I received my pool quote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all. Great responses!
    I agree that it is not for the investment, it is for the quality of life. I lived in TX before and we had a backyard with nothing with grass and a big fire ant hill...We never went out. We built a pool, flagstone decking, some trees...And we basically lived there. It was like expanding the home with one huge new room that we all enjoyed. We exercised every day by swimming, etc etc. Then when we had to sell, we did not recover every penny, but the house sold immediately where similar homes went unsold for more than one year, and had to dramatically reduce their prices.
    For my current home, it also has a fantastic pool and yard/landscaspe. I put it for rent and it rented immediately, and again it was because of the backyard/pool.
    I believe this lady quoted me like that due to the MD factor. Well, I just told her I did not go into this trade for money and I DONT have money. I do have a decent salary, but it covers my and my family's expenses and I give away what little remains...I have no savings. And I told her it would be absurd for me to dish 139K on a home that is worth a bit over 200K!!!!
    I am looking at other companies now.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
      Above ground pool with a deck and ramp would be a heck of a lot less. I had one and it worked out pretty good. Being a para it did not matter that it was only 4 feet deep and at 32 x 16 it was plenty big enough.

Heck you could do something like this for not too much money and use trex synthetic wood so thee would be no maintenance. This looks beautiful.
      Is this your pool Court? I am ready to dive right now!

Comment

Originally posted by 24/7 Quad View Post
        That must be a very, very nice pool they are quoting. The smartest way to purchase a pool is to buy a house with it already installed. Let the other owner take the hit. You will never get your money back and it will bother you when you realize the only one using it is the dog. With that being said, if it is properly built and has a salt chlorinator, maintenance is minimal. Its good therapy and nice to sit around at night. I floated around for several hours yesterday and it was very relaxing.
        Ahhhh what crystal clear water...
        I agree it is cheaper to buy the home with a pool, you can then upgrade the coping, deck, plants, etc...But in my case I bought a modest home under construction so renovations for accessibility would be cheaper and fit my needs. I got quoted 30K to redo all doors, eliminate steps, re do baths and showers, kitchen etc etc. The end result will be a completely new and accessible home for a decent price. I now have to add the pool for exercise and because my kids/friends/hubby and even my dogs really enjoy it!

Comment

Originally posted by BJH View Post
          Holy crap!! What part of Texas? I own a landscaping company in AZ. I'll bring my crew over and do it for half that price! That seems very high to me, get another quote. Any chance you have any drawings you could post up of what you plan to do?

Bryce
          Just a 20 x 38 pool (free form vs rectangular), stamped concrete, and then landscaping with 2-3 queen palms, 1-2 sabal palms, some sagos, then perennials, flowers, oleanders, etc. A medium sized rectangular backyard.
          She also quoted me 8K for irrigation

Comment

Originally posted by gpbullock View Post
            Why not try an endless pool? I think they start at 20k but may qualify as rehab/medical equipment for tax purposes.
            My kids like big pools with a slide!

Comment

CareCure Community members

Originally posted by muskie View Post
              This maybe true, but having something that gives you, your children and your grandchildren joy for the last 5 years is a price I was willing to pay even if we never recover a cent from the investment. Plus I don't plan on going anywhere for the rest of this life.
              Please don't try to convince me that a pool is a good investment. You forgot to mention the increase cost in homeowner's insurance and you have to have the pool enclosed or a fence around it.

You try to convince the CareCure Community members who broke their necks diving into a pool and what joy did they get sustaining a cervical spinal cord injury which they will live with rest of their life?

Ti
              "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

Originally posted by Cripply View Post
                Just a 20 x 38 pool (free form vs rectangular), stamped concrete, and then landscaping with 2-3 queen palms, 1-2 sabal palms, some sagos, then perennials, flowers, oleanders, etc. A medium sized rectangular backyard.

I'm glad you are looking at other companies. Those prices are just to high. We put in backyard landscape like you listed a couple of times a month and do the whole yard (irrigation, plants, trees, rock, grass, curbing) for 7-12k. 8k for irrigation is crazy. If I could charge those prices I could have a Lamborghini with hand controls. :-) If you would like I can look at any other quotes you get and let you know what I think about the price. I do this for a living and would be happy to give you my opinion on them. Here is a basic one we did a few months ago. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/59690229/2.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by titanium4motion View Post
                  Please don't try to convince me that a pool is a good investment. You forgot to mention the increase cost in homeowner's insurance and you have to have the pool enclosed or a fence around it.

You try to convince the CareCure Community members who broke their necks diving into a pool and what joy did they get sustaining a cervical spinal cord injury which they will live with rest of their life?

Ti
                  I won't try to convince you a pool is a good investment. I think you are missing the point of muskies comment. It isn't all about making money on putting in a pool. Its the joy of having it in your yard, ease of not having to get in the car to go somewhere to go swimming, having friends and family come over for a good time around the pool, pools can be beautiful and great to look at. Sure there are extra costs with a pool, but here in AZ IMO they are worth it. I wouldn't put in a pool in a cold area.

As for investment, I have rental houses and can easily rent them for more with a pool. My insurance only goes up 200 a year for a pool. I have no problem getting that back with the higher rent. I make much more money on my rentals with pools than without, and when I go to sell them they are worth more than the house next door with no pool.

A full roll in shower room is not a good investment, but we do them because they make our lives easier. At best you might get all your money back when you sell the house, but probably not, and it limits your market.

I love my pool. I hope to never have another house without one. I have paid more for every house I have bought here with a pool and sold them for more than my neighbors that don't have pools.

Bryce

PS C5 sustained from diving into a pool 17 years ago.

Comment

Pools don't necessarily need to be enclosed by a pool fence inside a back garden fence. We have an electric/retractable/key operated pool cover and don't have to have extra pool fencing. Our home owners insurance is no different that similar homes in the neighborhood that don't have pools.

Our local water company did a study a few years ago and found that a 25,000 gallon pool conserved more water than a 20' x 40' patch of grass, and even with costs to run the filter and chemicals (which are negligible in a covered pool) the pool costs less than watering a similar patch of grass and landscaping.

I don't care to swim. Even heating the pool with our solar panels to 90° is still too cool for me and NL likes the pool at about 82°. In one of our former homes, I would get into the spa at 95°-100°, but it was always quite an exercise, getting me ready, getting me in, getting me out... and I would get so cold in between. I get great pleasure out of NL's enjoyment of the pool (in her teens, she used to swim competitively) and watching her, she is poetry in motion when she swims.

We are second owners of the house, and the pool is about 25 years old. This fall, it will need to be drained and resurfaced. Not looking forward to paying that due, but it needs to be done.

All the best,
                    GJ
                    Last edited by gjnl; 3 Jun 2012, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Okay, got revised quotes for 76,000, still too much as it does not include spa, heater or any fancy finishes...

Comment

Pools are poor investments for a home owner with poor return on your investment when you want to sell.

Ti

maybe where you live...but here in south florida where we can swim all year, it makes a difference...
                        - Rolling Thru Life -

Comment

Originally posted by Cripply View Post
                          try getting quotes from seperate co's....pool co. to just do pool....landscape co-for trees...concrete co, for patio.....sprinkler co...

my home had a pool, but i needed to redo ..i paid 2k to have redone with diamondbrite/tiles around top and new coping ...2k for shadowbox fence....4k brick pavers patio (both fence and bricks went all the way up to front of house on one side of house for path/gate to back)..1k.landscape(had lots of bushes/trees..had em gut it all but 4 palm trees...went to landscape supply, bought river rock/stones,had delivered,dumped in driveway..then went to local day labor place...got a guy for $50 to wheelbarrow it all into back and spread around exterior between patio and fence......for 10k i have an entirely new back yard...each part was done by different co's..
                          Last edited by roc21; 10 Jun 2012, 5:58 AM.
                          - Rolling Thru Life -

Comment

Ti
                            someone sounds bitter about something...easy convince =a pool after sci is great if not for exercise, just to hang on noodles in deep end and let your body decompress from the constant sitting..
                            and y hate a pool because of a stupid,yea i said it, stupid thing that someone did by diving head first into shallow water at a bad angle...it wasnt the pools fault
                            - Rolling Thru Life -

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                              Pools don't necessarily need to be enclosed by a pool fence inside a back garden fence. GJ
                              That depends on where you live. When we lived in LA County (CA) the law required a locking gate fence to be installed around all pools. I am sure it helped prevent some drownings. I personally have had several friends who lost children to drowning when the pool was right outside the back door with no safety gate. A locking child-proof pool cover is an option sometimes, but it depends on the laws in the area where you live.

KLD
                              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by roc21 View Post
                                try getting quotes from seperate co's....pool co. to just do pool....landscape co-for trees...concrete co, for patio.....sprinkler co...

my home had a pool, but i needed to redo ..i paid 2k to have redone with diamondbrite/tiles around top and new coping ...2k for shadowbox fence....4k brick pavers patio (both fence and bricks went all the way up to front of house on one side of house for path/gate to back)..1k.landscape(had lots of bushes/trees..had em gut it all but 4 palm trees...went to landscape supply, bought river rock/stones,had delivered,dumped in driveway..then went to local day labor place...got a guy for $50 to wheelbarrow it all into back and spread around exterior between patio and fence......for 10k i have an entirely new back yard...each part was done by different co's..
                                This is what I used to do pre-injury. I made home renovations at the most ridiculous prices and ended up with luxury finishes that sold/rented the homes the moment they hit the market. I shopped for second hand materials, cement...I hired different people and did many things myself. But now I am just in such poor shape.

Comment

Working...
                                X