No announcement yet.

Denver apartment

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Denver apartment

    I was able to find a 2 bedroom "accessible" unit in the downtown area. I was able to get the leasing company to send me detailed photos of the bathrooms and it looks like I may need to make some changes. Specifically the removal of the vanity and sink to both make room for my commode chair (which I prefer to keep the extension on) and to make the sink one that I could roll under.

    I am willing to pay for these changes myself, I just wonder if there are any road blocks I need to know about or if it is even within my rights to make these modifications. If there is no way of knowing unless I speak with property management I understand. I am just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and would like to offer up some advice.


    Fair Housing Act

    I am pretty sure you request would come under the Fair Housing Act. Basically landlord should allow you to make modifications but can require you to put money in an escrow account and return apartment to original condition if they ( landlord) choose to.

    I don't like the language on this site but I think it describes the provisions accurately:

    "Does a landlord have to allow a handicapped person to make modifications to a rental unit?

    Yes. A landlord must allow a handicapped person to make reasonable modifications to the existing premises as necessary for the full enjoyment of the premises, such as widening doorways, installing handrails, and installing wheelchair ramps. However, the handicapped person is responsible for the cost of the modifications. A landlord may condition permission to make modifications on the tenant's agreeing to restore the interior of the premises to the original condition if the modifications made by the handicapped tenant would interfere with the next tenant's reasonable use and enjoyment of the property. The landlord may also withhold permission until seeing a description of the proposed modifications which provides reasonable assurance that the modifications will be done in a workmanlike manner. [Note: All multifamily dwellings covered by the fair housing laws and ready for first occupancy after March 13, 1991, have to be designed and constructed so that few, if any, modifications will be necessary.]

    Can a landlord charge a higher security deposit to a handicapped person who makes modifications to a rental unit?

    No. However, if the nature of the modifications is such as would interfere with the next tenant's use and enjoyment of the property, and correction of the modifications would be especially costly, the landlord may, as part of a restoration agreement between the landlord and tenant, require the tenant to pay into an interest-bearing escrow account a reasonable amount to cover restoration costs. The tenant would be entitled to any interest which accrues on the escrow account.