Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schluter-KERDI-DRAIN

Ti

IMAGE CREDIT: http://www.schluter.com/8_2_kerdi_drain.aspx, Schluter-KERDI-DRAIN, 2012.
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

Watch out!

Originally posted by ToastGuard View Post
      To give an update. After we appealed the appraisal, the number came back to still $9000 less than the sale price, requiring us to pay the difference at closing directly to the builder. Next step will be seeing if the builder will lower their price to match the assessment. We'll see what happens....
      Your builder will probably come down $9k just to get you to sign the contract. When construction starts he may find$15k of cost increases or "The city code requires ..." causing a $1500 increase which you'll have to pay at the end.

Also, during construction you or your wife my want a wood paneled ceiling and it my cost $2k in lumber but $4k in labor. So be careful on up charges and keep a spreadsheet of them.

Also keep a spreadsheet for everything you pay out of pocket. At the point of purchase as for two receipts. One for you and the other for the contractor. This helps at the final closing. Cross your fingers and pray you have a reputable builder that is honest and fair.

My builder upfront told me he's want to make a 10% profit off the sale. Because of the poor slow economy midway during the construction he told me he was only going to charge 5% profit. At the final closing he told and showed me he only charged 3% profit.

One last note, I don't know what you are putting down for a floor in your rooms. I internet shopped. We had a $3.50 per square feet allowance and we found granite at or below $3.50 per square feet at Stone Tile Depot including the shipping charges.

http://www.stonetiledepot.com/

We were going to go with a solid surface counter tops like Corian
      ® or Meganite® but they wanted $80 a square foot. I found granite at $49 square foot from Quarry Granite.

http://www.quarrygranite.com

I hope everything turns out good for you.

Ti
      "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

Originally posted by titanium4motion View Post
        Schulter systems. Get a Schulter KERDI-drain install. Very beautiful and elagant.

http://www.schluter.com/

Ti
        I wish we had. This may change by next week. The entire floor of the very large shower is a solid piece of cultured marble with a roughed surface to prevent slipping. This was meant to drain into a linear drain. Unfortunantly while we were out of touch over our anniversary the tiler and plumber found they could not go down far enough for the trench drain without hitting the radient heating. So we have a basic forward circular drain that cannot handle the water when I use the handheld shower. The water begins to flow under the glass within 2 minutes of turning the water on. The rain forest upper shower doesn't cause leaking as it flows slower but it doesn't help me just my spouse. I can't fault the workmen as when we had the ceiling track lift put in the estimate was based on the original blueprints. Once the ceiling was opened we weren't 24" off center but 40". The folks from Acess Elevator were great at coordinating with our general contractor to open two more egress points to add more stabilizing joists between the metal ones up there. Once the ceiling was closed the plaster/paint crew did a marvelous job of making every line completely disappear. So, next week the glass door people will be back to add a higher clear silicone inside lip and also add more sealant to the solid side of the glass. I'll add the link to the designer/general contractor because she used this project at a NARI Show. She is local to the Madison, WI area and this is just for ideas. Almost everything in the new bath is American made except the tiles that we really love! They feel and look like stone but are porcelan for ease of cleaning.

http://www.dcinteriorsllc.com/portfo...ages/port6.png Our bath is the 3rd photo under portfolio under photos and numbers 4 and 5 under Kitchens and Baths. Yes, it was staged and the bamboo is a much closer color match to the cherry door in real life.
        Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Originally posted by ToastGuard View Post
          Thanks for all the input!
          would be on one floor in case of emergencies.

brucec, the appraisal in Maryland is based on what they call "comparable homes." They look for homes similar to yours in your neighborhood and average their sale price and call that the value of your home. The problem is there are no homes even slightly similar to the house we were trying to build.

Thank again everyone for the help!
          thats how the "city" appraisals houses here for your annual house value, but the value is usually about 20% higher anyways, the city does not even come out to your house.
          but with a mortgage loan, etc you can always procure your own appriasal, about 600 bucks
          We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
          Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by brucec View Post
            thats how the "city" appraisals houses here for your annual house value, but the value is usually about 20% higher anyways, the city does not even come out to your house.
            but with a mortgage loan, etc you can always procure your own appriasal, about 600 bucks
            Bruce has a good point. When a neighbor of ours wanted a home equity loan the appraisal wasn't what he needed. He appealed because no homes had sold in our area in 3 years and there had been no appraiser sent out. A few days after his appeal went in our house was used as a base. That was in Howard County, MD. Also check the appraised value of the land. It is seperate out here in Wisconsin because taxes for the same house, same acreage across the street from each other can be very different if one has lake frontage. In MD I think sidewalks can effect your appraisal.
            Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Originally posted by brucec View Post
              must be different down in north carolina, my appraiser asked what I was looking for and I told him the price and thats what it came out to
              I can assure you that is not the norm anymore. Maybe back in 2004 perhaps to 2006 in some areas. But, most lenders now require the full appraisal plus that appraisal to be reviewed by others to ascertain the validity of the dollar figure and comparable properties used from my experience. (not just Florida, I own a home just outside of DC also)
              Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Working...
              X