No announcement yet.

Living Alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We don't have food delieveries here and we don't have any shops close without steps either.

Tell me I can take 10 basket just only for those thing

And I have to let the basket in the shop and fill a platic bag with my things, so I litterally have to steel to get a basket.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

To those who were keeping their fingers crossed:thank you very much. It must have worked, I got the job!

Now I get to test all of your wonderful tips out in practice.

Comment

Let me be the first to say YAHOOOOO!

You just made my day. Kick ass and take names!
        Blog:
        Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Oh, Sara, I am so happy for you!! This is wonderful news, many blessings on all aspects of working and living!
          MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Originally posted by Saranoya View Post
            To those who were keeping their fingers crossed:thank you very much. It must have worked, I got the job!

Now I get to test all of your wonderful tips out in practice.
            Good to hear. Best of luck starting the job and moving.
            C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

It's that I can't seem to figure out a safe way to transport the cooked meal from the counter to the dining table. If I try to bring pots and pans to the table, I burn my thighs, and if I try to bring a full plate to the table, nine times out of ten, it drops to the floor before I get there.

Also challenging: using a vacuum cleaner, taking out the trash, and transporting heavy loads of laundry while outdoors (I need to be able to do this, because I don't drive, and I won't have the money to buy my own washing machine right away).
              - Sara
              Congrats on the job!

As others have suggested a lapboard for meals is a must, but also look into Dycem to put on the lapboard. It's a rubbery material and it'll keep things from sliding around and or off. http://www.dycem-ns.com/rehab.php

For vacuuming I have an Oreck with a loop style handle. Like this: http://www.oreck.com/Oreck-XL-Signature-II-Power-Team other manufacturers have similar handles which makes it easier to push/pull w/o finger function. It's not getting the cord caught on the chair that's the real pain in the ass though. If you figure that out let me know.

And I have a Radio Flyer wagon for hauling heavy or awkward loads outdoors. I hook the handle to the crossbar on the back of the chair and pull it around like a trailer.

Comment

That is wonderful news!

Comment

Radio Flyer wagon...great idea. Just add bungie cords!

Says the woman that thinks if it can't be repaired w/ velcro, zipties, duct tape or baling wire, it needs to go in the trash.

Sara-Invest in all of the above! + bungie cords, obvs.
                  Blog:
                  Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

I'm so glad to hear the news! Good for you! ....and moving out, too...that's exciting.

Regarding the market basket link that someone posted. I have several of these and love them! They can be squashed down to almost nothing when not in use. I had no idea where to get them. Found them in a discount store here. Now, I can get even cuter ones!

About the kitchen and cooking. Look for a place with a kitchen that will allow you to put a table within reach of the counter. When I cook, I scoot stuff down the counter and onto the table without having to carry it. Works great if you can find the right kitchen layout.

Good luck with your move and your new job!

Comment

Oh, trust me, Betheny, this isn't me being 'holier than thou'. I'm pretty sure the worst sin I've committed is at least as bad as anyone's here, if not worse. I'm just too much of a coward to try and steal something so big and visible (because here, the staff will literally halt you when they see you try to walk out with a basket --you're supposed to bring your own container to carry things to your car in).
                      Now, it wouldn't be stealing if you use it at the same place you always buy groceries from?

It's still doing its job..i bet the manager of the store would let a WC regular use it just for that..
                      ---------
                      C5-6 / '88

Comment

Originally posted by Reed-edm View Post
                        Now, it wouldn't be stealing if you use it at the same place you always buy groceries from?

It's still doing its job..i bet the manager of the store would let a WC regular use it just for that..
                        Hmmm, I like your way of thinking.....

Comment

Hi everyone,

I may or may not have a job very soon: I made it through three rounds of in-person interviews, at the end of which I was told that they considered me a very strong candidate, and that they were supposed to see one more person, but he or she would have to do *extremely* well to get a leg up on me. I should know by this time tomorrow whether or not I got the job.

Since the job is about two hours away from here by public transport, though, I'll likely be looking to move if I get it. I have friends in the new city (which is why I would actually like to move), but none that I can move in with right now. I would probably be living alone.

In and of itself, living alone doesn't scare me. I basically lived alone for close to seven years when I was still in school. But that was before I became a full-time wheelchair user. For the past twelve-plus months, I've been living with my parents. My mother usually prepares the hot meals, and because she has rheumatic arthritis, we have hired help to do the cleaning once a week. If I had a job, I might be able to eat a hot meal at work once a day during the week, but were I to move out of my parents' house, that would still mean I'd have to cook for myself on the weekends.

Groceries are no problem: I can get them delivered on my doorstep by a supermarket close by. But cooking and then eating hot meals has proven to be somewhat logistically challenging for me, when I've tried to do it over the last year. Actually, when the supplies are all stowed in a place where I can get to them easily, the cooking itself isn't even the problem. It's that I can't seem to figure out a safe way to transport the cooked meal from the counter to the dining table. If I try to bring pots and pans to the table, I burn my thighs, and if I try to bring a full plate to the table, nine times out of ten, it drops to the floor before I get there.

Also challenging: using a vacuum cleaner, taking out the trash, and transporting heavy loads of laundry while outdoors (I need to be able to do this, because I don't drive, and I won't have the money to buy my own washing machine right away).

If anyone has any pointers on how to accomplish any of these things independently, I'd be delighted to hear about them. Keep in mind that I will be renting, so remodeling options are limited to moving some of the furniture around.

Thanks in advance!

- Sara
                          Move to NJ and partner up with me on a 2 br if you are clean with background check and we will have warm food here and there. I cant get housing for nothing with back ground check even though I reformed 7 yrs out the system. I have a nice amount of family down here who loves to cook and will bring me some. Im kidding but I do need housing really bad. Surely something in time will come through. I might have to move to another state just to get into housing and as well when it comes to care here it sucks.
                          life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com

Comment

I've had an employee follow me out saying you can't take that basket outside of the store! Stealing baskets is serious business I guess, now they put the security clips on the baskets too so if you leave the doors with one the alarm will go off.

Never made it home with one anyway...and honestly don't know if I would want one. I'm weird about germs and the idea of a Safeway or Walmart basket at my house grosses me out even if I sanitized it.

Eileen those are pretty baskets. Wish they had more designs to pick from.
                            Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Twenty years ago for me .. and I was watched like a hawk for a long time because you weren't allowed to take them out of the store. Problem was I needed something as convenient for when I got home!

Years later they sold plastic bins actually called 'bin shoppin' and I purchased two. Now I have purchased their canvas bags seeing as plastic isn't used up here at most drug and grocery stores in Windsor anymore ... and I think that's a good thing.

I've also more than made up for it since I've shopped at the same place for twenty years!
                              Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by november View Post
                                I've had an employee follow me out saying you can't take that basket outside of the store! Stealing baskets is serious business I guess, now they put the security clips on the baskets too so if you leave the doors with one the alarm will go off.

Never made it home with one anyway...and honestly don't know if I would want one. I'm weird about germs and the idea of a Safeway or Walmart basket at my house grosses me out even if I sanitized it.

Eileen those are pretty baskets. Wish they had more designs to pick from.
                                A kindred spirit! I hate touching those things. The germ ridden sub humans that inhabit the aisles of walmart creep me out. I wish I could go in there with a hazmat suit on.

Comment

Working...
                                X