No announcement yet.

Are there any retrofit assistance programs in Texas?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Are there any retrofit assistance programs in Texas?

    Does anyone know of any state run or other programs that provide assistance for modifications to a newly purchased home?

    I don't live in Texas so I can't speak about specific programs, but here are some ideas to consider.

    Contact your local independent living center and ask about programs to help with home modifications.

    Consider State and Federal tax credits and deductions

    Funds for modification are also available through civic and government organizations as well as state and local housing authorities, Easter Seals, local police and fire benevolent societies, etc.

    Consolidated Plan Funds. Funding controlled by the Consolidated Plan, specifically CDBGs and HOME, is a valuable resource for covering the cost of making accessibility modifications.

    State Housing Finance Agency Programs (HFA). These are authorized by the federal government to sell tax-exempt bonds for a variety of public purposes. In some states HFAs use this ability to provide low-interest-rate loans to make accessibility modifications. Since, as with other resources, the funding is limited, it is important to learn how the Housing Finance Agency in your state makes these programs available.

    Medicaid Home and Community-based Waivers. In many states you can use these funds to pay for accessibility modifications.

    The Department of Veterans Affairs programs. VA has many programs that provide grants to veterans with disabilities who need to make modifications to their homes. Contact the VA office in your area.

    Vocational Rehabilitation Programs. Your state vocational rehab department may provide accessibility-modification assistance. These funds usually pay for actual modifications rather than reimbursing tenants.

    6. HUD’s Title I and Section 203K program. This provides funding to homeowners through local lenders to rehabilitate existing homes or purchase and modify new ones.

    USDA’s Rural Community Development (formerly the Farmers Home Administration). This program offers various grants and loans for low-income people living in rural communities, particularly homeowners with disabilities needing modifications to their homes.

    All the best,


      Awesome reply, thanks a lot!!


        Contact DARS (Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services) if you have not already. They helped us with some house mods and also with the WC adaptive van. They are most helpful if you're trying to go back to work and go through their Vocational Rehab program. If you just want help to sit around the house more comfortably, they tend to not be so responsive.

        I don't know where you are, but in Austin, DARS has a Technology Resource office (at 4900 Lamar) with a couple of very helpful techies who find, buy and test assistive devices. They have a room full of neat toys you can borrow for trial. Then the office will help you get what works.


          Do you live in the Dallas area? There are a few organizations that help but you have to live right in the Dallas metroplex.


            In August 2011, the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs released $4 million in funding through its Texas Housing Trust Fund (HTF) for the Amy Young Barrier Removal Program.

            The Amy Young Program provides one-time grants of up to $20,000 to Persons with Disabilities, whose household income does not exceed 80% of the Area Median Family Income (as defined in the NOFA), for home modifications necessary for accessibility and the elimination of hazardous conditions. Program beneficiaries may be tenants or homeowners and their household members with disabilities.

            Eligible Administrators include units of local government, nonprofit organizations and public agencies. Local administrators may apply to reserve funds through the Department’s Reservation System.

            The Department began accepting applications to access the Reservation System starting on August 12, 2011 and will grant access on an ongoing basis until all Program funds are reserved, or until August 31, 2012, whichever occurs first.