Able to Install a new Floor myself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Able to Install a new Floor myself?

I've been daydreaming about putting in a floating floor. My floors are painted plywood now.
    My injury is T7 complete.
    Something ($ etc.) drives me to consider doing stuff like this.
    Of course I'd need help doing it.
    Here's the floor--

http://www.forboflooringna.com/Resid...rmoleum-Click/
    Rich

I think you could.

Comment

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jody!
      I like having fans like you!
      Rich

Comment

Originally posted by pararich View Post
        I've been daydreaming about putting in a floating floor. My floors are painted plywood now.
        My injury is T7 complete.
        Something ($ etc.) drives me to consider doing stuff like this.
        Of course I'd need help doing it. And the right tools. I always look forward to projects that require new tools!!!
        Here's the floor--
        Looking forward to pictures of the finished project.

All the best,
        GJ

Comment

I'm rooting for you. (I would like to have a floating floor in my house, too, and have speculated whether my wife and I could do it).

It seems to me the difficulties are having to bend over so much to do the job and having difficulty "tip-toeing" around the work as you complete the job.

Keep us posted.
          TM 2004 T12 incomplete

Comment

Definitely, I'm sure you could do it.
            A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

My wife, 85 year old dad and myself have done about 1000ft of bamboo flooring in our place. It is time consuming but doing it ourselves saved a lot of money.

I'm t10 incomplete.
              Adaptive Sports Forums.com
              http://adaptivesportsforums.com
              Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Comment

It is not easy, I'm a T-4 complete and I've done it, it is hard because the wheelchair keeps getting in the way. You keep thinking, why can't I just stand on my legs and do this, it would be so much easier. Maybe you can hire a handyman type guy to do it fairly inexpensive, might be worth it to save yourself the frusteration. When I was younger I could do things like this more easily (still not easy though) now that I'm 54, forget it, not worth the frusteration and my body just does not like to bend the way it use to, it is a lot more stiff.
                "Life is about how you
                respond to not only the
                challenges you're dealt but
                the challenges you seek...If
                you have no goals, no
                mountains to climb, your
                soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

First thing you'll need is a Jay Protector. Bunch of tools. Book about how to do it from Lowes or Home Depot. Card board for patterns for curved parts. Patience.

Comment

Completing a challenge like that would certainly give a sense of satisfaction as well as save $. On the other hand I have done a few other projects that required a lot of floor activity. They were a real struggle. I am glad they could be completed in a couple of hours. Based on that experience I would prefer to supervise the job you described.
                    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Yup, Jay Protector.

My wife and I had a house built. The builder installed everything but places where there was to be carpeting--1350 sq ft of it. All the other areas were tile. I strapped on my Protector, and with a little help from my wife, put down floating engineered hardwood.

You think it might be hard laying that snap-together stuff? Ha! I put down the glue together kind. It took weeks--like a giant glue-together puzzle. I had glue everywhere--skin, cloths, hair, wads of arm hair stuck together. I even glued my ass to the floor a couple of times.

Get down on the floor with the tools you need and you can do it. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so cheap. It would have been a pleasure to use the click/snap flooring. (I see you want marmoleum.)

On a side note: I also installed some solid tongue and groove stuff in a 400+ sq ft family room using a porta-nailer, right from my wheelchair. I just used a couple of my kids to help--in rotation of course. The lazy little slugs couldn't keep up with me. (Just kidding about the "slug" part.)

Floors: You can do it. Just be patient, take your time, and rest every now and then
                      Last edited by ala; 15 Oct 2012, 4:22 PM. Reason: couple wrong words

Comment

I did my floor. ripped carpet and underlayment out and installed bamboo. I rolled around on my creeper sitting cross legged and pushed myself around.

Comment

I've also done flooring work. Some projects don't work for me to do from the chair. I did some floating flooring and needed to be on the floor. I used a blanket to sit/lay on to protect my skin.
                          Andrew

Comment

Thank you for all the ideas and encouragement.
                            The Jay Protector would help a lot.
                            I have an old creeper I can try.
                            Definitely encouraging to hear stories of doing difficult jobs yourself.
                            But, I also heard that it might be better to save myself the trouble and get someone else to do it!
                            Rich

Comment

Working...
                            X