No announcement yet.

Home Heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have radiant floor heat built into the concrete floor slab [I live in the mountain desert-- most people have patio [cement floor housing = No basement or crawl space]. I have a forced air cooling system called a Swamp Cooler [it pumps humidity into the air] which rarely cools the house down once the outside temperature goes above 80'. I keep my thermostat set at 72' from Oct - May.

The plus for floor radiant heat is that heated air rises, being in a wheelchair I find this somewhat helpful. It can also be laid out in zones with a different thermostat for each zone. It does not decrease the dust.

Radiant heat requires skilled technichians. The company who installed my unit were not skilled. It created many problems. Example: my home has three heating zones and they only installed 2 thermostats. Later when they installed the 3rd thermostat they placed it wrong--it was placed in an already thermostatted zone.

My home has cathedral ceilings in each room, which means the heated or cooled air has to travel farther to get to wheelchair level. I am not sure if I made the right choice cost wise as I bought the house brand new.

Comment

I'm spinning my wheels. :0~

Comment

Alright made a decision. May not be a great one, but I'm running out of time.
        Decided to go with the forced air furnace for this winter, then this spring give geo thermal a whirl. Still have alot of research to do but will be warm this winter. Anyone have a tempstar furnace, any problems. I've read that United technologies is the parent company for Carrier and Tempstar, and they say they are similar.

Comment

As a helpful comment to those who may not understand the context within which the HVAC efficiency numbers are being referenced in this topic, references similar to:

"... HP is relatively affordable and doesn't drop below 100% efficiency ..."

do not mean that; for this example, 1 kW of energy supplied via the utility company to the HVAC system subsequently results in 1 kW of heat (or "cooling" in the opposite case).

Comment

a 2 stage blower will really help the power/gas bills

Comment

We had a heat pump with back up electric the first time we lived in Maryland and I never felt warm and that was when I was still able bodied. The minute the electric back up kicked in our energy bill sky rocketed. I grew up in Wisconsin and we're moving back next month. We've had forced air, natural gas, here and like the home I grew up in it's lower cost and feels warm, ok, as warm as a gimp feels. The new place in Wisconsin is radiant floor heat with 4 zones. It is a 10 year old condo and we tested the zone controls. Works great. The original architect has since switched to single family upscale homes that are all geothermal. We also replaced the water heater, at the end of its run as it was original, with a hot water on demand system. We also lose the electric that was heating the tank and switched the new tankless to gas. I plan on finally plan on being warm and not go broke in the process. BTW, we have the Pella windows with the enclosed shades inside the glass in 2 bedrooms here and do make sure you understand how to get them strung so they do not tangle on the inside when adjusting. Overall I love Pella. Both of our sliding glass with screens are Pella and they keep the cold out and excess noise.
              Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Working...
              X