Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thinking of moving to Florida. Some input/advise would be appreciated..

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    shoc13

    Did you move?

    Comment


      #17
      Fla. bound, anyone here have regrets?

      For all the reasons an Fla. move is sure inviting to our busted up bodies, I'm afraid it might not turn out to be the best for our families, ie; those needing to work.
      Is this the case for any CC members??

      Comment


        #18
        I lived in Tampa for a number of years and liked it. My urologist was in Miami, Dr. Angelou Gousse. I don't think you are eligible for the exempt property tax. I can recommend a neurologist if needed. I lived in the South all of my life so the humidity was not an issue. There are some great home values right now.
        Incomplete T-12/L-1

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by corruptmonk
          if you're thinking still of relocating to Florida, it is a good idea to look down south. If you're afraid of the hurricane months then you might go inland away from the coasts. Condos are most likely immune to the weather due to reinforcement but single-family homes are most likely affected when you're out in breakwater.

          you DON'T/CAN'T avoid hurricanes in south florida by going "inland" as u say....there really is no inland...10-15 miles in from ocean u hit everglades ...the hurricanes go right across the state...they dont just affect the coasts...
          - Rolling Thru Life -

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Wheel Travel View Post
            I lived in Tampa for a number of years and liked it. My urologist was in Miami, Dr. Angelou Gousse. I don't think you are eligible for the exempt property tax. I can recommend a neurologist if needed. I lived in the South all of my life so the humidity was not an issue. There are some great home values right now.
            Are there income caps for quads buying homes in Florida when it comes to the property tax break? Is Tampa that humid in the winter months? I can deal with heat but have serious issues with high humidity.
            Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

            Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
              Are there income caps for quads buying homes in Florida when it comes to the property tax break? Is Tampa that humid in the winter months? I can deal with heat but have serious issues with high humidity.
              http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/propert...xemptions.html

              You get a tax exemption of $500....I think if your income falls below a certain level, you may be totally exempt.

              Yes, it is humid 24/7, but I was use to it. Matter of fact, I believe I will be returning in December.
              Incomplete T-12/L-1

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Wheel Travel View Post
                http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/propert...xemptions.html

                You get a tax exemption of $500....I think if your income falls below a certain level, you may be totally exempt.

                Yes, it is humid 24/7, but I was use to it. Matter of fact, I believe I will be returning in December.
                Quads
                Real estate used and owned as a homestead by a quadriplegic, less any portion used for commercial purposes, is exempt from all ad valorem taxation.
                Paras
                Real estate used and owned as a homestead by a paraplegic, hemiplegic, or other totally and permanently disabled person, who must use a wheelchair for mobility or who is legally blind, is exempt from taxation if the gross household income is below the current gross income limit. Gross income is the income, including veterans' and social security benefits, of all persons residing in the homestead.
                Foolish

                "We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

                "Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Foolish Old View Post
                  Quads
                  Paras
                  Thanks FO. I saw that too at http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/propert...exemptions.pdf and wondered if someone forgot to add the limited income for quads or if the total exemption I had heard about was the truth.

                  Humidity even in mid-winter? Ugh, even on the water? We liked the area, it's close to a VA SCI unit hospital and seems to escape the worst of hurricanes.
                  Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

                  Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    I live here in Weston, Fl. It's between Ft. L and Naples, an hour north of downtown Miami. We are a newer city nestled against the everglades along Alligator Alley, completely accessible, underground wiring. We lost power during a bad hurricane for only 15 min. I love it here, it's beautiful. In FL if you are a quad or blind, you are exempt no matter what your income is. If you are a para it is based on income. You do however have to pay non advalorem taxes which is basically city taxes for municipalities...it's minimal compared to normal property taxes.

                    With Paradise also comes drawbacks. Growing up in the NE I can compare. The weather here is beautiful except June-Sept. More so here, you find shady characters, a lesser work ethic, less benefits ... but still, I love it here and accept the flaws of Floriduh

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weston,_Florida

                    http://www.seminoletax.org/tax/advalorem.shtml
                    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
                    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

                    Comment


                      #25
                      I have promised my dog she would never have to worry about alligators munching on her. Alligator Alley? Don't think so. Although I had been to FLL and Pompano years back and they were fairly nice then but that was like 1980.
                      Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

                      Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        I'm so glad I don't live in FL anymore. I just know FL is going to get whacked again by Hurricanes. Plus I felt like an 80 year old retiree doing the same things over & over again. The only two things I liked were the tax breaks & the weather. When I move again it will be to hot AZ.
                        "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

                        -Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
                          I have promised my dog she would never have to worry about alligators munching on her. Alligator Alley? Don't think so. Although I had been to FLL and Pompano years back and they were fairly nice then but that was like 1980.
                          Awwww, well, I think your poor pup will be better served if you abide by the more civilized leash law we have here She'd be more at risk getting injured by a car...the alligators are more threatened by humans and keep to themselves (mostly) . The rednecks do get a sickening thrill hunting them down when they get too big or take a nibble of stupid humans
                          "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
                          ~"Vanilla Sky"~

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by Norm View Post
                            I'm so glad I don't live in FL anymore. I just know FL is going to get whacked again by Hurricanes. Plus I felt like an 80 year old retiree doing the same things over & over again. The only two things I liked were the tax breaks & the weather. When I move again it will be to hot AZ.
                            Really?? I loooove it here! Always so much to do! Sports, concerts, restaurants, beaches, boating, shopping, Miami!, Hollywood! Ft. Lauderdale! Naples! Keys! all so close by! Boca does seem a bit more fuddy duddy but then again, if your not happy where you are? Perhaps it's happiness from within you need to focus on and not your destination in life? :/
                            "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
                            ~"Vanilla Sky"~

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by Lorrie View Post
                              Really?? I loooove it here! Always so much to do! Sports, concerts, restaurants, beaches, boating, shopping, Miami!, Hollywood! Ft. Lauderdale! Naples! Keys! all so close by! Boca does seem a bit more fuddy duddy but then again, if your not happy where you are? Perhaps it's happiness from within you need to focus on and not your destination in life? :/
                              Well Delray Beach, next to Boca was hopping. But just wasn't into it anymore. I'm having a much better time back in my home town. I spent 15 years in Boca & Miami. I could have just stayed there because of the weather, but three hurricane hits in a row & a lost roof no power for over a month plus $6000.00 a year home owners insurance were enough for me. I will grant you happiness begins with myself. I knew that moving back here. Atleast I'm happier here.
                              "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

                              -Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Norm View Post
                                Well Delray Beach, next to Boca was hopping. But just wasn't into it anymore. I'm having a much better time back in my home town. I spent 15 years in Boca & Miami. I could have just stayed there because of the weather, but three hurricane hits in a row & a lost roof no power for over a month plus $6000.00 a year home owners insurance were enough for me. I will grant you happiness begins with myself. I knew that moving back here. Atleast I'm happier here.
                                Delray is beautiful, I've been there only a few times to visit a friend. I was raised in NJ, then moved to FL in 87-90 *pre Andrew* (Plantation), then to PA, then NJ again,,,couldn't wait for the opportunity to get back to FL! I've faced many small hurricanes but only 1 biggie, "Wilma". I lost some roof tiles and a few trees but thankfully our city has the underground wiring, only 15 min w/o power. All the other towns came to ours for food, gas....
                                When I lived alone in NJ, I dealt with so many blizzards, roads closing, no help able to get to me,,,was terrible. For me, Florida is an oasis
                                "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
                                ~"Vanilla Sky"~

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X