No announcement yet.

So, do I need a new bathtub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, shortly after the lotion and sliding board idea, I had a vision of a slippery husband crashing to the floor No good, you're right. We have seen nothing of this kind of training , but he's having problems with low blood pressure every time he is up for awhile - its getting in the way of the rehabilitation at this point. Hope it works itself out soon !
    He is in Healthsouth rehabilitation hospital

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonsGirl View Post
      My husband is still in a rehabilitation hospital, and I'm trying to prepare for him to return home. My main concern right now is the Bathtub. We just have a standard tub/ shower, and I wonder if there will be a way for one person (me) to help him into it , or if I really have to change it to a standing shower type with no tub. He is currently completely immobile from torso down, but his arms are getting stronger every day. I don't even think a shower chair will FIT into our tub?
      Sorry that your husband was injured and now has a spinal cord injury. Is he a fellow Veteran? If so the closest VA SCI Center should be contacted. There are a lot of things that the VA will pay for ex: wheelchairs, cushions, electric beds, low air loss/alternating pressure mattress etc...
      Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 4 Aug 2012, 3:09 AM.

Comment

You can go to youtube and search for "para" or "quad" transferring and get a lot of ideas and examples.

Good luck.
        Millard
        ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Comment

No, RAFS, he isn't a veteran. I so appreciate the info and concern

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonsGirl View Post
            No, RAFS, he isn't a veteran. I so appreciate the info and concern
            Your welcome. Thank you for your nice reply. I was so hoping for a lot of reasons that your husband was a fellow Veteran. If he's able to ever return back to work he should make sure he calls the local State Vocational Rehabilitation Office for an appointment to see if he's eligible for any help and retraing through Voc Rehab.

Comment

I have used a hand towel on a wood sliding board to get in and out of the tub. Buy a tranSfer bench like this http://www.sportaid.com/guardian-pad...e-opening.html and a transfer board. Just lean him over, slide the board under his thigh/butt, put the towel under him on top of the board and away you go. Be careful as you can slide off the board, but it does work for not a lot of money.

Comment

Yeah, the towel sounds more safe than the lotion And the $149 bucks is a lot more like it

Comment

Working...
                X