No announcement yet.

So what does an architect usually cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why not look for a ranch style slab design and just modify it? theres plenty of those

Comment

Thanks for the tips, so I'll be thinking a basement of some sort. Heck, a steep ramp going there might work instead of stairs/tracklift...just add a rope, lol. I'm not looking for a giant farm, just maybe a couple acres where I can grow a nice grass field on it and maybe surround the property line with evergreens to delineate it. A modified existing structure might work also...probably be cheaper too.

I dont think a lift for the tub would be overly needed, IIRC just keeping the tub full for boyancy and going up a corner worked well.

Ideally I'd love the property to be ajacent to a good size hill too...would be awesome to have a nice backstop on-site for another old hobby .

Comment

I think a steep ramp of poured concrete would cost you more because of the rods to reinforce the concrete and you'd need a rail on the open side. The pan lifts I've seen have only been used for basements. They look rather easy to install and are very easy to use plus I'd bet one would be much cheaper overall. They also flip out of the way so it doesn't look 'gimpy' which is a biggy for me.

If you really can handle a real hot tub then I'd plan in or renovate one into a glass sided 4 season room. You can make it private with those remote controlled Hunter Douglas blinds. ;-)

LOL I'm not about to guess your hobbies. But if one includes growing certain plants the counties up here seem to have added detecting those plots into their county park ranger jobs. They call in the back up from their sheriff when they find one. Your own private target range is normally ok as long as you're a certain amount of yards out of an incorporated town or city. If you're into shooting feel free to invite me over. Well, after my radial nerve heals. The Madison Area Paralysis Group actually has some fun stuff you can try out with them from shooting, pontoons, the local concert venues and it seems some are young enough to camp on the ground. I'm up to cabins with beds and room service.
        Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

How about finding a lot where you could have a walkout basement? They are very popular here in New England.Just a thought.

Thanks for the tips, so I'll be thinking a basement of some sort. Heck, a steep ramp going there might work instead of stairs/tracklift...just add a rope, lol. I'm not looking for a giant farm, just maybe a couple acres where I can grow a nice grass field on it and maybe surround the property line with evergreens to delineate it. A modified existing structure might work also...probably be cheaper too.

I dont think a lift for the tub would be overly needed, IIRC just keeping the tub full for boyancy and going up a corner worked well.

Ideally I'd love the property to be ajacent to a good size hill too...would be awesome to have a nice backstop on-site for another old hobby .
          Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!

Comment

Hey, that is a good idea! Didnt think of that (things are real flat around here, but I hope to escape sometime, lol)

Comment

Damn Flatlanders! Move north where the state isn't about to go down the budgetery toilet hole. Yes, a walkout would be great because you just need one well enforced room for safety. If two walls are already concreate the biggest expense is an above norm door frame and door. I plan on rolling outside and into the garage which is below ground level and has some very thick concrete walls because we're up a gentle slope from the water. We have an elevator but it does die with the electricity while once you know how the automatic garage door can be easily gotten around and opened. We get more thunderstorms and snow then tornados though. They do seem to be lighter weight ones by the time they get this far north anyway.

As others have pointed out do not depend on an architect or even the builder to not drop back to ADA guidelines if they have questions. I'd start a cork board of pictures of items or idea rooms that you like and a list of things you want, need and do plan on aging in place. And start the idea of a budget in your head.
              Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

http://universaldesignonline.com/samplehomeplans.html

I will be looking to get a barrier free home soon. I know it will be awhile, as I will be fighting with my insurance to cover the cost but I found this site. I ordered the book. I figure it gives great floor plans and lists all the reasons as to why things need to be the way they are. I figure I can get a good I idea of what I want and be able to go to a local contractor and show them the floor plans. Also it lists all the businesses/manufactures that provide the materials for the Barrier free home. I am excited to get this book and start looking through it.

Comment

BP Drafting on Facebook

You can goto Facebook and check out some of my work. I'm a Draftsman. I design my house and many others. I can print full size sheets and email PDF files you can take and print yourself. Check out BP Drafting. I use Envisioneer 7.2 it's a 3D build program.

Comment

When we had to remodel our home after my husbands accident we found a company that specializes in universal design. Here is a link to their website picturing the outside of my home. I am not sure what sure what the consultation charges are but I think they were well worth it and would hire them to build us another home if needed.

http://inclusionbydesign.us/project/32
                    Angela
                    www.patsprogress.org

Comment

Originally posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
                      ... the automatic garage door can be easily gotten around and opened...
                      Openers with battery backup are available for around $200 these days.

Comment

Just wanna say that the book i got is amazing. A ton of floor plans from under 1000 square feet to over 3000 square feet. Tons of options. Plans range from $300 to around $1600 or so. Definately worth the buy for $25. Has a ton of information in it.
                        http://universaldesignonline.com/samplehomeplans.html

Comment

I think it all depends on the type of work he or she will do

Comment

Working...
                          X