Ramp Surface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NW-Will View Post
    My friend built me a ramp out of some galvanized steel decking material, it was supposed to be temporary, but it is the best wheelchair decking for making a ramp out of, and is kind of permanent now as it works so well. I'll have to get some pictures.
    Yeah, I'd appreciate that, I had already considered welding together a metal substructure for the ramp, but still have wooden surface and railings etc as it would match the decor better, but I'd still be interested in seeing decking. Might inspire some other ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
      Composite deck materials like Trex and Timbertech have a "wood grain"for slip resistance and they are mold and mildew resistant, no/low maintenance, and highly durable. These materials are used in national park and marina applications. My outdoor ramp in our back garden is Trex (Picture of my back garden deck attached below and a closeup of the surface).

Picture of Wheelchair Ramp about 2/3 down the page:
      http://www.woodwiseconstruction.com/ramps.html

Drawings and instructions for a wheelchair ramp using Trex:
      http://www.lowes.com/cd_Build+a+Whee...mp_1284487683_

Plans and specifications:
      www.ncsu.edu/ncsu/design/cud/pubs_p/.../rampbooklet296final.pdf

More project pictures (scroll down about half the page):
      http://www.pgbuildersandpotomacservi...dex.php?p=1_15
      That is a dangerous ramp!

You tumble off that ramp and you will break bones! Where's the hand railing?

That ramp is not to code or has been inspected the the building inspector.

Ti
      "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

Originally posted by titanium4motion View Post
        That is a dangerous ramp!

You tumble off that ramp and you will break bones! Where's the hand railing?

That ramp is not to code or has been inspected the the building inspector.

Ti
        Yes, there are no hand rails, I couldn't use them anyway, and if I was that out of control the hand rails would garrote me in the throat. The bumpers are high enough to stop my chair from going over. I don't take the ramp at reckless speeds. The ramp is 1:12 (in my power chair I don't really need that ratio, but it is there) and has a flat resting space, mid span (I don't really need that in my power chair either). This is a ramp in my personal residence and does not have to meet ADA or commercial code. It is not the primary ramp I use for access to my house. This ramp is in my back garden. Yes, a building inspector has seen it, but since this is a single family residence there is no enforceable requirements. It is my prerogative to build what I feel best suits my needs and standards. If I sell the house the ramp can be removed easily without detriment to the deck, which by code does not need hand railing either because it is not connected to the house and is less than three feet high. 99.9% of the people who will buy this house will not want or need the ramp.

I posted the picture of the ramp not as a suggested design for anyone to emulate, but to give the original poster an idea of what Trek looks like in a ramp application.

All the best,
        GJ
        Last edited by gjnl; 23 Jan 2012, 4:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X