Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom Eval for roll-in shower

Hi,
    I am looking for the best way to remodel my bathroom from a bathroom with a tub to a wheelchair accessible roll-in shower.

I think that I need some assistance from someone who is familiar with what would be the best way to approach this.
    I am in the NYC area.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Single family home or multiple dwelling (apt or condo)? What is the floor of the bathroom made out of now?

When we did ours, because the house was a single level on a concrete slab, we had to jack-hammer out the floor to create the required slope. We then repoured the floor and laid down non-slip 5" ceramic tiles on the floor, regular 5" ceramic tiles on the walls. We put in a ceiling hung shower curtain and a ceiling track lift that serves both the shower area and toilet.

Strongly recommend using a contractor who has done this type of work before. We didn't do that, and my father had to closely supervise their work, and several times they had to redo things that were blatantly wrong (but which he caught immediately).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

you can get low-threshold shower pans and install (have installed) on any floor with minimal alteration to said floor

this is how we remodeled our very small bathroom 9'6''x5'0''
      i'll post pics later

sketch out your bathroom and we can bounce ideas around
      Last edited by beecee; 07-18-2011, 01:48 PM.

Comment

jmoyn2339,

You will be glad to know about trench drains (also called linear drains) for your roll-in shower project.

Comment

Here is a PDF document that shows some "linear drain" installation information.

Comment

Hi KLD,
            I live in a 4th floor apt. I've been told by the buildings management that there is a four inch concrete slab under the tub. I'm looking for a way to convert the tub to a roll-in shower.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Hi Beecee,
              How do the low-threshold shower pans work? Do you have any additional info on them? Do they have a website?

Thanks

Comment

Hi WC Sage,
                Do you know if the trench drains will work on a raised slab conversion? Do you know any contractors in the NYC area that are familiar with tub to roll-in shower conversions?

Thanks

Comment

jmoyn2339,

Regarding "Hi WC Sage, Do you know if the trench drains will work on a raised slab conversion?" - the earlier post offers a PDF file that shows both a typical wood floor installation and a concrete slab installation.

Comment

i think the first thing you need to find out is whether or not you are allowed to tear out the tub

Comment

Hi Beecee,
                      I spoke with my buildings management regarding the tub to roll-in shower conversion. They initially told me 'they'd look into if it is possible to do'. They later told me that their contractor doesn't know how to make the conversion. They also told me that if I research the matter and come up with a way to make the conversion they'd allow it to be done.

They are also in the process of modernizing the building so this is the perfect time too make this conversion.

I'm also looking for someone who has done this type of conversion and is in the NYC area.

Do you have any tips?

Thanks,
                      John

Comment

Shower room

Roll in showers are on their way out and shower rooms are in.

I did my old roll in shower to a shower room in 2007. As I write this my new shower room is being tiled in my new residence. I'll add more tomorrow but meanwhile I'd go with a flat floor with trench drains, wall hung sink and a wall hung toilet. Your entire floor is cleared of obstacles. Duravit makes these fixtures.

If you follow ADAAG using the bathroom setup you should be fine with removing the tub. It will allow you to do a 360 degree turn around in a 5' x 5' area, layout properly.

Attached is a photo of my shower room in 2007 after they were done tiling.

I posted my shower room here under the titled, "Extreme Makeover: Shower Room Edition." Do a search at the top of the screen.

More tomorrow ...

Ti
                        "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

Hi Ti,
                          I'm not sure if my buildings management would allow me to use wall a hung sink and/or toilet.

I'm really confused and don't know what would be the best way to proceed. I think that I need someone who can come to my apartment and take a look at my bathroom and suggest what's best for me.

Do you know anyone in NY who has experience with these types of tub to roll-in/shower room conversions?

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas that you have.

Thanks,
                          John

Comment

Originally posted by jmoyn2339 View Post
                            Hi Ti,
                            I'm not sure if my buildings management would allow me to use wall a hung sink and/or toilet.

I'm really confused and don't know what would be the best way to proceed. I think that I need someone who can come to my apartment and take a look at my bathroom and suggest what's best for me.

Do you know anyone in NY who has experience with these types of tub to roll-in/shower room conversions?

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas that you have.

Thanks,
                            John
                            John,

My original bathroom was built in 1950. The size 60" x 93". The basic tub, toilet and sink. Take a picture of your current bathroom as is and give me the size of the bathroom. Do you own or rent this unit? If you own your unit you can do anything with it. This isn't rocket science here. This is gut the room and rebuild. You need a plumber, tile installer and an electrician.

My "dream team" did all the work but to speed up the job a plumber was called in. He was in by 8:00 a.m. and done by noon. Excellent workmanship.

In 2007 there were about 4 companies that made trench drains. Today there are many more. All you need is the trench drain not the grille. When tiling the floor let the underlayment or Hardiebacker®
                            board go over the trench drain leaving a 1" gap to allow water to roll over the tile into the drain. For the walls GlasRoc® on the walls.

I'll post more.

Ti

"We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

http://www.deltafaucet.com/landing/u...al-design.html

T, this may help explain your ideas. Right now we are still trying to figure out if we can do a linear drain but because of radient heat built into the cement floor. I was able to locate the architect so with a bit of drilling to get rid of the old pan and tile we should be able to go almost entirley flat with the linear drain too. Now if work would just start! And yes, my sink at least will be wall mount while the toilet can remain as is.
                              Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Working...
                              X