify them a bit, either add a platform to a material lift or remove and add a platform to a man lift.
          NOTE doing any of this is considered wrong on so many levels.
          - the base is about 8" to 10" deep, you'd need either a pit or little ramp
          (I went with a pit, new construction)
          - indoors or out doors, out doors protect from the weather.
          - with electric get a battery operated, ya know cuz sometimes power goes out
          - they can be bought used from any contractor equipment rental shop that supplies like equipment
          - to avoid getting myself in trouble i won't provide a picture or brand names but i might say, ummm, yup to someone elses.

Comment

to the op, most of us gimps have something similiar rigged up like this for something or other heck nm did an entire article on homemade home mods. who has 10-20k for an elevator. you guys did a great job. as trekker suggested, there are several "CHEAP" failsafes for emergencies.
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com
            c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
            sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Yes, we need a back up plan. If it fails I guess we could call someone (he's only 115 lbs but still) - I mostly worry that the screws or supports holding the wench could fail. Then what ? CRASH !! that would be so horrible. Thats why I was against the idea to begin, but he insisted It does work well.

Comment

I love your DIY attitude.
                You can get a second block and tackle for security easy enough.
                My two story house is on four levels, so that requires three lifts. I solved most of the problem by watching craigslist for stairlifts and got two of them there. One was 650 and the other was only 300 dollars. Both are the modern type, no cables, and use batteries. The last issue I have is getting into the garage, about a 24 inch drop. For that I am considering using a van lift as those can be had for as little as 300 dollars.
                I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonsGirl View Post
                  Above it (on the bedroom ceiling) , we installed a wench (sp?)
                  Ohh! I want a wench in my bedroom too!

Sorry couldn't resist. Sounds like you are a DIYer with some good skills.
                  Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Comment

I've always wanted to do something like this, but make it hand powered. A big rope and a couple pulleys to give a 3:1 mechanical advantage. Exercise every day!

Great job.

Comment

I thought about doing something like this, but never got up the nerve! Good job.
                      I did hang a hoist and trolley from Horrible Fright from an I-beam on the ceiling of my wife's bedroom, and used that, along with the spreader bar and sling from a Hoyer lift, to transfer her between bed and chair.

Comment

Best homemade elevator I have seen. Like others have said, make sure what your are doing is SAFE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdHkTUdGHp4
                        Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Comment

Great idea this, definitely get that tackle fixing nice and solid.

Hey maybe have some sort of shock safe base, like on a lift. You know some big old springs or something under a panel in the bottom floor. Might stretch expense though. Back up tackle a very good idea!
                          "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Comment

Working...
                          X