new house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by titanium4motion View Post
    Not only wheelchair accessible but gurney accessible too!

I put that in my design of my newly built home.

You never know when an accident, fall or an illness may happen and you need EMS to take you to the hospital.

Ti
    New one on me! I have had exactly one ambulance ride since entering rehab after waking up with a fever of 105F back in MD. The EMS had no prolems even with the hall turn of an older ranch but we had widened our master bedroom door and the front door was a double that one side could easily be unlocked at top and bottom. I can't see this as a big need in planning unless your area is very small or the gurney might be needed for a bariatric patient. I would think that any exit near the bedroom/s in case of fire should be able to handle a gurney or some EMS folks need to retake those very physical tests on a yearly basis.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about gurney's. They have carried me out of here in an ordinary chair before transferring me to the gurney. This was prior to falling and needing a wheelchair, but they were still concerned about my paralysis, see sig statement.
      Last edited by nonoise; 8 Jan 2013, 7:25 PM.
      I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Here's to finalize floorplan and rendered elevations. With any luck I will be breaking ground within three weeks.

Comment

Nice design. I like how you did the bath with the 3rd & 4th bdrms in the basement. Very efficient use of space. Wish I could get away with a pantry that small. The plan for our retirement home has a 7' x 16' pantry, and the wife is lobbying for more space.

One thing I would do would be to put a wall from the fireplace to the exterior wall in the basement creating more storage.
          Last edited by shakey56; 19 Jan 2013, 2:23 PM.

Comment

The kitchen footprint has not been finalized,that is the architects generic idea. I am three kitchen designers looking at that space. I know for sure that would be putting in a 4 foot entry that has 110% pullout shelves in the laundry/mud room and the other part of storage/pantry space will be located in the storage room in the basement I will also contain my gun safes and miscellaneous storage. The garage has actresses so there is a time of storage above the garage and I also build a lot of high shelves in the garage itself for storing items that I do not need a regular basis.

Comment

Beautiful home.

Comment

Pretty work Kirk!
                "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
                  Two things I remember from previous versions of CC. First, for attached garages make sure you get an exception to code for the one step down from the house that most jurisdictions require.
                  I can't find a picture of it, but in Finland I saw doors that just inside had a metal grate over a sump pit to catch the melting snow falling off boots and coats. Something like that next to the door but inside the garage would catch any spills that might happen in the garage. You might also spec the slope of the garage just a bit steeper than normal to make sure nothing comes into the house.
                  Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Comment

Originally posted by KSpell View Post
                    The kitchen footprint has not been finalized,...
                    I would definitely work on the fridge access if you use side by side or pullout lower freezer. Maybe angle it so you are approaching it from the center of the kitchen.

Do you really need the wall around the shower? You are limiting access for a hoyer lift and to one side of the toilet should you ever need a caregiver. I made that mistake years 10 ago. Then things changed and I need to do a BP for my wife. Much harder for me to do it from the left side being right handed. Next time the toilet will be accessible on both sides.

Comment

were surveying and pining the house today, and digging on Thurs. I'm officially in phase 2!

IsMaisin: I'm putting floor drains in the center of both car "stalls" to catch any run off & make cleaning the floor much easier. the floor will be sloped @ .25"/1' grade until 10' to the house and then level off leaving plenty of usable space for my work bench & tools.

MSspouse: the fridge access is more open than what I currently have; & I have no problems.

I specifically designed the shower for heat retension, & multiple showerhead placement. I use a shower camode chair so easy hoyer access isn't currently my priority.

Comment

plans finalized

I just received the final plans from the designer. we are also pouring the basement floor today, so I'm onto phase 3 (framing).

Comment

Working...
                        X